Reviewing footage on pc

No, they're full LED.

Very bright and very similar white brightness like HID's

So do you think the LEDs with "white brightness" could be illuminating the plates so much, that they become unreadable? I wonder how the image would appear if Halogen Bulbs (more yellowish) were used while driving. Being that I have Halogens (not the greatest), the illumination is far less and Halogens aren't a "white light". So less reflective.

Anyone who doesn't need HDR may simply not enable it. I would like to watch the original night video with oncoming cars from America on firmware V2.6T with HDR enabled. 129 DUO on imx 291, it only supports WDR.

Anyone who doesn't need HDR may simply not enable it. I would like to watch the original night video with oncoming cars from America on firmware V2.6T with HDR enabled. 129 DUO on imx 291, it only supports WDR.

What about the A139 3 Channel? HDR or WDR? I haven't looked honestly. I'm away atm so can't really check things either.

I still wonder if the type of headlights play a role here. Bright white lights (HID / Xenons)- My Guess - would cause a brightness effect making plates harder to read. Over the "Yellowish" lower light halogens.

So do you think the LEDs with "white brightness" could be illuminating the plates so much, that they become unreadable? I wonder how the image would appear if Halogen Bulbs (more yellowish) were used while driving. Being that I have Halogens (not the greatest), the illumination is far less and Halogens aren't a "white light". So less reflective.

My previous car was 'yellowish' halogens but I can't find any night footage under those headlights.

All in all though these latest LED's are good.

There is no HDR in the photo above. Simple halogens will be worse.

Led and Xenon give good results with HDR, no glare.

I suspect in @Dashmellow case versus @gse the difference is the size of the plates. American plates are much smaller (just google to compare) than European plates. Also they are far more reflective. So it seems HDR is far less successful on those running tests in the USA vs. Europe where plates are often much larger. Meaning HDR might not be of much use in countries where plates are small and reflective.

Well yes, the size (and colors) of US and Canadian plates as a factor was already mentioned about ten days ago.

I think some of this has to do with the much smaller size of American and Canadian license plates which makes them much harder to capture in general but especially at night.

....and again eight days ago.

As I also mentioned earlier, the size and colors of American and Canadian license plates may make a big difference here.

I'm very reticent about activating HDR as I thought, from posts here, that it produces a double image that increases motion blur ?

So it seems HDR is far less successful on those running tests in the USA vs. Europe where plates are often much larger. Meaning HDR might not be of much use in countries where plates are small and reflective.

Attachments

• 20211025070422_000012.MP4_snapshot_00.53_[2021.10.25_16.03.25].jpg
    20211025070422_000012.MP4_snapshot_00.53_[2021.10.25_16.03.25].jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211028200511_000133.MP4_snapshot_00.45_[2021.10.29_12.25.59].jpg
    20211028200511_000133.MP4_snapshot_00.45_[2021.10.29_12.25.59].jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: gse
V2.6T_(20211019)
HDR=on
EV=-1,3
CPL=on
Lights Xenon.

Last edited:
Reactions: gse
I won't be out in the dark till next weekend but I'll turn HDR on.

I'm still using the Mod from vvs based on 2.05. Hopefully that's one that may benefit.

HDR now on.

Snag - with the weekend hour change it'll be 3 or 4 weeks before I'm out in the dark again :cool:

Last edited:
Updated my Firmware to 2.5 and was able to select letterbox style at 30fps. Results look good.

vlcsnap-2021-11-02-18h55m17s720.jpg

Looks very good.

I must revisit mine as I moved mine a week ago about 2" left and half an inch down.. I hadn't taken into account the much wider centre camera and sensor cover behind the rearview mirror. I had a chunk of black cover showing that may have affected the sensor.

The A119 V3 is a very competent dashcam.

Update 1.Evening all. A bit of an update to all this, I took my partners dash cam and put it in my car to see how it performs with HiD headlights. Video in the link, cam settings in the description
This cam doesn't read no. plates under street lighting or on unlit roads

She has my cam in her car

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't read them on the YouTube video. I'd need to see some unadulterated video to tell if the HiD makes a difference.

It certainly doesn't read them on the YouTube video. I'd need to see some unadulterated video to tell if the HiD makes a difference.

Yeah, it's always a good idea to try to post a copy of the raw video for members to download. Many members use Dropbox or MEGA.

Update 2. Hi all. The following clips are from my cam in my partners car.
LED headlights. Same stretch of road in first clip. Stationary vehicle on right passing at about 35 - 40 mph

Second clip is at combined speed of about 50 -60mph

Last edited:
Yeah, it's always a good idea to try to post a copy of the raw video for members to download. Many members use Dropbox or MEGA.
YouTube is handy for me at the moment. I will subscribe to what you've suggested in the future

There are clear differences between the two cams so I'm gonna try and update my partners cam to 2.4

YouTube is handy for me at the moment. I will subscribe to what you've suggested in the future

There are clear differences between the two cams so I'm gonna try and update my partners cam to 2.4

YouTube's compression algorithms really mess with the video quality so providing a link to an original copy of the video allows members to really see what it looks like. :) I recommend MEGA Download over DropBox. It is excellent, secure, fast and you get 20 GB storage free.

Back