Powercell 8 not charging

bod925

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been using the Viofo a129pro + powercell 8 setup successfully for a few months. Have it hardwired into fuse box with add a fuse. (This is maxed out my technical skills ha)

The vehicle was at the dealership for service on an issue with the vehicle lights. When I picked up the vehicle and driving home, I noticed the dash cam was not on. Upon further investigation I don't think the powercell battery is charging. It connects to the app but shows 0% charged even after a 20 minute drive home. The red led does not come on.

I attached a few screenshots of the app.

Link is below to a video using the powercell switch from off to High while vehicle is on. Battery beeps and all three led lights flash for a moment and then no lights at all. The blue light does come on when connected to the app.

Checked fuse and looks fine. Ground is intact. Dealership only worked under the hood, did not mess with interior fuse box area.
I am very puzzled. Is there something wrong with the battery? I am assume since it says 0% charge and no red charging light that is why the dash cam is not coming on.
Dash cam powers up using the 12v socket and cable so it is working.
Unfortunately no longer have the 12v powercell cable to test the battery that way. Didn't think I'd ever need it since it is hardwired. BBMC wants me to test it with the 12v cable and didn't like that I discarded it after hardwire was successfully working. It's been flawless last few months.

Any ideas what may be the issue. Could there have been some type of surge caused my dealership or is it just a coincidence that I noticed it now?

Video link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PnarqRWVniGhK79y8

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130-174720.png
    Screenshot_20240130-174720.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240130-182744.png
    Screenshot_20240130-182744.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
UPDATE: The non-parking mode recording clip on the memory card was at 10:26 AM yesterday while in the dealership shop. The technician turned the truck on at this time with the hood up. The last parking mode clip was at 10:42 AM on both Front and Rear cameras. This is the last time the dash cam recorded something.

Interesting observation, all the other many parking mode recordings for the front /rear cameras are 69,632 KB / 83,968 KB respectively. For this last clip it was only 49,152 KB / 59,392 KB. This tells me the cameras did not record for their full duration and the Powercell must have ran out of battery life and has not recharged since.

1.)
“Never” trust visual inspection of a fuse.
“Always” test suspect fuse with multimeter continuity check.
Check fuse with meter.
Also check hardwire cable ground with multimeter continuity check.

2.)
Did you make your own hardwire charge cable with 12AWG wire?
If so very nice, the included hardwire charge cable is only 16AWG.
The included “too thin” 16AWG wire is my biggest complaint with the PC8.
Since you tossed the included CLA Charge Cable, if you have any more XT60 connectors, and 12AWG wire make another charge cable.
Remove PC8, test on bench with Variable DC Power Supply like this, or similar;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09BFCF13Y
If PC8 still won’t charge, I would now suspect the PC8.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 2 .png
    2 .png
    389.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    251.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hello Chuck,
Thanks for responding.

1) that is a little beyond my skill level. I don't know how to check a fuse with a meter and I don't have that tool. I just know it was working fine the last few months since I installed.

2) the 12 awg input cable you see is a 3 ft extension since the one that came with the powercell was to short. So I am using the 16awg from the fuse box to 3' extension to powercell. BBMC said that would be fine.
No idea how to make my own nor do I have time to rerun wires again lol.

I guess the next most logical test would be 12v socket to powercell to see if it charges that way. But I don't have that cable anymore

Say worst case scenario I need to replace input cable and get rid of 16awg. Can I purchase this 15 footer and cut the one end of for a ground and add a fuse connection? I need at least 13 feet of cable.

Amazon 15 foot cable

I don't know how to check a fuse with a meter
If she can do it, so can you. lol

I don't have that tool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08CX9W7G3
2) the 12 awg input cable you see is a 3 ft extension since the one that came with the powercell was to short. So I am using the 16awg from the fuse box to 3' extension to powercell. BBMC said that would be fine.
Absolutely “not fine”.

I guess the next most logical test would be 12v socket to powercell to see if it charges that way. But I don't have that cable anymore
$30 CLA Charge Cable;

$55 Power Supply Alternative;

Say worst case scenario I need to replace input cable and get rid of 16awg. Can I purchase this 15 footer and cut the one end of for a ground and add a fuse connection? I need at least 13 feet of cable.
Your Amazon link does not work, can you try again?

Attachments

• Amazon Link .png
    Amazon Link .png
    76.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Multimeter  .png
    Multimeter .png
    417 KB · Views: 6

Attachments

• Not 100% OFC .png
    Not 100% OFC .png
    493.3 KB · Views: 2
Do you have an Amazon link to this product?

Or would you be able to make one for me to purchase?

Awesome thanks.
I apologize if this is a dumb question but this is my first time working with any type of wiring electronics stuff...So when I cut to length, how do I get a circle thing on the black wire AND attach the red wire to the add a fuse since it's already crimped to the 16awg wire?

Use a 12AWG add-a-fuse.

Attachments

• 1 .png
    1 .png
    299.7 KB · Views: 5
Additional info on fuse taps provided by @rcg530

How to hardwire battery pack using a relay;

Which of these will work for grounding the black wire?

Southwire 65180440 LUG2-14ADQ2, 2PK Mechanical Lug, Grey https://a.co/d/gp7QD5x

Or this:

AIRIC 12-10AWG Copper Ring Terminals 1/4" Stud (M6), 30pcs UL Heavy Duty Battery Wire Lugs 12-10 Gauge Cable Ends Bare Copper Tubular Lugs Battery Connectors DIN 46235, (TDS6-6) https://a.co/d/7znZ8Gz

@Panzer Platform thanks, I have everything ordered now. Hopefully this will charge the battery once I rerun new wiring . Still not sure why it was charging before just fine.

Found the 12v charger. Plugged it in and battery charges fine.
Must be the 16 to 12 awg wire extension causing the issue? Plan to do the replacement in a few days.

Must be the 16 to 12 awg wire extension causing the issue? Plan to do the replacement in a few days.
1.) Did you check the fuse with a multimeter?
2.) Did you check ground wire, and ground connection with a multimeter?
Why not do that while waiting on parts?

$5 Dolla Make You Holla .png

Well, I checked the USB port that the add a fuse is tapped in and it works.
So I changed the 10amp fuse that is for the powercell and bam! It is charging again. Guess I should have tried that first.
Now I wonder why it blew this fuse and not the other 10amp next to it? Perhaps the wiring issue?

Back