"Real World" Questions on the DC

we use the same GPS as the other models, may just be some fault with his particular GPS if it's taking a long time to lock, could have a faulty RTC battery on the GPS module perhaps which would cause it to look for Ephemeris data every time it started, just a guess though

That would make sense, I've had at least 1 other customer in the past year that replacing the GPS fixed this very scenario.

So while rare, it's on the list of potential possibilities.

O yeah :rolleyes: i dident consider that the GPS have a battery too, that might well cause a lengthening of the fix time as it will have to start from rock bottom every time.

could be something else, antenna out of spec etc, hard to say, not the kind of thing you can delve into too deeply, if it doesn't work as expected just replace it

Camera is behind the rearview mirror and gps is in far right corner. Middle camera is gone.
And that sucks about the editing. Whats the video editor that always gets mentioned here? Does it crop?
3d5f08f932f292acb4eef207241b9cc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Hey,

Send me an email, and we will get you a replacement GPS sent out ASAP.

Camera is behind the rearview mirror and gps is in far right corner. Middle camera is gone.
And that sucks about the editing. Whats the video editor that always gets mentioned here? Does it crop?
3d5f08f932f292acb4eef207241b9cc2.jpg

Hey,

Send me an email, and we will get you a replacement GPS sent out ASAP.
Ok, i will, thanks.

I actually have the same problem with the GPS taking a while to lock, more so when the car has been sitting for a while. Is that battery replaceable without breaking glue joints? I'd rather try that than return it if it's possible.

Richard

On a drive a few days ago i accidentally looked up at the screen before it go off ( 3 minute ) and saw the GPS icon there go from green to red.
I have not noticed this before but it are also rare i look at the screen that shortly after setting off, or at recorded footage from the same period of a session.
Will have to retrieve the memory card on my drive later to see how long that lasted, maybe look at other sessions too.
It is actually the V1 GPS antenna i use on the V3 GC camera.

I do however thing it was just a matter of early cold boot and me being stopped on the north side of a building.

On a drive a few days ago i accidentally looked up at the screen before it go off ( 3 minute ) and saw the GPS icon there go from green to red.
It is actually the V1 GPS antenna i use on the V3 GC camera.
I've noticed that on my early GC cameras on occasion as well. I seem to recall Ric having an explanation but forgot what it was.

I think its just a short glitch, have been sitting at home all day waiting for a txt from DHL to go get the DC camera, but so far no text from them though TRK # do say out for delivery since 8 this morning.

Will go get the GC memory card soon and see how long this glitch lasted.

I've noticed that on my early GC cameras on occasion as well. I seem to recall Ric having an explanation but forgot what it was.

Here is how GPS works in dashcam products. (different than Smartphone GPS)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ormance-for-data-logging-in-car-cameras.3566/

Some car environments and other environment variables can attenuate/block GPS signal more than others. (or even Satellite position)

I found the following GPS signal repeater to be excellent, I have GPS lock in seconds now when I test stuff in my office. (can be installed into vehicles as well comes with multiple power supplies)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...er-instant-strong-gps-signal-fast-lock.32544/

Having said that, if someone thinks they still have some type of GPS performance problem (USA customer) I'm happy to work with them to get things going. (even if it means sending out another GPS antenna) It's rare but I have sent out at least a couple GPS replacement cables over the past few years.

Just checked the GPS drop out i mentioned above on my GC V3, it was short and as soon as i came out from behind that building the fix come right back after a couple of seconds.
Its first clip / cold boot and the GPS are on after 40 seconds after engine start, so really not a issue just every day hokus pokus from a GPS devise.
Probably happned more times where i did not catch it.

I just had my DC out of the vehicle for about 96 hours (got a new ride and took that long to move it over). During that period the date/time reverted to the default of 010118 before it got a GPS lock and set it correctly. All this is not a problem and I understand what happened and why - but it did raise a question in my mind.

How long can one expect the RTC battery to hold the settings? Four days seems a bit short but if that's normal it is what it is.

I just had my DC out of the vehicle for about 96 hours (got a new ride and took that long to move it over). During that period the date/time reverted to the default of 010118 before it got a GPS lock and set it correctly. All this is not a problem and I understand what happened and why - but it did raise a question in my mind.

How long can one expect the RTC battery to hold the settings? Four days seems a bit short but if that's normal it is what it is.

that's not normal but I need to check in case that's a firmware bug, if it turns out to be anything else we'll arrange to replace it

that's not normal but I need to check in case that's a firmware bug, if it turns out to be anything else we'll arrange to replace it
The same thing has happened twice more since my previous post - two separate trips and in both instances the date/time were reset to default until a GPS fix was obtained. I doubt it's F/W as I've been running the same version (1.32) for some time before moving the camera with no issues at all.

It occurred to me that in the process of moving the camera I did a number of short power on/power off cycles to insure my hookups were working. It would not surprise me if, in the process, I somehow 'corrupted' something by not allowing a start up cycle to complete before pulling power. I had something similar happen a few years ago with a different camera.

I just formatted the card in camera and will play a bit tomorrow to see how things go. If I still have issues I'll do a hard reset on the camera and try again. Will let you know the results.

It's Sunday over there so quit working and take the day off. (y)

I think Jokiin have thrown himself and everyone else he can get a hold on at the HW conundrum.

I just had my DC out of the vehicle for about 96 hours (got a new ride and took that long to move it over). During that period the date/time reverted to the default of 010118 before it got a GPS lock and set it correctly...
The same thing has happened twice more since my previous post - two separate trips and in both instances the date/time were reset to default until a GPS fix was obtained...

It occurred to me that in the process of moving the camera I did a number of short power on/power off cycles to insure my hookups were working. It would not surprise me if, in the process, I somehow 'corrupted' something by not allowing a start up cycle to complete before pulling power. I had something similar happen a few years ago with a different camera.

I just formatted the card in camera and will play a bit tomorrow to see how things go...
ok please keep me updated

no time for rest, too much to do right now
OK, it was a self-inflicted problem - as I suspected my doing the short power on/off cycles did cause the problem. After formatting the card 'in camera' all is well. Four separate trips without incident.

Sorry for the false alarm.

I'm finding only the MAC version of Dashcam viewer to support the dual cam playback within the program.

Back