Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

Sure would be great if the firmware updates came with a change log. :cool:

OK, so I'm told the only thing that has changed in this latest version is the up/down buttons work a little faster while in playback mode.

No question it makes the colors pop.
The black road difference is amazing too.

How about some night time footage? ;) Wondering how'd it look with the CPL on. Also, what's this anti-vibration mod lol

I'll see what I can do about night footage. Not often I go out after dark. As the filter will reduce the total light arriving at the sensor, it's not likely to be great.
Unscrewing the filter and using the cam direct for night would be my choice.

The anti vibration mod is the addition of a washer between the thumbscrew of the mount and the camera, in an attempt to "distribute the load" a bit. In the car with the stiff suspension it has helped a bit. Have not checked results in the everyday car yet.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QUE4dC0xVlVyR1hBaXk1REVGbzhwbHdYejFhak13

How about some night time footage? ;) Wondering how'd it look with the CPL on. Also, what's this anti-vibration mod lol
Removing the CPL is easy if you find it makes the footage too dark at night. As far as the mount goes, as obvious as this sounds, really make sure that the mount is really tight into the camera. If you still have movement/vibrations then try the washer trick. Like in iptelmans picture, make sure the thumb wheel/nut is all the way up against the mount, then screw it down tight into the camera (with washer in between). I used a smaller washer than the one in the picture and it eliminated any movement I saw. I would think a larger washer (fender washer) would work even better.

I just want to confirm some functions of the Dome D201. Motion Detection, Parking Monitor features.

1. Does the motion detection turn the camera on when the car is parked and power is off to the camera?

2. Will it use the internal battery to capture video until motion is not detected?

3. Will the Parking Monitor feature work with the power off to the camera and use the internal battery?

4. How long will the battery last that is built into the camera?

5. I have read the forms and there has been many firmware updates to the camera. Can you turn the mph so it is not display in the video when using the GPS?

Parking monitor needs constant power either hardwire or power packs.
Dashcam in parking mode is on but only records when it detects motion. If it's off, there is no parking mode.
Built in battery won't last more than 10 minutes.

5. I have read the forms and there has been many firmware updates to the camera. Can you turn the mph so it is not display in the video when using the GPS?

This popular feature request has thus far gone unanswered by Dome. I really hope that they change their mind. :)

I just want to confirm some functions of the Dome D201. Motion Detection, Parking Monitor features.

1. Does the motion detection turn the camera on when the car is parked and power is off to the camera?

2. Will it use the internal battery to capture video until motion is not detected?

3. Will the Parking Monitor feature work with the power off to the camera and use the internal battery?

4. How long will the battery last that is built into the camera?

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/bought-a-dab205.19001/page-8

If you read page 8 and 9 you should find your answers. We just discussed this the other day.
Battery lasts less than 10 minutes.
MPH cannot be turned off. I have asked about this and was told that to change this could potentially cause other issues.

I am new to dash cameras. If I want to use the Parking Monitor and need a hardwire kit then how does the camera know when to start recording and stop recording when the car is started and running and stopped and parked if there is power to the camera all of the time. Do I then need to start and stop the camera video manually if using the hardwire kit. I do not understand how the hardwire kit accomplishes this. I thought the hardwire kit just prevents your car battery from dying if the voltage is low it cuts off power to the camera.

I want the camera to record video and stop recording video automatically when then car is running and parked, but I also want the Parking Monitor to function automatically when the car is parked. How do I accomplished this? If I need a hardwire kit what is recommended to accomplish this?

thanks for all of the help and info.

Only few cameras auto switch to parking mode when parked but for most, it's just power.
You have to manually switch recording mode to motion detection or parking mode.

Mine D201 ambarella A12 is on his way by parcel, can't wait :)

What progress can I expect, I make time-lapse videos (cloud lapse, thunderlapse, etc) with my G1W camera and EKEN H9.
Anyone know the quality of this camera in this circumstances of great lightning?

Is there a way to modify the bitrate of the latest firmware v2534_v4 ? Or is someone able to modify it and upload then? Thank you

Is there a way to modify the bitrate of the latest firmware v2534_v4 ? Or is someone able to modify it and upload then? Thank you
@Falsificator has increased the bitrate of an older version. He had it up to around 40 I think. Not sure if he's done anything with the recent version, but I think I still have a copy of the old one if you want to try it. FYI, there is a newer version than 2535. 2771 is the latest, but there is no change in video quality.

Back