Power On but no Auto Record

AMD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not a hobbyist; I am a consumer who watched Techmoans review after a fair amount of research and purchased this camera for my business vehicle. I just took delivery of a Wide Angle camera a few days ago, am running firmware v1.20 (out of the box) and am having no luck with Power On - Auto Record.

I realize there are issues revolving around capacitors and firmware versions - I am not a very technical person and am short on time for diagnosing the issue. I appreciate your hard work in bringing this product up to speed and capability. Could you help me do the same? :)

With the camera on (blue light, flashes then goes out) and plugged into a USB/receptacle and activated by my vehicles ignition, the yellow light goes solid and stays lit. At no point does the recording begin... well, only after I manually press the shutter button. Then it records and looks great!

What am I missing about auto record?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 3.10.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 3.10.04 PM.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 25
Try to change:
Power On Delay = Fast
and
Power Off Disconnected = Immediate

settings1.png

Thanks for the reply, Mister_rf

I changed the settings you suggested to no avail. The yellow light does go out after about 10 seconds or so when ignition is on... back into sleep mode I'd guess.

My settings include
Power ON- Auto Record = Both
I prefer this way, to start the Auto Record for pressing the Power On button also. You should at least give it a try. :)

My settings include
Power ON- Auto Record = Both
I prefer this way, to start the Auto Record for pressing the Power On button also. You should at least give it a try. :)

Thanks for the tip.. no luck.

My camera's Settings:

My settings.png

Is your motion detection disabled?
What cable are you using?
What happens if you use the same cable and power your camera from (for example) your laptop's USB, instead of your car's power source?

With the camera on (blue light, flashes then goes out) and plugged into a USB/receptacle and activated by my vehicles ignition, the yellow light goes solid and stays lit. At no point does the recording begin...

I may be misreading your intent, however, Mobius should be switched off until you turn the ignition key. At this point, Mobius should automatically power up & start recording.

If it doesn't, pull the power lead out of the accessory socket USB adapter while the engine is running, then reinsert the power lead. Mobius should now automatically power up & start recording. Does it?

Thank you very much for your help.

In both cases, the unit powers up and enters standby mode with a solid yellow light. I tried this with multiple USB chargers, cables and vehicles.

Harrumph....

Is your motion detection disabled?

What happens if you use the same cable and power your camera from (for example) your laptop's USB, instead of your car's power source?

What are the answers to the above questions? :)

Those are good questions lol I will have to look into this first thing in the morning. Will be in touch soon...

Motion Detection is off.

When plugged into a charging brick, unplugged and then plugged back in, the camera only powers on and moves to standby mode repeatedly. It still does not initiate Auto Record.

Motion Detection is off.

When plugged into a charging brick, unplugged and then plugged back in, the camera only powers on and moves to standby mode repeatedly. It still does not initiate Auto Record.
Most likely your charging brick puts a signal on the USB data wires (Pin #2 and #3) and the camera thinks it's connected to a PC.
For Auto Record to function properly you must only have the +5V and ground connected.

I'm in the same boat with AMD. Auto recording does not work, FW 1.20.

I received my Mobius from JooVuu recently, and verified with a PC that it was mostly working. Video looked ok, no glitches. It even seemed to work with the 8" extension cord. Then I configured it for the car, to automatically start recording, and installed it with the hardwire car power source which I also got from JooVuu. Then I tested it, and to my great disappointment, the camera was working like crap.

If I managed to get it recording, it produced glitches in the video stream every ten seconds or so, sometimes more frequent than that, sometimes less frequent. In practice it looks like a purple frame is recorded with a bit of a shift in horizontal position as well. Audio does not have any glitches so I presume this is some sort of a camera signal transmission error, that could be related to the 8" extension maybe picking up some induced interference from the dimming mirror, or possibly radio interference, or possibly just a bad contact somewhere which fails when the car is driven in these bumpy roads of ours. In any case, a big disappointment in terms of the end of the day video quality. Not that I would have expected adding 8" of cable to improve the video quality, but I never anticipated it to produce such jumps as it now does.

The auto-start then, that is a really sad story. Initially I hooked the power source to the car dome light +12v, which turns on when the door locks are opened remotely (irrespective of the dome light switch position, those can be off as well, as the lights are ground-switched). I grounded the hardwire kit to car chassis, and the +12v is relay-switched by the car computers. Which was kind of nice; if it started, it started to record already before I sat into the car. However starting the car produces a bit of a flicker in the dome lights (if they are forced on) and these tiny gaps in the power were enough to make the Mobius shut down after a while. And it just about never turns on automatically after that. I don't know who was the engineering genius behind the FW, but not adding any filtering for the auto-shutdown is rather moronic. A simple double-check for the power with a configurable time delay before the double-check of "is the power really off, still?" would be enough to fix that - a couple of lines of code. But when these things are done cheaply in a hurry.. you get what you pay for, I suppose.

