Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

The mount on the DAB201 has a slight wedge shape on the suction part of the mount. It's meant to cause a tight friction fit. If you insert it backward and force it in, it could possibly cause the cracking issue. Unfortunately the manual doesn't mention this.

I watched Andrew from cam central's video comparing the Ausdom and the dome, he did mention the wedge shape and the fact that its only suppose to fit in one way, I took note of that prior to mounting the camera so that couldnt have been the reason why these things are failing.

Has anyone taken apart a 201 to change the focus?

Thanks.

I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but there is a video out there where someone takes it apart. Might help you out.

You have any video or still pictures of your issue?

It's easy to do. Don't have to disassemble the camera. The outer plastic ring pops off with a little pressure from a thin knife blade between it and the body of the camera. Then scrape off the glue they put on to keep the lens oriented. After that you can focus it.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say it was definitely out of focus. It appeared to be so I adjusted it. But it is as good as it going to get at this point.

After I adjusted on it, I compared video from it and my other camera back to back on my computer. It's now the better of the two. I like this camera a lot so far.

It's a Mobius. It's done me right. I've had it for over two years, and run it everyday. The definition was good enough to read a license plate on a hit and run driver last week. Can't complain.

It's easy to do. Don't have to disassemble the camera. The outer plastic ring pops off with a little pressure from a thin knife blade between it and the body of the camera. Then scrape off the glue they put on to keep the lens oriented. After that you can focus it.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say it was definitely out of focus. It appeared to be so I adjusted it. But it is as good as it going to get at this point.

After I adjusted on it, I compared video from it and my other camera back to back on my computer. It's now the better of the two. I like this camera a lot so far.
What did you use to re-glue the plastic ring?

A couple of drops of 5 Minute epoxy.

Mine is definitely out of focus but I'm kinda afraid to break it. Can you please explain in mode details how did you do that? Thanks!

I just snapped a pic of mine to show you what you see when you pop off the outer shroud. In this pic I have already removed the glue that retained the lens. You have to be very careful, the mount that the lens attaches to looks fragile. After the glue is off you can turn the lens in and out to change focus.

20160613_232120_zps66nbrsc4.jpg

Do you have any before/after comparison video's?

CPL Filters are great, but just remember, it blocks 1 fstop if not more of light. For night time, that is a huge performance hit.

CPL Filters are great, but just remember, it blocks 1 fstop if not more of light. For night time, that is a huge performance hit.
It is a bit of a hit, but I think it's worth it if you have some nasty reflections. It does remove easily if you wanted to remove it for night time.

Does the filter come with any sort of case?
The filter itself comes in a hard plastic case. The filter won't fit in the case if the adapter is attached to it though. I will also include a soft cotton blend pocket bag/pouch with it that the whole thing will fit into. Similar to the picture below.

Attachments

• Bag.jpg
    Bag.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 16
Back