Recommendations for a first new Dashcam

...the more sharpening that is introduced the worse it looks
Anyone that's done any semi-serious photography will agree with that.

Thank You everyone! i think that i will go with the A119 after all
Thanks for your time guys!

BTW
Is there a big difference between the A119 and the A119S?

A119S better low light performance

A119 can do higher resolution so can offer a sharper picture during the day

The A119 has been very good for me

There are forums here for both cams. I'd suggest that you browse those to see what their owners have experienced. Personally I'd choose the A119S for a wedge-shaped cam at that price level. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller and get the newest version.

As to plates, no cam can assure this even within any one frame. It is just inherent in any cam which must cope with a wide range of conditions at a price less than several thousand dollars and even then you'll still miss some. For what you pay today.s dashcams do very well for the money and they will get most plates, just not all of them or always.

Phil
When you say "
Personally I'd choose the A119S for a wedge-shaped cam at that price level. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller and get the newest version" what is meant by newer version?, thank you in advance!

When you say "
Personally I'd choose the A119S for a wedge-shaped cam at that price level. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller and get the newest version" what is meant by newer version?, thank you in advance!

The newest version has an improved GPS mount that is more stable than the original. If you decide to buy an A119s just make sure the vendor can supply units from the most recent manufacturing run.

Edit: I think there is also an improvement with the contact pins on the GPS unit.

Also, just in case you are not aware, the A119s will provide enhanced performance in low light situations, whereas the original A119 has higher resolution and will provide better detail than the A119S during the day.

Last edited:
The newest version has an improved mount that is more stable than the original. If you decide to by an A119s just make sure the vendor can supply units from the most recent manufacturing run.

Also, just in case you are not aware, the A119s will provide enhanced performance in low light situations, whereas the original A119 has higher resolution and will provide better detail than the A119S during the day.
Thank you, however, your response poses a couple of questions (pardon so many questions but as a newbie I am feeling my way around). Q1) will the new version include A119 mount as well. Q2. I like the idea of better night vision but if I go with A119s am I downgrading in much significance of day resolution? Q3 with a difference in FOV of 160 & 135 is there a noticeable 'fish eye' effect in the A119 Vs A119s?. For some background my driving is approximately 65% day / 35% night. I like the wider FOV of the A119 and resolution unless the difference is negligible with A119s. I have read opposing views between the two and looking for input from experienced users such as yourself in help of decision making

@dbcrum, Since I don't actually own an A119 and have only been following it casually I'm afraid I may not be the best person here to accurately answer all of your questions but I'm sure that someone else who is far more knowledgeable about the finer points of the A119 and A119S will see your query here and respond. Also, if you take the time to peruse the forums along with some of the better known vendors web sites you will find some of the answers you seek there. In fact, @OCD Tronic would be a good definitive source for information about what each model will now include. I'm sure he will see that I've tagged him.

Q1: All new A119S V2 as of today come with the new GPS connection system on the back of the camera, new lens base, and special EVA foam.

Amazon:
A119S V2 With GPS mount = B01MFAK888

A119S V2 Without GPS mount = B01MDPB7CS

Once A119 V2 is in stock they too will also have everything listed above.

Q2/Q3: the higher resolution of the A119 makes up for wider FOV but night performance isn't as good. I personally prefer the A119S for better low light performance. Latest A119S firmware improved IQ greatly over the original release. The early side by side comparisons were done before this new firmware increased IQ

All I can add here are my personal thoughts. I recently bought my first cam tailored for low-light use and I was amazed at how much better that was. There was a small loss in daytime clarity but it's still good enough to show my innocence should a crash happen. So for me anyway, it does the job I want done daytime and excels at night where I once worried whether the vids were good enough to protect me. Between the two I'd choose the A119S, but neither is a bad choice for a dashcam.

