Recommended A119S settings?

Stephen13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm completely new to dash cams and how to best use them. Is there a posted list of recommended settings for day & night usage I can use to set my A119S to get the best from it while I get more familiar with the device? I'm currently using the A119S with FW2.1, CPL and GPS mount. I'm partially disabled from a failed back operation that forced me into an early retirement so I don't drive that much anymore. Consequently I don't get to use the cam all that often to experiment and compare settings. The wife and I plan to do some traveling by car in the coming months so I would like to optimize our cam for best results while we are on the road.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I'm completely new to dash cams and how to best use them. Is there a posted list of recommended settings for day & night usage I can use to set my A119S to get the best from it while I get more familiar with the device? I'm currently using the A119S with FW2.1, CPL and GPS mount. I'm partially disabled from a failed back operation that forced me into an early retirement so I don't drive that much anymore. Consequently I don't get to use the cam all that often to experiment and compare settings. The wife and I plan to do some traveling by car in the coming months so I would like to optimize our cam for best results while we are on the road.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Hi Stephen
I’m have the following issue and situation similar to you.
I have a restrictive back problem and I only drive about 15,000 miles a year.
My dash cam is A119S, V2, 7G F1.6 Lens Sony IMX291 Sensor, GPS, CPL filter.
Firmware A119S_170622_V1.7, plug in connection, purchased Aug 14th this year.
I don’t want to be reaching up to the dash cam anymore than is necessary.
The only time I reach up to the A119S unit is to:
*Alternate micro sd card and format once a month or before a trip to make sure all is functioning properly.
*Change my Exposure Setting (winter +0.0) (summer -1/3) and Time Zone Setting (-4 DST) (-5 STD)
The A119s stays put and will only be removed for cleaning of the area or unit.
The purpose of the dash cam for me is to be my witness while I’m driving behind the steering wheel.
Today, Nov 5th, I switched to Standard Time, revised my Exposure and Time Zone Settings and Formatted the micro sd card.
If you want see all my settings go to post Time Zone and Possible Exposure Settings and my Oct 3rd entry.
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
PS - I previously had a G1W-C for 3 years and I like the A119s better.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your back problems. Until you've experienced them most people have no idea how painful it can be. My friends used to give me all kinds of grief before my surgery. They would call me names and say that it couldn't possibly hurt that bad. My reply to them was that I would kick their arse if I could only stand up. A few years back my friend Larry started experiencing severe back spasms. He made it a point to apologize to me for the comments he made back then saying that he had never experienced pain like that before.

Anyway... Thank you for the tips. I had already forgotten about making the time zone change. I was surprised to see your preference for winter/summer exposure settings. I was thinking that day/night settings would be more important. I'll be sure to give your TZ & exposure settings post a read.

Sorry to hear about your back problems. Until you've experienced them most people have no idea how painful it can be. My friends used to give me all kinds of grief before my surgery. They would call me names and say that it couldn't possibly hurt that bad. My reply to them was that I would kick their arse if I could only stand up. A few years back my friend Larry started experiencing severe back spasms. He made it a point to apologize to me for the comments he made back then saying that he had never experienced pain like that before.

Anyway... Thank you for the tips. I had already forgotten about making the time zone change. I was surprised to see your preference for winter/summer exposure settings. I was thinking that day/night settings would be more important. I'll be sure to give your TZ & exposure settings post a read.

The reasons for my different Exposure Settings are twofold.
The sun in my area is very bright and strong in the summer and not as intense in the winter.
My dash interior is a bit reflective and the license plates in my province use a white reflective paint in background.
I recall a tip by member CaptureYourAction, suggesting moving the angle of the lens downward to reduce exposure to the sky.
I also experimented with the Exposure aperture settings and came up with -1/3.
The combination of changing the lens position and the aperture setting worked out perfectly for me.

Last edited:
Back