Powerucc Panorama S

Well, my CPL for the finevue finally arrived. It works great on the pano. Fits just fine, does great on glare. BUT, does nothing for the clarity of passing license plates. I still don't know why @alexsoll has such a clear picture. Mine is no where near that. Licence plates are still blurry, even going 10 miles an hour. Kinda disappointed...

Good news, a new beta firmware is in the works that improves night license plate capture/reading. A new sensor/software trick is working well. I've seen some test samples and so far so good. I think everyone will be pleased. License plate night enhancement and MPH are the last two fixes for this R&D cycle.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcl68lyofet5gqy/20140518_122_f200_2.MP4
Be sure to download the original, the dropbox streaming version will look bad.
(no ETA) It's really pushing new boundaries on the imx122

EDIT: mega download is better for some
https://mega.co.nz/#!qQIi0RTY!prqs4Ombf-Mh0WDx-EN0_6bJHQFxKPD6X24gDJRD5jM

Hey WBY3, I just got mine about 2 weeks ago, so I don't really know if it was ever focused properly. I never thought to check until I saw Alex's screen shots of passing cars plates being crystal clear. Mine don't compare. Like you, if I am very close to a car, the plate is legible, more than one car length away and its a blur, and forget about anything in motion, if a car is passing me in the opposite direction, doesn't matter how slow its going you simply can not read the plate. Not like Alex's pictures.

Maybe it's because at 30 Frames per Second, one Frame was in the right place at the right time. Looking at other cars in the same video, I couldn't replicate the clearest one.

david

Maybe it's because at 30 Frames per Second, one Frame was in the right place at the right time. Looking at other cars in the same video, I couldn't replicate the clearest one.

david

Reading numberplates more clearly depends on many external factors. Some time I also get at day tine as good result even on high speed as @alexoll, some time not.
I believe we will be able to see more clear constant numberplates reading only by the end of this year when dashcam technology 1080/60 will be fully polished and working correctly. Even now A7 1080/60 not working correctly as it should work. Til then 1080/30 does same job as 1080/60 from reading numberplates point of view. So we have a choice to keep using and / or buying existing 1080/30 or wait another half year. But in any case its better to have 1080/30 than dont have anything.

Thanks for the replies, I'm REALLY looking forward to 1080/60, not to mention the new sensor and the MPH option as @JazJon mentioned! @spotnz you're probably right. Hopefully 60fps will help that. I think it may also be that NJ plates are much smaller, and harder to read maybe??

Thanks for the replies, I'm REALLY looking forward to 1080/60, not to mention the new sensor and the MPH option as @JazJon mentioned! @spotnz you're probably right. Hopefully 60fps will help that. I think it may also be that NJ plates are much smaller, and harder to read maybe??

1080 / 60 with its whole potential would be probably available not sooner than in half year. This technology is still fairly new and need a lot of development.

Being in NZ I don't know about NJ plates.

What I did discover this afternoon is. Around midday I was stopped at traffic lights.with the sun more or less directly behind me & the vehicle in front. When I checked the video at home, I discovered this
upload_2014-5-22_19-33-12.png

I'm not sure what position the CPL was in, As I was fiddling with it beforehand, to see if I could find a better all round position.

What I am increasingly noticing is that as winter approaches with the sun creeping lower. I am noticing more reflections off the dashboard, on & off the dashcam. Even though the solstice is only a month away, when things should return to normal. With me being me, I'd rather not have to put up with any reflections whatsoever

I've since checked the angle of the dashcam. It was about horizontal. So based on recommendations elsewhere in this forum, I've angled it a little downwards, so that the sky takes up a lesser portion of the image. In the hope that will also help.

david

Being in NZ I don't know about NJ plates.

What I did discover this afternoon is. Around midday I was stopped at traffic lights.with the sun more or less directly behind me & the vehicle in front. When I checked the video at home, I discovered this
View attachment 5176

I'm not sure what position the CPL was in, As I was fiddling with it beforehand, to see if I could find a better all round position.

What I am increasingly noticing is that as winter approaches with the sun creeping lower. I am noticing more reflections off the dashboard, on & off the dashcam. Even though the solstice is only a month away, when things should return to normal. With me being me, I'd rather not have to put up with any reflections whatsoever

I've since checked the angle of the dashcam. It was about horizontal. So based on recommendations elsewhere in this forum, I've angled it a little downwards, so that the sky takes up a lesser portion of the image. In the hope that will also help.

david

Can you share full size screenshot.

carreflection.png

is this what you need?

carreflection.png

is this what you need?

I meant non-cropped if you have it. Or even better would be to see whole video clip from that scene.

I angled mine down last week to get less sky and more ground and it did help a bit with the washout effect.

Niko,

sorry, I haven't found a decent downloadable site. Mega is to unreliable for me to want to use it.

david

this afternoon I found that Datakam Player was sharper than Quicktime. It was easier to read number plates, without zooming in on them. It also looks like VLC is of similar quality to Datakam.

david

Niko,

sorry, I haven't found a decent downloadable site. Mega is to unreliable for me to want to use it.

david

Wowww, thats too much "white-stuff" there. Too much brightness or AWB does not. Was it always like this at the same time of the day at same road ?

Last edited:
Wowww, thats too much "****e-stuff" there. Too much brightness or AWB does not. Was it always like this at the same time of the day at same road ?
I don't know, it's been cloudy a lot recently. So earlier today I created 2 new raw videos
First without CPL http://www.mediafire.com/watch/fx0c4fd5745dddn/12.06_18_FW_no_cpl_.mp4
then with CPL http://www.mediafire.com/watch/9fccadigjj27wn2/12.06_18_FW_with_cpl_.mp4
Both look BRIGHT. I'm using FW 12.06 18 speed. Could it be something to do with the amount of UV light NZ gets?

david

Back