Pros and Cons: A119S v2 VS A119 v2

Reactions: gse
as I said previously I don't know what the exact situation is with this model with Viofo, I am going to Hong Kong tomorrow and will see the owner of Viofo at some time over the following days as we will both be at the same trade show, I will ask him what he knows about this and what they can do to help you get it fixed
You must get very tired by the end of the day :(

when you want to call someones attention to a forum post you need to put the @ symbol before their user name, like this @gse

then they will receive a notification

Can't get used to this forum, where should press ?

if you use the @ symbol and start typing the users name a box will popup to show a list of users that match, select from the list and they will receive a notification of the post

like this @gse

@jokiin
I am going to Hong Kong tomorrow and will see the owner of Viofo at some time over the following days as we will both be at the same trade show, I will ask him what he knows about this and what they can do to help you get it fixed
Dear Jokiin, correct me if I am wrong, bit October the 9th you promised to find out "by the end of the week", what the Viofo owner thinks about the Viofo A119S s****y plastic holders, which drive the community crazy due to their focus drift/shift/float/whatever. Now it is October the 27th, and there is still no message from you been made available to the community. Would you please share your findings with us, before you forget, and before we start discussing how reliable your words are? You, the "well-known member" with 36195 messages recorded? Thanks in advance!

Does this focus drift concerns all dashcams or only a119s?

I've done some tests, thanks @gse, and I'll continue to do some more in order to be sure 100% but first result confirms what you're saying.
the operating temperature of the @viofo a119s influences the focus?!

when the dashcam is cold, at least in my case, the focus is clear for objects at bigger distance, after 1h of operating and the dashcam becomes hot, the objects near the lens becomes clear and well focused and distant objects become blurry (of course compared to what have been focused clearly when the lens was cold). now I am understanding better why I am disappointing by Viofo a119s. it works good only for first 5 min...

good to know as if tests confirms this floating of the focus my a119s goes back to amazon and 1* to Viofo.

cheers

@jokiin

Dear Jokiin, correct me if I am wrong, bit October the 9th you promised to find out "by the end of the week", what the Viofo owner thinks about the Viofo A119S s****y plastic holders, which drive the community crazy due to their focus drift/shift/float/whatever. Now it is October the 27th, and there is still no message from you been made available to the community. Would you please share your findings with us, before you forget, and before we start discussing how reliable your words are? You, the "well-known member" with 36195 messages recorded? Thanks in advance!

yes I spoke to them, they are working on a fix but it's not ready yet, I'm sure they will provide an update once they have it sorted

I met with VIOFO in Hong Kong last week as well. Improvements are in development for sure. (Continuous and ongoing efforts into 2018)

@jokiin, you think that there will be new hardware modification: new lens/holder/sensor kit?

or do you think that something can be possible to fix with the FW ... but how to prevent the dashcam from heating?

so probably and as usual there will be V3 for new customers, forgetting the v2 ones...as all V2 are concerned if the problem is in the holder , due to the wrong conception or material choice done by the R&D.
Sometimes the Supply chain or Purchasing are messing up even if the job from the R&D is done well. Nothing to say about the QC as it's clear that nothing is done...probably was to late as QC can not stop ALL batches to go out.
So they have preferred to sell all production in 2017 and probably the fix is already done and planned for 2018.

If some of us really insist @viofo will do the effort to replace the V2 by V3 units under the warranty to some of "lucky" customers...turning the page...and in 2018 V3 will be commercialized.

Important: When you cool down the a119s, the distant objects becomes focused and close object loose the focus...so vice and versa and up to the operating temperature of the lens/holder/sensor.

To be pragmatic there is the "solution", ironic, if we have the problem in the traffic, we can ask people to wait our a119s cooling down in order to be able to get the correct footage ;-)

after 15min it becomes "cold", it will be working fine for 5min...means the FW can fix it...the cycle of 5min on / 15min off of the footage to cool down... 5/15, 5/15 ha ha ha OR 5fps all the time in order to prevent unit heating more then 5°C...

cheers

PS: btw, when the R&D and Supply Chain mess it up, it's simply the disaster...if the company is strong in term of customer support and service something can be worked out...accepting the huge cost, the management team can do it...and it will be easy to see what is the company strategy, should be some, to be on the market for couple of months or be the brand and stay for years...

@jokiin, please, do you have some simple recommendation how to do some focus tests, something like DIY way without special tools, in order to see how much the dashcam is affected?

BTW the retailer at A market place is sending me the second a119s FOC, and I would like to be honest doing more tests as good and reliable as possible by myself.
If I tell them that both units are affected he will not believe me...or maybe they already know hmmm.

so I have the doubt to keep both a119s "for the price of one", and accept this floating on one or even both if the fix is possible to apply on actual version V2.
Even if the footage seems to me unacceptable now, as the main function is not there anymore.

Either I can send both back units even if I'm really sorry for the seller, they have really supporting, at least commercially in a professional way...or, accept Viofo sending us the fix/upgrade kit, if available one day

...but also does @viofo will do this upgarde FOC one day? I can wait for couple of weeks/months if sure. I'll ask them

They are working on sorting it out now, I'm sure once they have it sorted they'll look after anyone that has a problem unit, can take a bit of time though

They are working on sorting it out now, I'm sure once they have it sorted they'll look after anyone that has a problem unit, can take a bit of time though
Thank you for the good news! Please keep us posted on any updates with that! Like I said: I even do not expect to get the fix for free: I would agree to buy 2 proper lens holders for money, and install them myself.

Last edited:
if I hear something I can reply but not something I can promise to keep you updated on, I don't see them regularly to get updates, I was in Hong Kong at the same time so it was convenient at this time for me to ask what was happening, I'm sure when they have update news it will be known and anyone that still has problems will be able to get help to get things sorted, whether that be spare parts, or replacement, or whatever is needed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N A119S 3
vampyrex13 A119S 7
Back