Samsung 128gb SD card

MattDs2k

Reaction score
Country
United States
the listing says it's a u3 card. how is that "slower"?

i have no issues using a regular class10/u1 card in my a119 cameras, so a u3 card should be fine as well.

was referring to the one he linked at Fry's, that's a U1 card, slower, but still plenty fast enough
i totally missed the fry's link - i was just looking at the amazon one. :oops:

the one at fry's looks to be the 128gb version of the cards i use (i have 64gb cards) in my two a119 cameras. and at that price, i may have to go pick up a couple of them! the website says the one closest to me (still a 30 min drive one way) has some in stock.

Are these MLC / high endurance cards?

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

Hmm...did a little bit of digging and found this. https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards#lightbox/0/

Scrolling towards the bottom of that article, a Samsung support person mentioned “Samsung SD Cards and Micro SD Cards are not intended to be used for continuous recording purposes for example, in surveillance systems such as a car-black box. The reason for this is because the card may fail with constant and obsessive reading and writing. They are not designed to be constantly and continuously written to.”

Personally I use SanDisk and Silicon Power 64gb high endurance cards. I bought a couple more A119S dashcams and am in the market for additional cards.

Last edited:
Hmm...did a little bit of digging and found this. https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards#lightbox/0/

Scrolling towards the bottom of that article, a Samsung support person mentioned “Samsung SD Cards and Micro SD Cards are not intended to be used for continuous recording purposes for example, in surveillance systems such as a car-black box. The reason for this is because the card may fail with constant and obsessive reading and writing. They are not designed to be constantly and continuously written to.”

Personally I use SanDisk and Silicon Power 64gb high endurance cards. I bought a couple more A119S dashcams and am in the market for additional cards.

The only issue is that the warranty may end early, before the ten years, if the card wears out due to the amount of writing, but that is true with most of the manufacturers. The cards keep a write count and when it exceeds the expected lifetime a warranty request will be denied. I suspect at the moment that the Samsung ones are some of the longest lasting.

The U3 version (MB-MP128GA/AM) of this card will be on sales on Black Friday from Frys for $34. B&H now for $36.99.

attachment.php

I'm thinking of picking up a few of this card just for road trips only so I won't have to swap out the card every few hours. 128GB will last about 10 hours which is the typical amount of driving I would do for a day. For day-to-day use, I'm using the SanDisk High-Endurance 64GB.

Does anybody have any bad experience with this particular version of the card?

Last edited:
The U3 version (MB-MP128GA/AM) of this card will be on sales on Black Friday from Frys for $34. B&H now for $36.99.

I'm thinking of picking up a few of this card just for road trips only so I won't have to swap out the card every few hours. 128GB will last about 10 hours which is the typical amount of driving I would do for a day. For day-to-day use, I'm using the SanDisk High-Endurance 64GB.

Does anybody have any bad experience with this particular version of the card?

it's a non plus model so it's slow, my experience is that large 128+ are slow in speed as well (read and wright) so your mileage may vary in how it works in a dash cam.

BTW I am getting that card too, but for something else. some good fry deals...

it's a non plus model so it's slow, my experience is that large 128+ are slow in speed as well (read and wright) so your mileage may vary in how it works in a dash cam.

BTW I am getting that card too, but for something else. some good fry deals...
It's labeled u3 so it ought to be plenty fast. Besides, we don't need anything faster than class 10/u1 for this camera since it can't record higher than 1440p.

Back