Screen freeze issue on 2.4 firmware

I'm pleased to advise I was able to access the Viofo Support site.
I downloaded Firmware A119S V2.61, FWA119S.bin
I appreciate Viofo's prompt response to make the site secure, thanks.
I'll upload the new FW to my A119S sometime this weekend.
UPDATE: I installed the FirmWare A119S_180730_V2.61 this Sat afternoon.
All is well.

Last edited:
I just want to report I just realized I had this problem too (today) when I start up my car and noticed that my A119S had that same screen.

I checked my memory card and realized it started in July after the 15th since that was the last recording at that time... wow, surprised I never noticed nor checked the screen for over 2-3 weeks.

I tried the reset button and everything mentioned and it didn't work.
So I tried the latest firmware 2.61 as stated on this topic and it was back to normal!
I'm so glad because I was afraid I broke it or something too.

Does anyone know the cause of this? I believe I had 2.4 or whatever was the latest firmware in April (when I got my new car is when I bought this cam).

I would like to avoid this happening again.. but lesson learned: From now on before you drive, CHECK THE CAM SCREEN BEFORE DRIVING OUT to make sure it is working!

PS- I noticed there's a "Boot Delay" option, can I get a better clarification on how or what is for? It is default to 5 seconds currently.

Great that you solved your problem.
I have 2 micro sd hc cards and I rotate then about every 2 weeks or before I go on a long drive.
It means I can check how they are working and it also extends the life of the micro sd cards.

Does anyone know the cause of this? I believe I had 2.4 or whatever was the latest firmware in April (when I got my new car is when I bought this cam).

The problem like that of the original poster (screen/button freeze) happens infrequently without regard to the firmware version for unknown reasons. It has even happened on the A119. Some have speculated that the cause is related to the ribbon cable connection between the photo sensor and camera body. Usually just reloading the firmware, whatever the version, cures the symptoms at least temporarily.
I would like to avoid this happening again..
Yes review your files occasionally particularly the first and last in a sequence (power on to power off). A freeze up, though not likely, may not give you any audible or visual warning if the screen is off. {Edit: Well, not exactly true because the screen itself may freeze during boot up, so it will be visible. But you need to check it after boot up.}
PS- I noticed there's a "Boot Delay" option, can I get a better clarification on how or what is for? It is default to 5 seconds currently.
Haven't used it yet but I think the boot delay menu setting is intended for those having camera startup problems caused by the way their ignition/accessory power works. It would delay camera boot up by X seconds after you turn on the car ignition.

Last edited:
PS- I noticed there's a "Boot Delay" option, can I get a better clarification on how or what is for? It is default to 5 seconds currently

The boot delay would be for vehicles that power up the 12V power socket, then shut the socket off while the engine cranks, then power it back up. Perhaps it causes problems for the camera, or causes the camera to power down, then power back up again?

Just for the record: I am still on 2.4 (no boot delay option) and do not have any issue as to A119S startup on my diesel car (with keyless start - not sure if it matters). But things may change in winter?

if you don't need it, you don't need it, very few do need it but for the ones that do it's helpful
I am very appreciative of boot delay in my Subaru Impreza as I would occasionally have issues without it.

Had mine freeze again on me the other day and I had some time to tinker with it. What I found was that if you unplug it, remove the SD card, plug it in, let it power up until it gives you the “no tf card message”, then insert your card, then push the record button and then the menu button. Once in the menu, do a factory reset to default settings and your camera should reboot and then be recording again. Then just set your settings to where you had them and you are on your way. Sorry if this had been posted already. But I was excited not to have to reload a new firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had mine freeze again on me the other day and I had some time to tinker with it. What I found was that if you unplug it, remove the SD card, plug it in, let it power up until it gives you the “no tf card message”, then insert your card, then push the record button and then the menu button. Once in the menu, do a factory reset to default settings and your camera should reboot and then be recording again. Then just set your settings to where you had them and you are on your way. Sorry if this had been posted already. But I was excited not to have to reload a new firmware.

were you on the current firmware already?

were you on the current firmware already?

I was recently update to 2.4 in the past 2 months. I think I saw there was recently a newer version released?

A Transcend high endurance card. Just had this same problem happen again today. Looking into getting a Thinkware F800.
Are you running V2.61? If not, update. Should hopefully be fixed at this point. Assuming your referring to the 1/3 static screen issue.

Don't know when my A119S suffered the same snowy screen problem as it is hidded behind the mirror, on holiday today the Mrs was driving and I noticed the 1/3rd snow screen. not sure exactly what FW version is installed but it was 2.? if I remember correctly.
I will try some of the suggestions here and hope to get it working for our return trip. I did try the reset button but that did nothing.

Well, tried all the above and some more guessed options!
Nothing worked, got to the menu but that seemed to have no effect whatever option was selected, most just ended up with the snow screen problem again. FW was 2.4. I do not have a lead to enable holiday download of FW2.6 so will have to wait till my return.
I am wondering if this VIOFO is not as reliable as I had hoped, a dashcam need to be a 'fit and forget' ready for when you need it, Having to check it before every journey is not reliable, say it fails as mine has just as you are going on a long drive and you find the snow screen?
Not good.

There is no 2.7, I think you mean 1.7 Firmware.
The newest version is 2.61 Firmware and it is excellent.

Well, tried all the above and some more guessed options!
Nothing worked, got to the menu but that seemed to have no effect whatever option was selected, most just ended up with the snow screen problem again. FW was 2.4. I do not have a lead to enable holiday download of FW2.6 so will have to wait till my return.
I am wondering if this VIOFO is not as reliable as I had hoped, a dashcam need to be a 'fit and forget' ready for when you need it, Having to check it before every journey is not reliable, say it fails as mine has just as you are going on a long drive and you find the snow screen?
Not good.
If you can get into the menu, go to the default settings option and manually default the cameras settings. Try it a couple of times if it doesn’t work at first. Do this without a card inside.

If you can get into the menu, go to the default settings option and manually default the cameras settings. Try it a couple of times if it doesn’t work at first. Do this without a card inside.

I can only access the menu if the card is inserted, do you suggest I get to the menu then remove the card when the VIOFO is still plugged into the power? If I power up without the card it flashes to insert the card and beeps a warning.

Back