Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD

dv8ed said:
Blackvue doesn't have an iPad app correct? I could only download iPhone version so it's only a small screen window when app opens?

There is no iPad app for this. You can put the iPhone app on the iPad but it's still gonna be small. There is a 2X magnify button on the iPad tho.

Des said:
Ok have just purchased this cam... it's OK for the price I suppose, but the video quality could be better.
Negatives:
* Video quality on the highest setting is aweful, really pixelated at speed (changed the card to 32gb Sandisk... bit better but still ****e) Definately not HD.

I know the manual only mention 16 and 32gb cards, but will the unit accept 64gb or even 128gb micro SDHC cards?
Have anybody tried??

great dane said:
Des said:
Ok have just purchased this cam... it's OK for the price I suppose, but the video quality could be better.
Negatives:
* Video quality on the highest setting is aweful, really pixelated at speed (changed the card to 32gb Sandisk... bit better but still ****e) Definately not HD.

I know the manual only mention 16 and 32gb cards, but will the unit accept 64gb or even 128gb micro SDHC cards?
Have anybody tried??

I would say not, if it could accept larger it would certainly be something you would want to promote

Have anybody tried??
[/quote]

I would say not, if it could accept larger it would certainly be something you would want to promote[/quote]

That's because it will only accept Micro SDHC cards and 32GB is the largest. 64GB and higher are Micro SDXC format, which is not supported.

I would say not, if it could accept larger it would certainly be something you would want to promote[/quote]

That's because it will only accept Micro SDHC cards and 32GB is the largest. 64GB and higher are Micro SDXC format, which is not supported.[/quote]

No, you are wrong on the last point. There are 64gb SDHC cards available from both sandisk and Samsung.
Are there any on this forum, who have actually tried a 64gb SDHC in the blackvue dr500gw???

Mtz said:
Reading your comment about settings and conditions I think it is pixelated because of your slow PC or a bad media player. If yes, try them on another PC or upload (as private) in Youtube and check the quality again.

enjoy,
Mtz

:lol:
My PC is a gaming PC running 2xATI 6990's... so its not that...have tried different media players also. I have also tried my MacBook Pro but same pixelation at speed.

I have uploaded to youtube like you have suggested and guess what???... still the same quality problems with the lighting and pixelation.

I will live with it... as it does the job of capturing accidents, but should not be marketed as an HD camera IMO.

Des said:
I have uploaded to youtube like you have suggested and guess what???... still the same quality problems with the lighting and pixelation.

I will live with it... as it does the job of capturing accidents, but should not be marketed as an HD camera IMO.

I had the same concerns about the quality of the video... It is definitely good, but compare it to a gopro camera, which is 1080p HD, and the difference is quite dramatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned from the dash cam producers that the SD Cards are "consumables" because of continuous data writing so we can expect in a not very long time to buy another card because the old one is finished. And this is for me the reason to not buy an expensive card, maybe the 16GB option is the best choice.
Des said:
:lol:
My PC is a gaming PC running 2xATI 6990's... so its not that...have tried different media players also. I have also tried my MacBook Pro but same pixelation at speed.

Man. please tell your gaming PC that Mtz is sorry about it because I said it is slow. :P

If other users don't have the same problems with your settings try another card.

enjoy,
Mtz

So question to you guys who own this.
Is this unit warm to the touch?
It is winter and it is still warm to the touch and was wondering if that is normal or not.

Thanks!

I drove 150 miles yesterday to wales, with a inside car temp of 21c climate control.
I did touch the device some 2hr 45mins later, and it was only warm to touch. Not a ouch, that's crazy hot touch, just warm.
like a warm kettle 3hrs from boiling. warm as a piece of toast, touching after five minuets (doesn't toast get cold quick!!! - hate that!)

Yes it's winter in england. It was 10c and peeing down with rain as usual!

Des said:
Audime said:
.. And yes winter in Wales! Lol

What's your pic quality like?

is this bad... or normal? Video example

yep... there were obstacles in the road :o

Yeah to be honest that looks pretty poor , your screen looks terribly dirty also as if there's condensation inside or rain outside ? , is that how it looks in the raw format when you view on computer , what settings do you have compression etc on ?

Bulky said:
Des said:
Audime said:
.. And yes winter in Wales! Lol

What's your pic quality like?

is this bad... or normal? Video example

yep... there were obstacles in the road :o

Yeah to be honest that looks pretty poor , your screen looks terribly dirty also as if there's condensation inside or rain outside ? , is that how it looks in the raw format when you view on computer , what settings do you have compression etc on ?

My screen was not dirty... that just shows how bad the quality is ;)

I have tried both 'normal' and 'high' compression... no real difference in quality... Same quality when viewed on a computer also.

Definately something on your screen , you can see it moving , rain reflecting on the lense perhaps seeing as you don't use your wipers ? , I have a better picture in the dark than that !!! , where did you buy the camera, just doesn't look right , I get a bit of a pixelated picture in the dark but the more I watch that the more I think something's amiss !!

Bulky said:
Definately something on your screen , you can see it moving , rain reflecting on the lense perhaps seeing as you don't use your wipers ? , I have a better picture in the dark than that !!! , where did you buy the camera, just doesn't look right , I get a bit of a pixelated picture in the dark but the more I watch that the more I think something's amiss !!

I have contacted the seller and they are dealing with the issue. They have seen the video and said that its not right... also get the light/dark flickering which is really annoying... this is evident in this video.

When i'm at a standstill the picture is good.... its just at speed it gets really pixelated.

Your lens is clean? Can you offer a small sample of the original video? You can use sendspac.com for uploading for real free. If you have samples with both settings, put the setting used in the filename

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Des,

That picture quality appears below average for this camera. Note that I have read Russian users are experiencing some pixelation (not as bad as your video) and are hacking the firmware to increase the bit rate. This has helped improve the picture quality.

One other thing I wanted to point out. This video, like many others with pixelation, has a lot of trees. It seems that these dash cams struggle when driving on streets with a lot of trees. How is the video on city streets?

DashCamMan said:
Hi Des,

That picture quality appears below average for this camera. Note that I have read Russian users are experiencing some pixelation (not as bad as your video) and are hacking the firmware to increase the bit rate. This has helped improve the picture quality.

One other thing I wanted to point out. This video, like many others with pixelation, has a lot of trees. It seems that these dash cams struggle when driving on streets with a lot of trees. How is the video on city streets?

Here is another video...this will show that when slowing or at a complete stop the quality is good, but when driving, its really poor. What's with the light/dark flickering????...I cannot really do anything about the trees where I live. ;)

A camera that is allergic to trees...AWESOME! :lol: :lol:

Video Footage

Back