Powerucc Panorama S

Thanks for the link alex, but I'm afraid its not allowing me to view it. It say's (translated) I am not allowed to view content of spoilers.

EDIT: Never mind, I created an account and now I can see photos, thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link alex, but I'm afraid its not allowing me to view it. It say's (translated) I am not allowed to view content of spoilers.

Just to clarify: - need to be registered on car-dvr forum in order to see pictures on "how to". I hope @alexoll can upload same pictures here as well in some stage when he gets a chance.

Need to sign-in.

@alexsoll so after you adjusted the lens like shown in the pictures, thats when you were able to capture license plates so clearly? It appears the magnetic CPL filter will not fit after unscrewing the lens out that far?

Thanks niko - I did create a log on over there and now its working. . . with Alex's permission, I will gladly post photos on this site.

After all the discussion of out of focus video...I had to check my footage.

My issue seems to have gotten worse, or my expectations were higher. (blurry plates, even directly in front of my). I had to fix it. And seeing alexsolls clear vid/pics, it was obvious my camera could do better.

Anyway, I tore into the Pano S.... learning as I went.
I haven't checked alexsolls post on instructions, so, I'll suggest some things to be aware of if taking it apart.

1) when splitting cases...I think it's best to start at the bottom of the unit and work your way up the sides and to the top.
when reinstalling(closing up the case after work is finished) the 2 sides of the case, I think it's better/only possible to start at the bottom and work your way up.

2) there is a plastic "nub" right under the ribbon cable...be very careful(the nub pushes into the cable and can damage it). I used a post it note folded over numerous times(thick) to help avoid the nub damaging the ribbon cable.

3) getting the ribbon cable back in place was tedious with the limited space and delicate nature of the ribbon cable.

I ended up leaving the flashy "metallic" ring off of my unit..... I might keep it this way.

It's too bad that these cameras are not user focusable and not optimized at the factory.
If the metallic ring could be removed from the outside focusing would be a lot easier. (I think this would be an easy fix...instead of the ring being held by the (2) screws from inside the housing, the ring could be held with screws from the outside of the ring- going into the housing)

Need to go test/focus now.......

Glad to see I'm not the only one with blurry plates / footage. I guess I will tear into mine also, I'm not happy with the quality of mine. Like you said, I thought my expectations were too high, but after seeing alex's pictures it is quite possible to get a clear view of plates passing by, I definitely want that.

Can you explain exactly how to 'focus' the lens? Is it threaded? How do you test it? Turn it one thread at a time and check footage on computer? I doubt I would be able to see the difference on the screen of the unit.

I'm curious, you guys that say the camera is out of focus, was it ever? I have a PanoramaII and a Panorama S. My II was in focus until I wiped off the lens then I got the same issues, mainly dead center straight ahead not focused. Later I read somewhere on this forum to not push hard on the lens is you clean it or it will become out of focus.

I ended up buying the Panorama S because I wanted the "flashy "metallic" ring" that I think leftlanehog is referring to so I could put the magnetic CPL filter that is made for the FineVu 500 but works with the Panorama S. I haven't touched the actual lens on the S, just applied the filter over it, and the plates are clear, but you do have to be very close to see them.

Hey WBY3, I just got mine about 2 weeks ago, so I don't really know if it was ever focused properly. I never thought to check until I saw Alex's screen shots of passing cars plates being crystal clear. Mine don't compare. Like you, if I am very close to a car, the plate is legible, more than one car length away and its a blur, and forget about anything in motion, if a car is passing me in the opposite direction, doesn't matter how slow its going you simply can not read the plate. Not like Alex's pictures.

be careful tearing into it(ribbon is in vulnerable location, the "nub")... it is "simple" for me now(not that I want to do it again), but, I was very cautious concerned when pulling things apart.--this is kind of my disclaimer. I probably won't be doing it again...my lens is now focus-able since I left that ring off....I can always glue the ring back on if needed.

focusing the lens- yes, it's threaded. There is some sort of silicone glue used as a "thread locker" but not difficult to remove or "torque thru" with fingers alone.

If you are able to get a good grip on the lens housing(the actual lens housing, NOT the metal decorative large "ring"), you might not have to dig into the camera to focus the lens but you would probably need some fine motor skills and rubber tipped needle nose pliers. Maybe a rubber band and fingers might have enough grip to rotate the lens.--my point, you might be able to focus the lens without taking it apart, provided they didn't use a lot of the silicone glue.
-the lens goes from out of focus, to better, to "perfect", to better, to out of focus within a 1/4 turn(just a guess), so, not much turning is needed-at least on my unit.

Testing it- your assumptions are accurate....
*The pano S screen image quality is not that great in regards to getting the lens focused.
*yup, I took my chromebook with me, I'd record a one minute segment and then check the footage in a parking lot.

I definitely have it better than it was but am going to continue to try to find the best focus...oncoming plates are still blurry(but better), I can now read plates in the lanes next to me....fine tuning continues tho.

the pictures of clear images/videos is what I am aiming for...I'll settle for slightly less tho.

