Pros and Cons: A119S v2 VS A119 v2

Many do not go to the forum and do not know anything about it, they use what they have. And the metal was standing at the first, he already spoke about this a hundred times.

it added a lot of delay as the holder had to be custom made, there was no available model to suit our specific lens

Well, exactly, that was Viofos choice, I guess - to start earning money sooner at the cost of screwing users (letting users have a product with obvious, severe and non-fixable technical flaws). As a customer and camera user I am very unhappy with this choice. I would have rather waited longer for the sake of getting a cam I would be happy with, than spend the same amount of money for smth I now have to think about replacing. Alternatively, I am ready to invest into buying 2 improved holders, should Viofo start offering such - be it low-temp-expansion ratio metal or really suitable plastic - does not matter - but now, having got acquainted with Viofos way of thinking, I doubt that they ever would be willing to offer a solution.

Guess if I ever will be buying a Viofo product again – or if I ever will be recommending such ? (rhetorical question)

Last edited:
Reactions: gse
but now, having got acquainted with Viofos way of thinking, I doubt that they ever would be willing to offer a solution.

there are lots of examples on the forum here where they have worked with the customers to resolve any issues, maybe they just don't have a solution for you right now and maybe it won't happen as quickly as you need but I would be surprised if they don't help you out once they have a solution for you, they have done similar for other customers, I don't see why you should be treated any different, normal process is talk to the seller you bought it from but if you don't get help there then for sure you should contact Viofo directly for help

they seem to have a recent batch where there have been some problems reported

Oh no, dont talk about batches. Mine both cams are by no means from any of the recent ones. I bought them late spring or early summer 2017. However, your input, that the recent batches are also flawed, is indeed invaluable for users, who will be reading this forum, wondering, whether Viofo ever manages to cope with their quality issues.

normal process is talk to the seller you bought it from but if you don't get help there then for sure you should contact Viofo directly for help
I am not a kid, and I know how things work.
I did talk to seller first. Seller said, the problem was unfixable, and offered complete moneyback. That I did not want to do, since postage costs for the retour would in my case be too high.
NB Seller did not even try offering replacement, since the replacement units would have had same issues.
Then I talked to manufacturer. Their tech support replied, their perfect plastic holders did not have this problem at all. Period.
So keep telling me more tales about their readyness to deal with problems and gain satisfied customers.

Oh no, dont talk about batches. Mine both cams are by no means from any of the recent ones. I bought them late spring or early summer 2017. However, your input, that the recent batches are also flawed, is indeed invaluable for users, who will be reading this forum, wondering, whether Viofo ever manages to cope with their quality issues.

please don't misunderstand my meaning, there have been some recent reports of problems, the cameras had no such reports for quite some time, when the problem cameras were produced/distributed/purchased I have no idea, I have no insight if they have this problem in any recent production either, that is something you would need to talk with Viofo about, if they have found some problem and already worked it out then good they can send you whatever you need to fix yours or arrange to replace it with your reseller or whatever

Then I takled to manufacturer. Their tech support replied, their perfect plastic holders did not have this problem at all. Period.
So keep telling me more tales about their readyness to deal with problems and gain satisfied customers.

I don't know who you talked to, if you haven't talked to the right person maybe you are getting the run around, did you message Viofo through the forum here at all?

if you haven't talked to the right person maybe you are getting the run around

I do not intend playing an investigator. If the default Viofo tech support is not the right person to talk to, and if their default behavior is giving customers the run around - so be it. Neither it is my intent to make forum readers bored with descriptions of my communications with Viofo. For me, the Viofo page has been turned over. I’ve had enough. There is only one thing I am still wondering about - whether a good aftermarket lens holder will ever become available. That is the only reason why I am still monitoring this forum, occasionally also replying to posts explaining to unexperienced users how good Viofo is.

