Potential SG9665GC buy

steve11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, Mini 0806 running off a Lukas 290 hardwire
Hi,

After a frustrating 6 months use of the Mini 0806 I've decided to give up on that crap unit and look for a new brand.

Question being, like the new Mini Series that is due out, does Street Guardian have an upcoming model that will supercede the SG9665GC?

Also any reason as to why this camera doesn't have internal GPS, that's always a useful addition.

the SG9665GC is not being replaced anytime soon, GPS wouldn't fit internally in this chassis, there's no room, it's smaller than it might look in photos

internal GPS has a convenience about it, external GPS works better

there's no room, it's smaller than it might look in photos
That's a key point for me, size, the smaller the better. Is there much of a size difference between the Mini 0806 and the SG9665GC?

That's a key point for me, size, the smaller the better. Is there much of a size difference between the Mini 0806 and the SG9665GC?

I don't have an 0806 to give you comparison photos, the shape and mounting arrangement is different and will fit in spaces that an 0806 won't as it's closer to the window

where are you located?

When mounted in the car, if looking from outside, the "footprint" of SG9665GC is smaller than 0806.

I don't have an 0806 to give you comparison photos, the shape and mounting arrangement is different and will fit in spaces that an 0806 won't as it's closer to the window

where are you located?

I'm from Melbourne.

My car is a 2009 Mondeo with a rain sensor in the middle of the windscreen, so I have to afix the camera off centre. The small footprint is a must for discretion.

I'm from Melbourne.

My car is a 2009 Mondeo with a rain sensor in the middle of the windscreen, so I have to afix the camera off centre. The small footprint is a must for discretion.

You may also consider SGZC12RC

if you're anywhere near Mitcham, SSV in Whitehorse Road have them in stock. hard to judge size without seeing them

cheers Jokiin, there's a SSV closer to me in the Northern Suburbs. I'll go in and check out the SG9665GC. There website advertised a dashcam Saturday sale that just passed, hopefully they're still able to offer sale prices.

cheers Jokiin, there's a SSV closer to me in the Northern Suburbs. I'll go in and check out the SG9665GC. There website advertised a dashcam Saturday sale that just passed, hopefully they're still able to offer sale prices.

the other SSV doesn't have any, only Mitcham do, Complete Options in Clayton South are a dealer also but not sure if they have stock right now

Will try that out once I purchase the cam. My sensor housing isn't the firmest plastic material, have you noticed any vibration in the camera from mounting direct to housing?
My housing isn't all the rigid either. It has a bit of flex but not a lot.

As for vibration, in the link I posted I had used industrial strength Velcro to mount it (removed the VHB tape from the mounting plate and replaced with the Velcro) and it was more than strong enough to hold the camera in place. The nature of the Velcro did cause some minor vibration on rough roads, railroad crossings, and that sort of stuff - nothing so severe that the video was unusable. I've since replaced the Velcro with Dual-Lock tape which seems to be holding just as well and has eliminated the occasional vibrations.

I should note that the day after I switched from the Velcro to Dual-Lock tape I had parked outside (about 90F) facing into the sun for about 7 hours and the Dual-Lock tape had separated from the housing and the camera was hanging by the power/GPS cables.

I suspect this was my fault for not paying attention to the common sense details when applying the Dual-Lock. Since I was in a hurry I just removed the Velcro from the mounting plate and housing and immediately applied the Dual-Lock, failing to clean any residue from the housing. I've since done it properly (new Dual-Lock tape, clean the surface with alcohol, allow to 'cure' for 24 hours, etc.) and have not had any recurrence since.

Edit: I should also mention that I went with the Velcro/Dual-Lock mounting because I wasn't sure how it would work out being mounted on the housing so I wanted to use something that gave me more positioning options than the VHB tape did. In retrospect I was pretty much worried about nothing.

Last edited:
I replaced my wife's Mini 0801 and my Mini 0803 (both crap!) with SG9665GC and I can't speak highly enough of the product, the dealers and the support provided by them both direct and on this forum.

I find the form factor of the SG9665GC far superior compared to the Mini series but I appreciate everyone has different requirements.

I would definitely suggest you try and take a look at one to see how you feel it would fit for you.

Recording quality is very good especially in low light.

I hope you find what you are looking for but I can say as an owner I have never found a manufacturer and dealer network that supports its customers and stands by its products so well.

I replaced my wife's Mini 0801 and my Mini 0803 (both crap!) with SG9665GC and I can't speak highly enough of the product, the dealers and the support provided by them both direct and on this forum.

I find the form factor of the SG9665GC far superior compared to the Mini series but I appreciate everyone has different requirements.

I would definitely suggest you try and take a look at one to see how you feel it would fit for you.

I hope you find what you are looking for but I can say as an owner I have never found a manufacturer and dealer network that supports its customers and stands by its products so well.
2nd that

thanks for the feedback

I have to 3rd that and 4th that and 5th that and 6th that and 7th that and 8th that......................... ...................................................................................... ........................................................................... ........................................................................... ...........................................................................

I have to 3rd that and 4th that and 5th that and 6th that and 7th that and 8th that......................... ...................................................................................... ........................................................................... ........................................................................... ...........................................................................
:)

I would probably have a SG9665GC if it wasn't for the big sensor housing on my windscreen which blocks the line of sight to one side unless a cam can sit underneath (which in my case would not be easy to comply with UK laws regarding objects obstructing the driver's field of view).
Some pictures below showing my problem - and where I have to fit a cam (no doubt the problem applies to many higher-tech modern cars where their owners want to have a cam which is also legal-ish in its positioning).

The real irony is that the large sensor housing is, itself, a major obstruction to my view of the road, especially when going uphill, double-especially when going up hills with a left turn and also not helped by me being quite tall so my eye-line is level with the mirror and sensor housing.

Some people might ask why I don't have a different car, but the problem is I find most cars to be too cramped and lacking legroom and/or headroom for me to drive them properly! What I have is the least worst option considering that my wife needs to be able to drive it occasionally so it needs to fit her too.

-

I would probably have a SG9665GC if it wasn't for the big sensor housing on my windscreen ...

Many of us have a sensor housing to contend with. Mine wasn't a major obstacle to mounting an SGZC12RC ...

image.jpg image.jpg

The underside of your housing looks like it could be a suitable mounting location for a Mobius or JooVuu X.

Back