Last edited:
Awesome. . . . great report and info! Do you plan on doing some before and after pics? I never shy away from taking things apart and tinkering, but my cam is soooo new. I've only had it 2? weeks or so. I hate to break it already lol. Maybe I will try to torque thru the silicone. . . ahhhh decisions decisions. It will kill me to leave it alone knowing it can be better. I think I'll start with the rubber band trick. Just so I'm clear, leave the camera completely intact and attempt to rotate the lens housing (not decorative metal part)?

I'll post some raw videos via dropbox after I get the focus where I want. I doubt it'll be as good as alexsolls but, it should show the difference of how it was vs. currently.

Mine is probably 2-3 weeks old..maybe a month old?...yeah, I didn't want to do it and put if off saying it was "good enough" but after checking my footage(and even updating FW) last night, I couldn't take it anymore and just went for it.

Yes, you are clear about that.
There is the black plastic just outside of the glass lens, that is what you'd want to "grab".
On second thought, do not use pliers or anything than can squeeze more force than your fingers....you might crack the glass since the actual lens housing is plastic and could flex/distort/etc.

if it doesn't budge with finger strength, I'd just take it apart. Again, be cautious with the "nub" near the ribbon.lol

The pic below is the "decorative piece", the actual lens housing will be whatever is not seen in this pic.

20140511_140118_zpsfi6e2b0t.jpg
[/IMG]

leftlanehog, that "decorative piece" has a function as I mentioned. It was put on the S model to secure magnetic lens filters to. It is the main reason I bought an S even though I already had the II model, I attached a magnetic CPL filter to the camera via the metal ring.

It's not decorative, it's also not needed if you have no use for it but the manufacturer put it there for a specific purpose according to other threads here.

Last edited:
wby3-"I'm curious, you guys that say the camera is out of focus, was it ever?"

when I received my Pano S, I only compared it to mobius B lens and the Mini 0801....the Pano seemed to be better focused.(in hindsight mobius B might have been better or the same...pano S was still a lot better at night tho,which was my main objective getting the Pano S).

after seeing alexsolls footage, yes, I'd say my cam was out of focus or at least could be better. it was good enough, but, knowing it could be better is tempting.

Hey WBY3, I just got mine about 2 weeks ago, so I don't really know if it was ever focused properly. I never thought to check until I saw Alex's screen shots of passing cars plates being crystal clear. Mine don't compare. Like you, if I am very close to a car, the plate is legible, more than one car length away and its a blur, and forget about anything in motion, if a car is passing me in the opposite direction, doesn't matter how slow its going you simply can not read the plate. Not like Alex's pictures.

Wow, I popped the card out and watched the videos everyday for about a week just to see how good it was performing under different lighting and weather conditions. Now it's pretty much just part of the car and unless I see something I want to take another look at I let it loop.

ok, not decorative if the user plans on using the filter...i take my description of the ring back.

it's not needed for my application since I don't intend on using the filter. (cost+I don't want to be taking it off at night/forgetting to take it off etc)

wby3-"I'm curious, you guys that say the camera is out of focus, was it ever?"

when I received my Pano S, I only compared it to mobius B lens and the Mini 0801....the Pano seemed to be better focused.(in hindsight mobius B might have been better or the same...pano S was still a lot better at night tho,which was my main objective getting the Pano S).

after seeing alexsolls footage, yes, I'd say my cam was out of focus or at least could be better. it was good enough, but, knowing it could be better is tempting.

My main reason for the cam I chose too, I do a lot of night driving and didn't see much that was affordable that was any good with low to no light.

ok, not decorative if the user plans on using the filter...i take my description of the ring back.

it's not needed for my application since I don't intend on using the filter. (cost+I don't want to be taking it off at night/forgetting to take it off etc)

I found one for $25, (including shipping) it's magnetic, extremely easy to put on and take off (in mere seconds) even with the cam mounted to the windshield.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JFUU9E8

Got it!!!! I was able to turn it with the rubberband wrapped precision needle nose lol - thankfully didn't crack anything. I wasn't aware how sensitive it was - it did 3 full turns to start out and wow it was completely blurry - I thought I did break it! I am sitting in a parking lot now turning it ever so slightly - got my laptop in the car and I keep popping the card in and out. Getting close I think!! PS - am I the only one who's time keeps getting pushed back an hour???

glad you were able to get the lens loose without taking it apart...
I figured that would be the best/easiest way(turning lens externally) but was not sure how strong the "glue" was...after I saw the "glue" used, I thought 'wow, I could of broken it free without going thru all this'.(and the reason I mentioned it)

I had mine pretty much as good as it was going to get without a better quality monitor hooked up in real time...went for further perfection and now it's too dark to play with. Still a little better than how it came.

I'll probably get some a/v out cables(2.5mm by the way, all i have is 3.5mm) and hook up my TV monitor for the "final focus".

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with the monitor. I must have pulled my card 30 times lol. After a while I was forgetting which direction I was turning lens. Kept getting all messed up. I think I may do a tiny bit more fine tuning tomorrow, but I am definitely as close as I'm going to get. Its not a huge difference, after tinkering, I realize it was pretty good from the start. I'm not so convinced this is going to help with plates as they're passing. I dunno, I may be wrong.

Back