Problems viewing dashcam files

gerardthebutler

Reaction score
I recently purchased a DVR207GS. Very happy with it except when it comes to viewing what I've recorded.
The files are in H.264 avi format.
I have Win XP on my desktop.
RealPlayer and Win Media Player wont play the files at all. VLC (my fav viewer) shows them as freeze frame, wait four seconds, freeze frame, etc.
I downloaded an H.264 driver for DivX and that works but I'm not a big fan.

What do other users use to view their files ? Should I be converting to another format ?

I am recording files in 5 minute sections. My internet connection is ADSL (up to 8 Mbps) but my first upload to Youtube took 45 minutes. Is this normal or, again, should I be converting the files to another format before uploading ? What do other users use ?

Grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Lately I've used MPC-HC more than VLC, it seems to be using GPU acceleration better.
As for your Youtube upload speed, you've only mentioned your ADSL downlink speed, not upload.
You can either make the camera split files in shorter amounts of time or use some editing program. For simple stuff, I've used Windows Live Movie Maker, but I don't think that's going to help you, considering that You're still on Windows XP.

I had problems with the AVI files viewing and trimming, after a bit of trial and error I found AVI Trimmer did the trick. Might be worth a try as it's free :)

Wondershare Video converter will combine and convert almost any type of video file to what you want.

I have combined 130 clips off my video camera into one movie of nearly 3 hours.

Back