please educate me

onestout

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been searching for a while now and not really finding a definitive answer so I will ask it here. I bought a dash cam a couple/few years ago and never looked at any of the video/images. I went to view some footage from a recent trip and all it had were 1 minute clips about every 30minutes-1 hour. No continuous recording while driving. I was looking into the settings and it appears that this is what it does, am I understanding this correct? Are there cameras that will record the entire time I am driving? Is it something I am doing wrong with my current camera (Vava)? Thank you for your feedback.

When there's a recording in process, the camera needs to get a buffer of video, and then save it to a file. The problem with trying to keep one file open and record continuously into it is that if there's the slightest problem or power glitch, the entire file is corrupted and lost. Dashcams compensate by doing short files, so that if something bad happens, only the last minute is lost. So they all work like that, and the file length can vary between 1 minute and 3 minutes depending on the dashcam brand and settings.

The number of minutes you'll record is dependent on the size of the memory card. If you're only getting 30 to 60 minutes on your card, it's probably pretty small. The resolution of the video also comes into play.

There's lots of software around that'll let you stitch the short segments together. And also software viewers that allow you to just point to the folder where all the 1-minute files are and will handle loading them to show you a continuous session.

Hi onestout, all dash cams are designed to record every second you are driving. The first and easiest thing to do is to check that the SD card you are using is supported by the manufacturer. If so, format the card inside of the camera and review your next footage.

Which Vava camera and which brand, model and size of SD card are you using?

ok, so it is recording, I was thinking it might be. I tried to look at it but the video is pretty short and I could view the entire thing/clip, what am I doing wrong there? I could download the large file but it would only show me about 1 minute of footage. I'll get the camera model in a minute. for each "loop" there is 1 large and 1 small file saved going back to 2021. Thank you for the quick replies

the dash cam is a VAVA 1080.....that is all I can find for a model number....it is still on their website

The VA-CD001

What size micro SD card are you using? The camera supports a maxmum of 128GB.

It is in my truck which isn't here but then I remembered I can look up the original order......I bought a 128gb card with it when I bought the camera, so it will have that card in it.

there is 1 large and 1 small file saved going back to 2021.

Not trying to be funny but can you tells us what the file size of the large file is?
This may help work out how long the video should run (a bit of guestimation required)

Posting one of the video files to a Dropbox where we can have a look would also help.

The second smaller file could be the gps information. Open it with a text editor on your computer and you may find it's readable text with gps coordinates in it and speed etc.

Cheers

With large gaps in the time, I wonder if you have a poor connection or ground that is providing intermittent power to the camera.

Welcome to the forum onestout.

I am not familiar with Vava systems, but erratic recording are often to blame on 3 tings.
1: use of a alternative power source, or a power source on the way out ( this could also be use of a poor quality USB cable ) ( this you can usually test by using the provided power source )
2: the memory card. These do not last forever, i have even had good brand ones die on me before i was able to fill the just 64GB card once. generally though i do get a few ( 2 - 3 ) years out of a memory card if not more. But i also just drive 15 minutes or so a day on average, if you drive more you of course record more and so wear out the card faster as they have a set number of full read / write cycles.
3: the wire to the rear camera compromised in some way, so if you have a 2 channel system try and pull the plug for the rear camera at the front unit to see if that change things for the front camera working alone.

So it is worth testing the card for errors and read & write speeds, there is a little free tool called H2testw or the SD Orgs own SDformatter tool that will just format the whole card, you will want to run the full format test.
Of course if you only have one of those silly little USB/memory card adapters that come with some dashcams then you will not get the full speed of a fast card as they are simple not able to do that, for that to work you will need a fast USB 3.0 or better card reader plugged into a USB 3.0 or better socket in your computer.

There are also other free drive test tools like crystaldiskmark ASO thise should also test your card speeds and report any bad sectors ASO

It could also be a matter of the card not being compatible with the system, this is a fact with all the brands, though some do work with more brand / model memory cards than others ( the brand might have a list of compatible memory cards on their site )
In general i find that most often a none compatible card will work, but when it is filled up it will start to act funny, a card just not wanting to work at all, even if it is functional in other devises, well it is rare i have seen that.

It is important you look at your memory card now and then, play a few seconds of some of the recordings ( i tend to focus on first and last segment in a drive session )
It should not take more than 10 minutes or so doing this, things worth looking at is drive sessions starting or ending in weird places, your drives should start in places you know, and not 1/4 mile down the road from a know place.
Me i am very set, so my places are home - mothers place - friends place - my favorite gas station - my favorite place for shopping, so that is where i expect drive sessions to start or stop.
If you are a working man, then your place / places of work will be in there too. i am retired for health reasons myself so no more working for me.

If you look at the memory card every few months it will be good.
Many / most new models, they will actually sound a alert if it is not able to record for some reason, this was / is a major flaw in old cameras as even the REC LED will be lit up indicating recording going on, even if its not really doing that.

Last edited:
Lots of good things to look into here, I will hopefully get me truck back from the dealer before the weekend and I will go over these once I get it back and can take a look at things.

The smaller file is just another video the same as the larger file from what I can tell.....when I view them they are the same, 1 just takes longer to download.

Back