Potential SG9665GC buy

I would probably have a SG9665GC if it wasn't for the big sensor housing on my windscreen which blocks the line of sight to one side unless a cam can sit underneath (which in my case would not be easy to comply with UK laws regarding objects obstructing the driver's field of view).

I have a similar situation due to a required vehicle safety inspection sticker directly behind the rear view mirror in the dash cam "sweet spot". I have my SG9665GC mounted about 7 inches to the right of the rear-view mirror mount but aimed towards the center of the road. Simply attach the SG mounting plate with an extra layer of 3M VHB tape in a vertical strip along one side so that it points the camera a few degrees to left or right depending on your vehicle's requirements. The mini 0806 is supplied with some small mounting wedges just for this purpose but you can achieve the same thing with a bit of extra VHB tape. If necessary you can even use two extra layers of tape along one side to tilt the horizontal axis of the camera a few extra degrees. This method will not affect the adhesion security of the mount even if you do not have full contact along the entire back of the mounting plate.

Many of us have a sensor housing to contend with. Mine wasn't a major obstacle to mounting an SGZC12RC ...

View attachment 19391 View attachment 19392

The underside of your housing looks like it could be a suitable mounting location for a Mobius or JooVuu X.

I never said it wasn't suitable for a SG-RC or an X. ;) :)

My sensor housing is very large. It measures 24cm (9.5") in each direction - roughly comparable in size to an A4 sheet of paper! Because it's so large it already takes a large chunk out of my field of view and I'm wary of pushing my luck regarding the legality and windscreen obstruction laws because I don't think it would take much for an MoT tester to fail me on that - and if a cam is permanently mounted with adhesive I cant remove the cam every year when it fails the MoT.

...........I have my SG9665GC mounted about 7 inches to the right of the rear-view mirror mount but aimed towards the center of the road.......

Unfortunately that would interfere with the use of the sun-visor. Plus, as you note: the SG9665GC would be looking to one side due to the curve of the windscreen so would need some careful packing to get it angled correctly.

Here's another picture showing just how huge the sensor housing is, plus how a cam several inches to the side at the top of the windscreen would interfere with the sun visor. I stuck a 5cm (2") diameter suction mount underneath to give an idea of scale - and the dashcam which can be seen is about 6.5cm (2.5") as another indication of the scale of the problem.

-

Well, yes, it "would need some careful 'packing' to get it angled correctly", whatever that means but it is really quite easy actually. In my vehicle the camera fits just fine on the the black dotted area to the right of what corresponds to the sensor housing in your car and doesn't in any way interfere with the sun visor. Be that as it may, I only flip the visor down when actually needed on occasion rather than leave it down at all times as you appear to do and if it were near my camera it would merely hide it temporarily rather than "interfere". Sounds like the SG966GC is not the camera for you.

BTW, there are windshield obstruction laws were I live too but with the SG mounted on the black dotted area with its lens peeking out just below it is quite stealthy and draws no attention from the authorities.

Last edited:
.......I only flip the visor down when actually needed on occasion rather than leave it down at all times as you appear to do.....

My car also has a shallow windscreen angle, and I find it easier to get a clear view of the road ahead with the sun visor down.
Additionally, the local weather patterns tend to have a lot of bright white cloud so the sky is usually very bright.

So the sun visors spend a lot of time in-use for both me and any front-seat passengers - the visors are used almost all the time almost every day during daylight hours.

Concerns of legal positioning are three-fold:
MoT failure
Police spot check
Questioning in court regarding whether my cam was affecting my view of the road and contributed to an accident, or, indeed, whether the position of the cam and/or its mount rendered my car 'unroadworthy' by the letter of the law (a 4cm obstruction anywhere in the wiper sweep zone of a windscreen renders a car unroadworthy - and it only needs to be 1cm in the area above the steering wheel).

