Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

I am unaware of any image quality differences between those two versions (not saying there isn't - but was told there was not). I would be interested to see if anyone else has noticed if the HDR is darker on the v2771. Keep in mind that unless you have 2 of the same cameras side by side running the 2 different versions, it may be hard to judge one over the other. I would think you'd need the same scenarios (what the camera is capturing), unless it is completely obvious that the video is that much darker. Also, the camera has a variable bit rate, so again, unless your comparing the same exact footage using both firmware versions, it's going to vary. Unless of coarse there is a big bit rate difference.
I will ask Dome about the side button that shuts the screen off. @Pianoman144 you said this functions correctly in v2534? Also, what is the bit rate difference you are seeing?

So many opinions. :)
It's probably best to try any version you are curious about and evaluate for yourself.

So many opinions. :)
It's probably best to try any version you are curious about and evaluate for yourself.
Hahaha....it's good to have many opinions. I'll try them once I've gotten myself a better write speed microSD card don't want to encounter this Low-Speed-Card message

@CaptureYourAction yes this funtions is correct in the v2534. The difference was around 3-4 MB/s. The v2534 has 27MB/s and the 2771 has only 23MB/s overall Bitrate.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Flashed v2534_v4 bitrate version. I don't see image quality differences between the FWs but big increased in bitrate. Anyway, I had a SanDisk Ultra (yes Ultra) in the unit and to my surprise it was recording fine without Low-Speed-Card message even with the higher bitrate.

upload_2016-10-16_21-17-32.png

These are the info with v2318
upload_2016-10-16_21-13-47.png

These are the info with v2534_v4 bitrate
upload_2016-10-16_21-12-49.png

@CaptureYourAction yes this funtions is correct in the v2534. The difference was around 3-4 MB/s. The v2534 has 27MB/s and the 2771 has only 23MB/s overall Bitrate.

I'll ask Dome about the screen off button/function.
I don't know what the bitrate difference between scenes could be. If your recording very similar scenes then I would doubt the difference would be 3-4 Mbps. But otherwise that 3-4 swings might be possible. I honestly have not compared bit rates between different firmware versions.

@Pianoman144 Does your manual say that you can turn off the screen by pressing the down button while recording? I can't seem to find this in my DAB202 or DAB205 manual. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

@Pianoman144 Does your manual say that you can turn off the screen by pressing the down button while recording? I can't seem to find this in my DAB202 or DAB205 manual. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.
I don't see the manual mention about turning off screen by pressing the down button but it does work on both firmware 2318 and 2534 on D201.

Most dashcams turn LCD off when short pressing the power button and still continue record.
Test it though as some dashcams shut down immediately.

I don't see the manual mention about turning off screen by pressing the down button but it does work on both firmware 2318 and 2534 on D201.
OK. I started to email my contact at Dome about it, but couldn't find a reference to it in the manual anywhere.

OK. I started to email my contact at Dome about it, but couldn't find a reference to it in the manual anywhere.
The Dome D201 English manual is really horrible. I mostly have to guess what they are saying and there are many mistakes in the Unit Structure Chart too.

The Dome D201 English manual is really horrible. I mostly have to guess what they are saying and there are many mistakes in the Unit Structure Chart too.
The firmware has changed a lot as well, so some of what it's referring to (in the manual) isn't in the newer firmware menu.

The button was working and only this Button to close the LCD manually. It was working with the '2534 and previous. In the 2771 there is only working the upper Button to mute the microphone

Dome said a short press of the power button should shut off screen.

It does not. How long I was pressing. Hm dunno. But I use 2534 anyway so. Thanks

There are some vibration in the video/image (sometime "wobble"). Have you guys encountered this?

There are some vibration in the video/image (sometime "wobble"). Have you guys encountered this?
I have seen some videos of the wobble. Not sure what causes it. I assume it has something to do with the mount. Does not seem to affect everyone though. I have not experienced this with the DAB205's I have tested. I would just make sure that everything is tight. I did have one customer with a similar issue, though he thought a lot of it was because his van having a very rough suspension. He switched to an adhesive mount and he said that helped a lot. I have posted about an adhesive mount before in one of these threads. I'll have to find it again.

I have seen some videos of the wobble. Not sure what causes it. I assume it has something to do with the mount. Does not seem to affect everyone though. I have not experienced this with the DAB205's I have tested. I would just make sure that everything is tight. I did have one customer with a similar issue, though he thought a lot of it was because his van having a very rough suspension. He switched to an adhesive mount and he said that helped a lot. I have posted about an adhesive mount before in one of these threads. I'll have to find it again.
I believe it's the mount too. It does not tightly fit onto the unit also sometime I can see the cam vibrate (I was the passenger). I had bad experience with adhesive mount as the last adhesive mount I had somehow worn off and came peeling off a little of my windscreen tint film.
The mount that came with the D201 is really badly built. Compare to my sister's Blaupunkt BP3.0's mount this D201 mount is awful. I'm thinking of if there is any compatible good solid mount for D201 I would like to get hold of one. Any recommendation?

I believe it's the mount too. It does not tightly fit onto the unit also sometime I can see the cam vibrate (I was the passenger). I had bad experience with adhesive mount as the last adhesive mount I had somehow worn off and came peeling off a little of my windscreen tint film.
The mount that came with the D201 is really badly built. Compare to my sister's Blaupunkt BP3.0's mount this D201 mount is awful. I'm thinking of if there is any compatible good solid mount for D201 I would like to get hold of one. Any recommendation?
I thought you were talking about the DAB205 not the DAB201. Sorry, my bad. The mount that the DAB201 uses is a fairly generic mount used buy a lot of cameras. You can find them on Ebay for a couple of bucks. I only briefly sold the 201, but as I recall the mount fit very tightly. Maybe you just received a bad mount?

Back