I do not intend playing an investigator. If the default Viofo tech support is not the right person to talk to, and if their default behavior is giving customers the run around - so be it. Neither it is my intent to make forum readers bored with descriptions of my communications with Viofo. For me, the Viofo page has been turned over. I’ve had enough. There is only one thing I am still wondering about - whether a good aftermarket lens holder will ever become available. That is the only reason why I am still monitoring this forum, occasionally also replying to posts explaining to unexperienced users how good Viofo is.

sounds like you don't want help now, I give up :confused:

I expect the forthcoming HDR on the A119 will sway some people towards the A119 from the A119S. I know I'm considering adding an A119 to my camera collection.

This saying is either totally not applicable to the A119S, OR the plastic used in real life for A119S lens holders is not the FRP you are talking about :-(

Dude........... Quit splitting hairs for perfection on a dashcam

I expect the forthcoming HDR on the A119 will sway some people towards the A119 from the A119S. I know I'm considering adding an A119 to my camera collection.
Hopefully, after they have got decent HDR working on the A119 sensor, they will then start on the A119S sensor. The A119S sensor is the better sensor for use in low light. I think it also has a more advanced Sony HDR function, maybe they did the simpler sensor first...

maybe they did the simpler sensor first...

would come down to what Novatek has made available in the SDK, I suspect there's a lot more of the OV4689 out there than there is the IMX291 due to the price difference so they'd be trying to cover more of the market as a first priority

мы много говорим с вами, но нет ни слова из Viofo по этому вопросу, они молчат, как рыба, хотя они отвечают в других ветвях. Viofo поддержал меня,it is perfectly поэтому проблема им понятна.

sounds like you don't want help now, I give up :confused:
Dear Jokiin, it is not that I reject your kind help. I do not. It is that I do not think you can give me the help that I need, since the only help I need is a source for obtaining better lens holders for my A119S, and I doubt that you can manufacture such for me, or that you can influence Viofo accordingly.
Quit splitting hairs for perfection on a dashcam
Dear Hombre, unfortunately in the A119S case it is not about "splitting hairs". In the A119S case, wrong lens holder is a severe problem, significantly affecting image quality. I bet you saw the samples "hot image vs cold image" - I provided the link several posts above.

Dear Jokiin, it is not that I reject your kind help. I do not. It is that I do not think you can give me the help that I need, since the only help I need is a source for obtaining better lens holders for my A119S, and I doubt that you can manufacture such for me, or that you can influence Viofo accordingly.

as I said previously I don't know what the exact situation is with this model with Viofo, I am going to Hong Kong tomorrow and will see the owner of Viofo at some time over the following days as we will both be at the same trade show, I will ask him what he knows about this and what they can do to help you get it fixed

jokiin
Six months I say about it, and all the posts you saw where Viofo was six months ?

I ... will see the owner of Viofo, I will ask him what he knows about this and what they can do to help you get it fixed
I am grateful to you in advance for your kind attempt to help, no matter what the results will be. Hope you will help the owner understand, that the reputational damage done to his fine company by selling immature products is more significant, than the savings from non-ordering a specialized holder for a cam which really needs it. And that existing A119S users would be happy to obtain (purchase! with profit for Viofo!) a lens holder upgrade kit. Since it is not about just helping my own self - it is a general problem every A119S owner would benefit from getting resolved, and so will the Viofo reputation. If this works, for me it will be like a miracle, and you would be the one who made it happen. Good luck, man!

I am grateful to you in advance for your kind attempt to help, no matter what the results will be. Hope you will help the owner understand, that the reputational damage done to his fine company by selling immature products is more significant, than the savings from non-ordering a specialized holder for a cam which really needs it. And that existing A119S users would be happy to obtain a lens holder upgrade kit. Since it is not about just helping my own self - it is a general problem every A119S owner would benefit from getting resolved, and so will the Viofo reputation. If this works, for me it will be like a miracle, and you would be the one who made it happen. Good luck, man!

I will find out what the situation is and update you after I talk with them about it, I'm not sure what day I will see them but I do see them at every show so I'm sure by the end of this week I will have had a chance to find out what is happening

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N A119S 3
vampyrex13 A119S 7
Back