I was merely suggesting a simple method of mounting an SG9665GC to the right or left of mid-center so that it can be aimed towards the center of your bonnet in response to your complaint. I wasn't looking to engage in an lengthy debate about your particular vehicle or the laws in your country. To repeat what I said in my last post, it sounds like the SG966GC is not the camera for you. That's about all I have to say on the matter.

I was merely suggesting a simple method of mounting an SG9665GC to the right or left of mid-center so that it can be aimed towards the center of your bonnet in response to your complaint. I wasn't looking to engage in an lengthy debate about your particular vehicle or the laws in your country. To repeat what I said in my last post, it sounds like the SG966GC is not the camera for you. That's about all I have to say on the matter.

Ah... the product of Ameri "charm school". :D:D

some say Trump attended:D

merry xmas Dash :cool:

And a very merry holiday to you too petey. No doubt a lesson or two in "charm" would do you a bit of good yourself.

They say...

"you cant polish a turd ":D:D:D:D

whats with the choice of words "merry holiday" ???

you a religious fanatic of strange faith :D

I don't quite know why you feel so often compelled to engage in juvenile behavior like this but I have no interest in being sucked in with your gratuitous baiting and trolling. Bye.

Concerns of legal positioning are three-fold:
MoT failure
Police spot check
Questioning in court regarding whether my cam was affecting my view of the road and contributed to an accident...

If my sensor housing was as large & flat looking as yours, I would mount the camera to it's underside.

When I transferred my SGZC12RC from old to new car, the 3M adhesive pad peeled off cleanly, leaving no residue. If I had to remove the mount once a year for MoT purposes, it would only take a couple of minutes, so no big deal.

As for the police, etc, I think you're needlessly nervous. Judging by where people choose to mount their SatNavs, mobile phones & radar detectors, the police don't seem remotely interested in enforcing the relevant law.

that's huge, what car is it?

It's a Vauxhall Astra (the 'J' / mk6 version which was manufactured from 2009-2015 and has just been superseded by the 'K' / mk7).

Astras are very common cars on UK roads (and are sold under the Opel brand in Europe). It was the 5th most common car purchase in the UK in 2014 despite the design being five years old.
There are lots of other Vauxhall models on the UK roads too; about one in eight cars on UK roads is a Vauxhall of some sort.

.......When I transferred my SGZC12RC from old to new car, the 3M adhesive pad peeled off cleanly, leaving no residue.....

Interesting.
When I changed car, the adhesive wasn't re-usable on my DP100 mount.
Fortunately Transcend include a second adhesive pad in the box.
Maybe the smaller adhesive pad of the SG-RC makes it easier to remove.

just looked it up, huge rake to the window on that one

Yes, some dash cam mounts are borderline as to whether there's enough adjustment.
Prior to this car I had a GTC version of the Astra and the windscreen on that is slightly flatter still, meaning that a Mio 5-series mount has the camera looking upwards by several degrees even with the mount on full adjustment.

Yes, some dash cam mounts are borderline as to whether there's enough adjustment.
Prior to this car I had a GTC version of the Astra and the windscreen on that is slightly flatter still, meaning that a Mio 5-series mount has the camera looking upwards by several degrees even with the mount on full adjustment.

I know it's the order of the day in recent years to go chasing fuel economy but you must bake in summer in that window, you would in Australia at least

I know it's the order of the day in recent years to go chasing fuel economy but you must bake in summer in that window, you would in Australia at least

The 'long' windscreen is probably why I have the sun visor in-use a lot of the time - I complained in an earlier post that 'white cloud' skies were a real nuisance.

But it gets even better (pic of the car below - sun visor in-use position)......... :D :eek:

Maybe that's why my Nextbase 402G (DOD LS430W variant) didn't last through its first summer.
Temperature in the shade (under the instrument overhang) can reach 50'C in my car in summer (I measured it) but I didn't dare measure how hot it gets in the sunny parts.
Hence I have a bit of an interest in capacitor cams nowadays. ;)

-

Back