Frustrated with that, I went ahead and did the tedious drill of adding a wire from the fuse box to really get power only when the key is applied to start the car. Being a diesel, my car requires using the glow plugs also, plus mine has an electric steering wheel lock which is better to be waited for finishing its sequence, so starting can only be done "a moment" after giving the Mobius power. Which produces a failed Mobius start situation, pretty much 100% of the time. Adding the wire was just wasted time. This was a bit surprising, as I verified with a T10 5W bulb that while the voltage does drop a bit while starting the engine, the test bulb which I hooked to my hot-wire, does not go overly dim. But I suppose, it still went too low for the Mobius power source, anyway.

And the above scenario, if the Mobius decides to try to auto-start at all, which it usually doesn't. Meaning, if I apply the power only, and just sit there watching the Mobius, without starting the car, the best situation is usually a green light. And that's all. Pushing the power button a couple of times.. sometimes starts the recording. I have that auto-start in the "both" radio-button.

End result: camera which requires to press the power button several times to start recording, and produces glitchy videos. Audio quality seems quite ok though, haha. What a waste of time and money. :(

If I somehow manage to get that thing to actually reliably at least TRY to auto-start, I suppose I will next have to add some sort of a super-capacitor to the *external* power circuit, to overcome that shutdown engineering brainfart in the FW. But as long as the camera isn't reliably even trying to start recording, there's really no point.

............I don't know who was the engineering genius behind the FW, but not adding any filtering for the auto-shutdown is rather moronic. A simple double-check for the power with a configurable time delay before the double-check of "is the power really off, still?" would be enough to fix that - a couple of lines of code. But when these things are done cheaply in a hurry.. you get what you pay for, I suppose...........
I can assure you that the developer has spent many, many hours to try and get the auto-power on to function correctly in all cars. Unfortunately, the firmware is not quite there yet. Most people have absolutely no problems with the auto-start, but the Mobius DOES require a stable 5V as has been stated over and over again. If your car can't supply a constant 5V you stand the risk of damaging your camera. Do you consider more than one year's development "done cheaply in a hurry..."? :eek:

My issues seem to be mostly related to the 8" extension cable. I took it out and tested the camera with a PC, and I got 5/5 success rate for starting the auto-recording.

Apparently, there is some sort of a startup check for the sensor, and if that fails, the auto-record won't work. However successive boot attempts with the power button then finally got past the startup checks and the recording worked out.

Too bad the device doesn't log the startup errors into the sdcard, that would help the users to figure out what is going wrong.

Looks like I now need to redo the installation for the Mobius without the 8" cable and then add some capacitors to the 5V USB power.

For those who see these random auto-record failures, I suggest to check the sdcard and the lens ribbon cable connections (and/or ditch the 8", if you use it). Also ensure uninterrupted power from the initial startup - the current FW can't handle short power outages.

Most people have absolutely no problems with the auto-start, but the Mobius DOES require a stable 5V as has been stated over and over again. If your car can't supply a constant 5V you stand the risk of damaging your camera.

My Mobius has a battery in it, and it should be perfectly capable of providing the necessary voltage to the board with it. As to the charging circuit, if this isn't a cheap design as you seem to imply, it should be designed well enough to withstand voltage spikes and/or drops that a car can have, otherwise the device shouldn't be marketed as a dash cam, should it? And what comes to the I/O pin sniffing for the voltage, low voltages are no issue and high voltage spikes, if any, can be handled to an extent, if the board is properly designed.

.....If I managed to get it recording, it produced glitches in the video stream every ten seconds or so, sometimes more frequent than that, sometimes less frequent. In practice it looks like a purple frame is recorded with a bit of a shift in horizontal position as well. Audio does not have any glitches so I presume this is some sort of a camera signal transmission error, that could be related to the 8" extension maybe picking up some induced interference from the dimming mirror, or possibly radio interference, or possibly just a bad contact somewhere which fails when the car is driven in these bumpy roads of ours. In any case, a big disappointment in terms of the end of the day video quality. Not that I would have expected adding 8" of cable to improve the video quality, but I never anticipated it to produce such jumps as it now does.
Sounds like an extension ribbon issue as also suffered by sofaspud. This is how he fixed it:-
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-8-extension-cable.4938/#post-60923

Last edited:
My Mobius has a battery in it, and it should be perfectly capable of providing the necessary voltage to the board with it. As to the charging circuit, if this isn't a cheap design as you seem to imply, it should be designed well enough to withstand voltage spikes and/or drops that a car can have, otherwise the device shouldn't be marketed as a dash cam, should it? And what comes to the I/O pin sniffing for the voltage, low voltages are no issue and high voltage spikes, if any, can be handled to an extent, if the board is properly designed.
There have been lots of discussions in relation to 'Power On but no Auto Record' issues. There are quite a few suggestions of things to could try in this similar thread:-
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/unreliable-ignition-on-recording.4216/
Many, like myself, don't suffer from the auto record problem you report, but others really do struggle. It does appears to be related to how the various car manufacturers go through their engine start-up sequence in relation to powering the 12V sockets and the voltage draw to start.

The Mobius ActionCam is a very popular little DVR and it has been adapted for a wide range of uses, dash cam use being just one of those. The Firmware is being developed and, hopefully, will overcome the auto-on problem you and others are experiencing for dash cam use.

EDIT - If you are not already using it you could try 'Delay' in the Power On Delay setting... and/or '10 Second' in the Power Off-Disconnected setting.o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Back