positioning and reflections

unlocated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

new to the dashcam world and already puzzled.
not sure what's the best position:
- what is the best picture? I positioned mine so that it is slightly turned towards right.
- how to avoid glare and reflections? I have issues with sunny but also not much sunny days (as you can see here, with bad drivers' bonus
)

thanks!

Welcome to forum. I usually also try to aim the way to have a horizon in the middle ( half sky / half earth ). Forward looking aim I set the way that it catched evenly left and right side of A pillar or car bonnet.

Hi there!

new to the dashcam world and already puzzled.
not sure what's the best position:
- what is the best picture? I positioned mine so that it is slightly turned towards right.
- how to avoid glare and reflections? I have issues with sunny but also not much sunny days (as you can see here, with bad drivers' bonus
)

thanks!

Place the camera as high on the windscreen as you can so that you can aim it downwards. Doesn't have to be in the centre, but aim it towards the centre of the bonnet. And as @niko said, get about 1/2 and 1/2 sky/earth.

You can improve the picture quite a lot by eliminating some glare from the shiny, vinyl dashboard which is apparent in your video, by covering the dashboard. Test this out by placing a non-reflective cover (bath towel, pillowcase, etc.) across the dashboard and see the difference. If you like what you see you might consider getting a proper dashboard cover (dash mat).

I have my front facing camera angled slightly to the passenger side (nearside), to better capture the nutters who pull out from side roads directly into my path.

Aiming the camera downwards, so you capture 40% above & 60% below the horizon, will help to prevent the sky from dominating the exposure.

M25.jpg

I hope that your G1W issues are resolved soon.

Last edited:
I agree with russ331... a lot of bright sky means the camera will automatically set the exposure level to suit the sky and the road will be underexposed and too dark. I try to aim the camera downwards and have 1/3rd sky and 2/3rds. road.

Reflections of the dashboard are reduced if you can position the lens right up to the screen. If you put something on the dashboard to reduce reflections, make sure it does not have any visible weave or pattern... it means the camera is having to film more detail and makes the video "blocky" (like when driving through trees in bright sunshine)... a smooth, dark, matt finish is best.

In my bus, the mobius is at the very top of the screen (mounted to a metal strip coming off the sunshade mounting bracket, with an additional fixing into the 'cardboard' headliing to provide stability against the 'jello' video footage) and also mounted to the offside of the screen, only an inch or so away from the edge.
The screen is about 4feet top to bottom.
Even though the lens is mounted as close to the glass as possible, I still get reflections...

Back