Rear camera wiring killing DAB reception - help!

CamV6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

So I had a 522GW with rear screen mounted camera hard wired today In my Skoda Kodiaq

The fitter warned me that the wiring for the rear camera might interfere with the DAB signal boosters in the top of the rear tailgate. Sure enough it does. Bummer.

Can anyone please suggest a fix to stop this happening? I have considered swapping out to add on rear view camera but its less of a helpful view plus the rear head rest gets in the way

Hi all

So I had a 522GW with rear screen mounted camera hard wired today In my Skoda Kodiaq

The fitter warned me that the wiring for the rear camera might interfere with the DAB signal boosters in the top of the rear tailgate. Sure enough it does. Bummer.

Can anyone please suggest a fix to stop this happening? I have considered swapping out to add on rear view camera but its less of a helpful view plus the rear head rest gets in the way
You have android auto or apple CarPlay support in your car, wired or wireless? That would be the easiest way to get around it then get the app for the radio stations that you listen to. Saves you faffing about ...

Wired apple car play. I must confess I’d not thought of that but would t that use a lot of mobile data ?

Wired apple car play. I must confess I’d not thought of that but would t that use a lot of mobile data ?
Wouldn't imagine so, you could always check within the settings of the app you're using and there should be options to use less data (i.e. better or worse audio quality). How much allowance in gigabytes a month do you have for your mobile data?

I'd say 10 gigabytes is more than enough for just audio streaming in a car

i have wireless apple car play and data usage is never a concern, my monthly plan is 20gb i rarely use 6gb per month and that is everyday usage

i have wireless apple car play and data usage is never a concern, my monthly plan is 20gb i rarely use 6gb per month and that is everyday usage
This guy.

That's what I thought it was, had a feeling it wasn't heaps and heaps....

As good a solution as that is, it’s of limited use as I have two phones with me during the working week that I need to have available via the car and linking to car play would disconnect the other phone

Would fitting a "choke"* onto the rear camera work??

* I THINK that's what they're called

Some brands have provided ferrite chokes for cables in their systems, so it might help.

Problems with DAB and SAT radio and rear dashcams are nothing new sadly, i am not aware of any dashcam brand that is less / more prone to this problem.
It is also why when people install a new system i recommend to loosely drape the rear camera wire along the planned route first, and then see how that is with the radio VS having the wore in the other side of the car.

There also once was a NZ guy that had GPS issues with the NAV build into his Nissan car, i assume that was the front camera.

You could swap out the rear camera and wired connection to the front and install the 322 alone. Hard wire it it, should stop the interference and you still have front and rear coverage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 522GW 1
T 522GW 7
U 522GW 1
A 522GW 7
B 522GW 2
Back