Recording indicator hardly visible

simmiv

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just replaced my GS1000 dashcam with the VIOFO A119S. It does take much better footage, both during the day and especially night. The niggling thing I have is the fact that it's not possible to see if it's in recording mode or not. During daytime the sun is far too bright for me to see the pathetic red light behind the record button. It only shows up when it gets dark. I gather one can keep the LCD on all the time and see the red dot flashing, but has anyone done a modification to tap into the red light driver circuit to provide a better stronger light that is visible during daytime?

Do you wear glasses?
If so do they have transition lenses?
I generally see the red dot in the screen unless I'm looking directly into the sunlight.
They can have an effect when you go from sunlight outside to shade inside your vehicle.
Also, my SCREEN SAVER is only on for 3 minutes and the LED on my dash cam is always off.

Last edited:
There are small foam pads that are stuck to the circuit board in the area of the led lights. I think they are there to keep the buttons from vibrating. I have found that when the REC button light is dimmer than normal, that one of these pads has either moved somehow or was mount in a bad spot, partially covering the led that lights the REC button. Possible that this is why yours is so dim. When I notice this, I remove that camera back and pull the pad out with tweezers. It’s usually visible once the lens housing has been moved. There is usually some black tape covering the gap between the circuit board and casing as well. Remove the tape and you should be able to see the foam pad.
FYI, opening up the camera and removing this pad will void the warranty. You may want to ask your seller about this before attempting it.

My first A119S the LED was easy to see but it ended up having a issue where it won't boot anymore. The second one I got has been working fine for a long while but I did notice the LED was dimmer. What capture has said sounds like its what likely is cause the issue. Didn't bother me so I haven't bothered to fix it. Thanks for that tip capture.

My first A119S the LED was easy to see but it ended up having a issue where it won't boot anymore. The second one I got has been working fine for a long while but I did notice the LED was dimmer. What capture has said sounds like its what likely is cause the issue. Didn't bother me so I haven't bothered to fix it. Thanks for that tip capture.
Do you still have the other A119S? If so, did you ever try reloading the firmware? There were some past firmware bugs that caused the issue you had. Those bugs were fixed with updates.

I have mine as a rear (has latest update) and can't see the small red light either during the Day ... so I have the LED screen on all the time, as it is not distracting (day or night) and can only notice that it is on due to the lighter grey colour when looking at it in my rear view mirror. Light grey means that it must be on, otherwise it would be dark.
Works for me (y)

Last edited:
Do you still have the other A119S? If so, did you ever try reloading the firmware? There were some past firmware bugs that caused the issue you had. Those bugs were fixed with updates.
No, sent it back for a replacement long ago. It had that issue within 30 days or purchase and I think I was on the latest firmware at the time.

Back