Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

Those times seem reasonable to me.
What sort of times would better suit you?

It would be nice if it was longer, but if your using a 64GB card, then your gonna get around 7-8 hours of recording time before it loops and starts to erase the oldest file. Depending on how much you drive daily, that's a lot of time to be able to pull any video from the card you want to save. Put a 128GB card in and I could go almost two weeks before I'd have to worry about it writing over the oldest files. It can technically accept up to 512GB (only been tested up to 128GB).

Test firmware on Falsifikator brightness correction tables + 100% of baseline values. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/8him/FTrg8p2GK On the basis of the firmware 20160405a_DAB201_A12a55_gps_zhongxing_v2385
2560х1440 HDR OFF Before 1.jpg After 2.jpg
2560x1440 HDR ON Before 3.jpg After 4.jpg
2560x1440 HDR OFF Before 11.jpg After 12.jpg
2560x1440 HDR ON Before 13.jpg After 14.jpg

Last edited:
Those looks interesting. Is this normal bitrate?

Last edited:
The bit rate is not changed.

Test firmware on Falsificator brightness correction tables + 100% of baseline values
In low light conditions may cause noise. The HDR mode is turned off may cause color noise.
In good light noise is reduced. Firmware test. Initially set higher values for their determination.
Screenshots and short original videos are welcome, you can in the personal correspondence.
I do not have a registrar, so important for me to see the changes...
1.gif
2.gif

Last edited:
Test firmware on Falsifikator brightness correction tables + 100% of baseline values. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/8him/FTrg8p2GK On the basis of the firmware 20160405a_DAB201_A12a55_gps_zhongxing_v2385
2560х1440 HDR OFF Before View attachment 22206 After View attachment 22207
2560x1440 HDR ON Before View attachment 22208 After View attachment 22209
2560x1440 HDR OFF Before View attachment 22210 After View attachment 22211
2560x1440 HDR ON Before View attachment 22212 After View attachment 22213
Thanks for sharing but, the link you provided, is version 2287 (not v2385), with icons changed, edog settings and high bitrate. I have not tested in low light to see if there are changes in brightness.

Thanks for sharing but, the link you provided, is version 2287 (not v2385), with icons changed, edog settings and high bitrate. I have not tested in low light to see if there are changes in brightness.
Reference to test the firmware has changed. Download again.

In low light conditions may cause noise. The HDR mode is turned off may cause color noise.
In good light noise is reduced. Firmware test. Initially set higher values for their determination.
Screenshots and short original videos are welcome, you can in the personal correspondence.
I do not have a registrar, so important for me to see the changes...
View attachment 22225
View attachment 22226
Hi friend! I test 2385, is ok with his plus lighting, especially if using a CPL filter, filter blurring caused by increased lighting is compensated by this firmware. My question is, can get firmware 2385 with increased bitrate? Anticipate thanx.

Hi friend! I test 2385, is ok with his plus lighting, especially if using a CPL filter, filter blurring caused by increased lighting is compensated by this firmware. My question is, can get firmware 2385 with increased bitrate? Anticipate thanx.
I need to gather more information about the picture in different conditions,
in order to correctly adjust the brightness setting. To do this, I need screenshots and raw video.
Later, increase bitrate...

I need to gather more information about the picture in different conditions,
in order to correctly adjust the brightness setting. To do this, I need screenshots and raw video.
Later, increase bitrate...
Ok, I wait and thanx, great work. Respect.

Hi guys!

I´m really interested in this camera, but I want to know if it even is supported by the company that made it? Are there official firmware updates from them?

For a while, I was interested in the "Mini 08xx" cameras, but it seemed like some of those cameras had issues and you had to be lucky to get a good one.. What about this one? Is it also like a lottery when it comes to getting one that wont have issues?

Hi guys!

I´m really interested in this camera, but I want to know if it even is supported by the company that made it? Are there official firmware updates from them?

For a while, I was interested in the "Mini 08xx" cameras, but it seemed like some of those cameras had issues and you had to be lucky to get a good one.. What about this one? Is it also like a lottery when it comes to getting one that wont have issues?
No information about the problems in this DVR. Great choice!

Hi guys!

It appears there is no official firmware support directly from the factory to the general public. Fortunately, there are many nice forum members here who are willing to post newer and improved firmware in this forum.

The camera is well built and appears to have a metal diecast casing. The video quality is excellent. Some people consider that video resolution of 2560x1080 is better than the dome's 2560x1440. But I think the 1440 wider vertical angle can offer me better info as to whether I've jumped the lights or not while I am passing an intersection as the camera can capture the traffic lights almost right above you.

So far I am quite happy with my D201. Highly recommended.

I'm not aware of any reported issues with the camera. As far as firmware goes, I have received a few versions and have posted those on this forum. Others have as well. There was an issue with the parking mode using motion detection that Dome fixed in the latest version. If there are any future updates I'm sure you'll be able to find them here.

BTW, does this device save GPS data somewhere?
On my SD card I only find the video files.
The GPS module is connected and the speed is indicated on the video.
A while ago I had some other dashcam (forgot now which exactly), it had built in GPS and was saving GPS data in a separate files along with the video files.

And also when I try to play video using the Car DV Player (v1.119) supplied with the device, it just crashes. Can only play videos with ordinary video player.

The GPS info is in the MP4 file. Car DV Player is the only player that displays the GPS info at the moment. The version I have (1.119) works fine. I use it on Windows 10 without any issues. I think someone posted a link to it a page or so back. If you can't find it I can post it as well.

Back