Recording bit rates: are they important or not?

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
Hi.

Recently I learned that some of the G1WH's "alternative" firmwares can change the camera's effective recording bit rate from the original 11.9 Mbps up to 14.7 Mbps. Of course this creates larger files, reducing a 32 GB SD card's capacity almost in an hour of available recording time, not to mention the additional storage space needed. As an example, a LBR, 5 minute clip, has 470 MB and a HBR clip has 575 MB!

Are there any real benefits in a higher bit rate, for instance in videos there are meant to be played on YT, or no matter what the bit rate is it'll look the same?

PS: Sorry about the error in the title. I'd appreciate if someone could correct it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also lower bitrates can cause blocking in the video.
It's not so it can be played on YouTube it is so you have a better chance of capturing a plate or detail in that time when you need it.

More data=more details.
That's the physics. ;)
Well, I never thought of it in that way but makes perfect sense.

Also lower bitrates can cause blocking in the video.
It's not so it can be played on YouTube it is so you have a better chance of capturing a plate or detail in that time when you need it.
I gave the YT example because we all know what it does to the quality of the videos. So, what you're saying is: if the original file's bit rate is higher the better it will look on YT?

I'm convinced. I've been using the 2014.0504 FW, which has the same bit rate as the original, but then I'm going to update to the 2015.0121 version and start thinking about getting another 32 GB SD card because I might need to do journeys longer than 4 hours.

Thanks for your feedback.

So, what you're saying is: if the original file's bit rate is higher the better it will look on YT?
I didn't mean to say it that way. To go that far you might need a camera that can shoot higher resolution. (like the Mini 0806)

I meant that having a lower bitrate in general cause blocky spots in raw video like the 8MB in some older BlackVue cameras, and then meant to say that the extra bitrate in the other firmware could capture a little more detail in a real world event like a car bumps you in a car park and takes off the higher the bitrate the better the chance you could make out a face or plate.

Also the camera of course auto loops so the size increase only means a few less clips can be stored at the same time before being looped.

Oh, I see. The current 12 Mbps files look good enough and clear enough in the original format to make out any details I might need (hopefully I'll never need them, but one never knows...) so what I gotta do now is test how a 15 Mbps video will look after YT's "processing" and draw a conclusion from there. Or not. :D

Last edited:
YouTube will compress down to anything from 2mbit to 4mbit and pretty much makes a mess of anything from a dashcam, good quality is saved for the commercial stuff that brings them revenue

Bit-rate should be in balance with other hardware components. There is a "braking point" where adding more bit-rate does not give any significant benefit.

Bit-rate should be in balance with other hardware components. There is a "braking point" where adding more bit-rate does not give any significant benefit.
Well, I'm not going to "add" any more than what the FW adds, but if it increases the BR it's probably because the hardware supports it.

Last edited:
I think the point Niko was trying to make was that bitrate isn't everything, the hardware has its limitations and you'll get to the point where increasing the bitrate uses more memory but doesn't deliver any gains, on your camera it will give a better result with the 15mbit firmware though

(...) the hardware has its limitations and you'll get to the point where increasing the bitrate uses more memory but doesn't deliver any gains, on your camera it will give a better result with the 15mbit firmware though
Thank you! That's all I needed to know. :)

Back