"Real World" Questions on the DC

I'm finding only the MAC version of Dashcam viewer to support the dual cam playback within the program.
I can assure you that version 3.0.x (currently running 3.1.0) and up support dual cam on Windows. Screen shots can be provided if you like. (y)

OK, it was a self-inflicted problem - as I suspected my doing the short power on/off cycles did cause the problem. After formatting the card 'in camera' all is well. Four separate trips without incident.

Sorry for the false alarm.

not a problem, I've asked the engineers to look into it anyway

not a problem, I've asked the engineers to look into it anyway
Here's a bit of data for the engineers. I inadvertently created the same situation again. In the attached screenshot you can see a short file on 8/11 where I just started the car to move it a few feet and shut it off right away (red arrow) (also a few other times but they don't show here). Every trip after that point the date/time used for the file ID was reset to default until a GPS lock reset it the to correct value (blue arrow).

DC_DateTime_Reset.jpg

Here's a bit of data for the engineers. I inadvertently created the same situation again. In the attached screenshot you can see a short file on 8/11 where I just started the car to move it a few feet and shut it off right away (red arrow) (also a few other times but they don't show here). Every trip after that point the date/time used for the file ID was reset to default until a GPS lock reset it the to correct value (blue arrow).
I will ask @Street Guardian USA to replace that one so we can get it back for testing in case there's something else going on

It just occurred to me that the new vehicle has idle stop/start which may be a factor here. Also, I'm using a USB power cable versus the supplied 12V adapter. I'll have to play with this a bit to eliminate these outside factors.

Another question regarding the naming of files: Once the file counter reaches some (random?) value greater than 100 it does a partial reset. In the example below it jumped from 108 to 009. Between those two sequences the car was parked for a few minutes and I guess the camera was switched off. I have never lost sequences while driving, so it does not seem to be a real issue. I'm just feeling curious :)

Btw, the camera reset itself once... I updated the FW to 1.32 and it hasn't happened again since.

Screenshot at Aug 18 20-36-05.png

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that the new vehicle has idle stop/start which may be a factor here. Also, I'm using a USB power cable versus the supplied 12V adapter. I'll have to play with this a bit to eliminate these outside factors.

OK, after playing with this issue extensively for 2 days now I've come to the conclusion that it's directly related to using the vehicles built in USB charging port(s) (rated at 2.1A). Using the supplied 12V power adapter I have no problems, if I use a 12V-5V adapter I have no problems so I can only conclude there is enough instability with the built in USB power to cause an issue with the 'DC'.

I've checked this out with 2 different vehicles, a Toyota Highlander and Acura RDX, and the symptoms were consistent. Using the built in USB ports cause the issue but using any other power source the 'DC' functioned as one would expect.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those details. (Learning experience for others)

We always advice people avoid using built in car or computer USB ports to power dashcam products. Those ports are usually slightly under powered and can stress the CPU.

OK, after playing with this issue extensively for 2 days now I've come to the conclusion that it's directly related to using the vehicles build in USB charging port(s) (rated at 2.1A). Using the supplied 12V power adapter I have no problems, if I use a 12V-5V adapter I have no problems so I can only conclude there is enough instability with the built in USB power to cause an issue with the 'DC'.

I've checked this out with 2 different vehicles, a Toyota Highlander and Acura RDX, and the symptoms were consistent. Using the built in USB ports cause the issue but using any other power source the 'DC' functioned as one would expect.

keep an eye on things regardless, if it has done any damage let us know so we can sort it out

keep an eye on things regardless, if it has done any damage let us know so we can sort it out
Only have about 30 minutes of actual 'drive time' since I quit playing but all seems to be working OK at this point. Haven't checked the most recent recordings though.

Back