Pics that make you smile

I took her original Flickr photo and did a 15 second edit to desaturate it and there is no difference between her 'costume and make-up' and the people surrounding her.
Well, there wouldn't be, would there, no matter how the original effect was achieved.
There is however, a very clear difference between her in the original picture, and her in the image you desaturated. If you can't see that, you need to calibrate your screen. Or do some measurements in Photoshop or something.
You also need to explain the videos that have been posted. If it was a hoax it probably took more effort than doing it for real.

PS taking the original pic into Photoshop, switching to Lab colour and looking at one of the 'colour' channels (a) gives this:
Desat-Lab-a.jpg

There is still colour info on her. Your desaturated pic shows uniform grey everywhere.
Doesn't prove it's real, but if it's faked there's a lot of subtlety at play. And again, there are the videos to explain.

DeShopped.jpg

Last edited:
So what else is new in a thread intended to make you smile instead of frown? Perhaps I should post some unedited audio of my singing, guaranteed to make you smile in relief as you quickly hit the mute button :p

Phil

Well, there wouldn't be, would there, no matter how the original effect was achieved.
There is however, a very clear difference between her in the original picture, and her in the image you desaturated. If you can't see that, you need to calibrate your screen. Or do some measurements in Photoshop or something.
You also need to explain the videos that have been posted. If it was a hoax it probably took more effort than doing it for real.

PS taking the original pic into Photoshop, switching to Lab colour and looking at one of the 'colour' channels (a) gives this:
View attachment 18742

There is still colour info on her. Your desaturated pic shows uniform grey everywhere.
Doesn't prove it's real, but if it's faked there's a lot of subtlety at play. And again, there are the videos to explain.

View attachment 18743

There are different techniques that may have been used to achieve the image in question, not necessarily desaturation and finding some color info in the LAB channel is basically irrelevant.

Close examination of the image reveals numerous telltale signs of Photoshop manipulation which could be easily be demonstrated here in this thread but all you really need to do to know that this image was done in Photoshop is to take a very close look at the woman's eyes which are also B&W grayscale (with a light tint overlay) and not something you could fake easily with makeup, even with customized contact lenses.

eyes.png

Last edited:
...There is however, a very clear difference between her in the original picture, and her in the image you desaturated. If you can't see that, you need to calibrate your screen. Or do some measurements in Photoshop or something....
That's because I took the image that already had her in B&W (the only image I had available) and desaturated to demonstrate the tonal qualities, which also had the effect of further affecting the already B&W portion. This was done in about 15 seconds, without masking or other selective application of the effect, on an uncalibrated laptop so the result does not meet Hollywood standards, my apologies for that.

You also need to explain the videos that have been posted. If it was a hoax it probably took more effort than doing it for real....

Actually I don't 'need to' but a quick search on the 'net and I found this which shows exactly how color manipulation is done on videos. (Video manipulation is not something I do so it was necessary for me to find sources other than my personal knowledge.)

This particular sample shows the background being altered by inverting the selection mask. To do the foreground object just don't perform the inversion, and to do B&W manipulate the color saturation instead of the color itself. Doing it for real would likely take an effort orders of magnitude greater than manipulating the video in post production.

I would totally expect at least one of the color channels to show something in a greyscale image since grey is nothing more than a combination of other primary colors. What's your point?

Finally, in her comments on Flickr in just about every instance where she's depicted in B&W why does she use the term 'desaturated'? I don't ever recall referring to my apparel as 'desaturated' when wearing a white shirt with a grey tie and black suit (have you?) - but I use the term regularly when describing editing techniques I've used.

And while you're answering that last question you can address this one as well. Why in the pictures/videos where she is "B&W" is no one paying any attention to her? If it were a 'real world event' she would be the center of attention.

You're free to believe what you want but there is no doubt in my mind, absolutely none, that what is posted on Flickr are altered photos and videos.

I would totally expect at least one of the color channels to show something in a greyscale image since grey is nothing more than a combination of other primary colors. What's your point?
I'm specifically referring to the a and b channels in the Lab colour representation. Any monochrome image (be it greyscale, sepia tone, or whatever) has constant colour/tone but the luminance varies. So the L channel will have variance, but the a and b channels will each be constant across the image (but can be different to each other.) My point is that the original image of her is not monochrome. Colour is there, but all the colours are close to grey.

Edit> OK, this is good ... what happens if we select her, and resaturate the colour info? (By +84 throughout here...)
ResaturatedSanta.jpg

Wait ... that's funny. Her clothes aren't red, and her skin isn't flesh coloured! Could it be that they weren't in the first place?

why does she use the term 'desaturated'?
That's was the point of the exercise. To make her look like she was desaturated in Photoshop. But in real life. To mess with people's minds.

Why in the pictures/videos where she is "B&W" is no one paying any attention to her?
They are. But it's not like she just appeared out of nowhere at the moment the pictures were taken so you'd expect to see people's jaws dropping.

Last edited:
I'm specifically referring to the a and b channels in the Lab colour representation. Any monochrome image (be it greyscale, sepia tone, or whatever) has constant colour/tone but the luminance varies. So the L channel will have variance, but the a and b channels will each be constant across the image (but can be different to each other.) My point is that the original image of her is not monochrome. Colour is there, but all the colours are close to grey....
All that 'proves' is some method other than 'desaturate' was used.

Edit: Hey, no fair editing your post after I respond to it. ;)

That's was the point of the exercise. To make her look like she was desaturated in Photoshop. But in real life. To mess with people's minds....
Still don't buy it. The only 'minds' she's messing with are those viewing on Flickr. To me the big 'giveaway' is in the video 'of the crowd' she just happened to be looking at the camera when it panned past her. Too much of a coincidence for me.

They are. ...
I see no evidence of that in any of the photos or the video. If she was really there in B&W she would be such an anomaly that there would be at least one person looking at her and very likely many, regardless of how long she had been there.

It's probably time to just agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited:
No pictures but i am still having fun :)

Not appropriate, but funny none the less
french.jpg

My reaction shall be known only to the outside glass of my CRT monitor

Got to be honest, after Charlie Ebdo... after train attack, they military and other forces at least could have reacted quicker.. 1.5 Hrs of slaughter in the club, before entering... Must/need to step up the game.

That time would be beaten here hands down, and i do not mean we would react faster, we would be half a day about trying to do the same, and we would fail.

Legs of Cat Dangler

Phil

Back