There is one thing I feel I should mention which I became aware of only yesterday. The GPS versions of these cams will write GPS data to the vids even when you've selected "off" for the GPS. So if you are involved in a crash and you were going a little over the speed limit that will be discovered when the vids are reviewed as evidence, and that will probably influence your case and your insurance claim adversely. I expect this will be changed in a firmware update at some point if that can create the changes but I don't know any of that for certain. I do know that I don't want GPS running on any of my cams and for this reason alone I now would not buy a GPS-enabled version of these cams. YMMV

Phil

All I can add here are my personal thoughts. I recently bought my first cam tailored for low-light use and I was amazed at how much better that was. There was a small loss in daytime clarity but it's still good enough to show my innocence should a crash happen. So for me anyway, it does the job I want done daytime and excels at night where I once worried whether the vids were good enough to protect me. Between the two I'd choose the A119S, but neither is a bad choice for a dashcam.

There is one thing I feel I should mention which I became aware of only yesterday. The GPS versions of these cams will write GPS data to the vids even when you've selected "off" for the GPS. So if you are involved in a crash and you were going a little over the speed limit that will be discovered when the vids are reviewed as evidence, and that will probably influence your case and your insurance claim adversely. I expect this will be changed in a firmware update at some point if that can create the changes but I don't know any of that for certain. I do know that I don't want GPS running on any of my cams and for this reason alone I now would not buy a GPS-enabled version of these cams. YMMV

Phil

This recent revelation and discussion regarding unwanted embedded GPS data even if it is switched off on the camera menu has made me appreciate having a GPS enabled camera with a remote antenna that can simply be unplugged. Something to consider when shopping for a GPS enabled cam. :cool:

Phil

I'd question the reason for people buying a GPS version if they didn't want GPS data for fear it was going to implicate them in something, it is possible to have that data logged without embedding it in the video so does require specific playback software to see the detail, just watching the video won't reveal anything

I'd question the reason for people buying a GPS version if they didn't want GPS data for fear it was going to implicate them in something, it is possible to have that data logged without embedding it in the video so does require specific playback software to see the detail, just watching the video won't reveal anything

As time goes by (7 years) I am finding that GPS is more of a gimmick on dash cams that is fun and interesting to play with but not really useful or even legally actionable. If I were buying another camera such as the A119 I would not opt for the GPS version.

[QUOTE="jokiin, post: 330663, member: 469]" just watching the video won't reveal anything[/QUOTE]

True, but it seems that you haven't been up against some of the prosecutors and attorney's I've seen. There are plenty of them who will discover the embedded data in the true and complete copy which you are legally compelled to give them then use that against you. Those folks aren't noobs; they know their business and you won't sneak anything past them.

I can live with a built-in GPS as long a I can totally turn it off. It seems that's how other cams function, which is the reason I cannot understand why these are not done that way too.

Phil

As time goes by (7 years) I am finding that GPS is more of a gimmick on dash cams that is fun and interesting to play with but not really useful or even legally actionable. If I were buying another camera such as the A119 I would not opt for the GPS version.

personally I think that people talking about wanting to selectively turn it on or off makes no sense, you either have it or you don't, so when they have it on they will magically never have anything go wrong, long odds I would think

personally I think that people talking about wanting to selectively turn it on or off makes no sense, you either have it or you don't, so when they have it on they will magically never have anything go wrong, long odds I would think

Yeah.

just watching the video won't reveal anything

True, but it seems that you haven't been up against some of the prosecutors and attorney's I've seen. There are plenty of them who will discover the embedded data in the true and complete copy which you are legally compelled to give them then use that against you. Those folks aren't noobs; they know their business and you won't sneak anything past them.

I can live with a built-in GPS as long a I can totally turn it off. It seems that's how other cams function, which is the reason I cannot understand why these are not done that way too.

Phil

keep in mind the GPS is not built in on these models, it is external and an option

Again true. But if it were compulsory with a cam I wanted then I'd turn it off and leave it off, same as I do with audio now.

Phil

Back