Searching a small and flat and discrete car DVR

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have a pretty small car and a car behind the mirror is way too big and obvious. I want to fit it on a self made bracked on directly on the dashboard.

Here is a picture where you can see how small my old one was it was the Car Cam One HD laying next to a DVR-027 here you can see it's pretty small. The problem with the car cam one is that it's not more reliable sometimes it's recording sometimes not even if the red LED is blinking.

Foto2.JPG

The requirement are:
- reliable
- 720p - 1280 x 1080
- 25 or 30 FPS
- good daytime quality - medium night quality
- no display but something like a LED where I can get sure that it's recording

Please name me some some small and flat the only one in the DashCamTalk Comparison is the Carcam K2000 and the R280 but both have very poor quality.

Please help!!

PS: Here is a video example of the Car Cam One HD its average not too bad the night quality is poor:

Last edited by a moderator:
sudo said:
How about the 808 #26 car keys micro camera?

The key micro cameras would be the perfect size but it's not a car DVR it just don't has all the advantages of a car dash cam. I don't want to spend time in deleting videos from my camera. :D

sundash said:
Y3000 - The Smallest 720p Camcorder In The World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtTg62GDfs

I've bought it a few month ago. The quality is ok but the biggest problem is recording when the sun is outside because then there are purple colors in the picture everywhere and in 90% of my recordings there is sun outside.

I'm waiting for a different window mount for THIS but size wise it may be what you're looking for?

720p video, will post 1080p version when I finally mount it.

germany said:
sudo said:
How about the 808 #26 car keys micro camera?

The key micro cameras would be the perfect size but it's not a car DVR it just don't has all the advantages of a car dash cam. I don't want to spend time in deleting videos from my camera. :D

sundash said:
Y3000 - The Smallest 720p Camcorder In The World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtTg62GDfs

I've bought it a few month ago. The quality is ok but the biggest problem is recording when the sun is outside because then there are purple colors in the picture everywhere and in 90% of my recordings there is sun outside.
The new version of the keychain camera has loop recording and auto on/off. Its also 1080p! Available to pre order now, ships may 10th.

The one Andy listed has a very keen price, excellent :) sounds like it up scales to fhd though " HD 1280 * 720P high-definition picture quality, the value can make it up 1920 * 1080P".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Basically what you want is something less visible. This is one of the reasons why ITB500-HD seemed to be the best for me. It's a good DVR for the money, but because it's a dual camera DVR the price may be a bit higher than what you initially had in mind. But worth looking into it.

Thanks for the info I haven't seen that it's also a drive recorder with loop recording. If this key chin cam is reliable it would be amazing. Best thing for me and my small car for sure. Many thanks guys.

The ITB-500 HD and the Car-Joy™ Cool UF-007 HD are pretty discrete and small as well but they but it's too obvious recognizeable as a camera the key chin cam is almost not seeable and looks from outside more like a garage door opener than a car camera.

I have to search for key chin cam footage of the previous version because I think the quality will quite similar....

If 720p is enough for you the original #16 and #18 cameras (made by different developers) have Loop recording and more, but not auto-start when charger detected. Available only on ebay for about $36-$42.
If you want 1080p as a keychain with auto-start you can wait for the new #26 to be released next week in China and will be available also on ebay. But for the moment the price is high, about $100. The #26 is made by the #18 and DR32 developer.
Of course the #16 developer will release too a 1080p camera with the same chipset as the #26 but the form factor is not the same as the #26 so it will not be like a key chain. This camera will have more advanced GUI for camera settings and I think will be available from June.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thank you so much Mtz it's so hard to overview all those different kind of key chain cams.

As I said the smal size is the best thing for my car and 720p is perfect I don't nedd 1080p or a higher frame rate at all. But the autostart function when the car starts I think is a must have. So I think it's the best way to order it as soon as possible.

Or what do do you think how quick the price will fall?

My only thougt to whait is the reliability because I had so much dashcams and it's the same thing all the time there is always a problem with the reliability :-/

One more question do you know if there is a blinking light or a little signal that shows you that the cam is recording now?

The #18 V2 (#18A) have an auto-start and auto-stop function but I don't like the auto-stop because is based on internal battery to go empty.

All 808 cameras have blinking LEDs. You can find a lot of videos on YouTube.

The reliability is very good.

enjoy,
Mtz

Don't forget it has a 90° FOV lens, look at the sample footage, decide if that's enough for you before ordering. I don't think reliability will be an issue (just my opinion) as unreliable keychain cams were from other manufacturers AFAIK (fairly new here so not 100% on that :) ).

I guess you could put some black paint on the led if you wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The #18 V2 (#18A) ist just perfect for me Mtz I watched some youtube videos and the pictures are good enough for me also at night. I still have some 808 #1 Key Chains at home and the quality increased so fast.

And thank you Jazzist for reminding me of the wide angle that's also a very important part I'll take this one with the 120° wide lense which is not bad.

I just have seen there's also a 180° Wide Angle Attachment but it's not designed for the 808 so you have to do handicrafts :D

You must know from the start these 3 bugs:
- after charger disconnected the camera will stop only after the internal battery is depleted
- if you will enable the motion detect the loop feature will not work and the old files will be not deleted
- when very dark condition, on the side of the image a blue haze will appear. When will appear some light the blue haze will disappear.

Other problems I don't know.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for those more information but I'm realy sure this one is perfect for me. I saw the videos on our channel and they are good enough for me.

I'm just not sure where I should mount it, on the dashboard or on the inner mirror.

I got it now after a few days of waiting from china. It was pretty cheap but it's the original one.

The #18V2 was the best choice for me thanks once again MTZ. I'll build it under my navigation holder and it's almost not seeable from inside and outside of the car. Which is pretty good because I drive a lot of different people in my car and I don't want to explain anymore why I have this DVR in my car :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to cut the cable and hardwire it into my car.

PS: I'm thinking about to build another #18V2 in the back of my car to record also what's behind me.

You can buy the 808 #26 (will be with wide lens in June-July) but it costs more. Also you can wait for the Mobius which is supposed to be launched in June. This is my advice.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back