Searching for Sony starvis2 camera

Allegfede

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello. Seeking for a Sony starvis2 equipped camera that would be easy to work with?
Anyone knows of an interesting model?
Thanks a lot :)

I dont know of any dashcam hard to work with, i will give a screen less camera will demand more in the form of connecting to it using a phone.
Other than that they are much the same to work with, with only the smart / cloud enabled cameras adding more to the setup procedure.

@Allegfede
Viofo VS1 Newest Dashcam for 2024 Tiny unit. Palm size.

Hello. Seeking for a Sony starvis2 equipped camera that would be easy to work with?
Anyone knows of an interesting model?
Thanks a lot :)
There are enough dashcams around using Starvis & Starvis 2 sensors that you should probably provide some more criteria for what you want. e.g. The Vantrue upper level models have them - the N5 is a 4 channel cam & the N4 Pro a 3 channel. They equate well with the Viofo's mentioned but you will likely find a bigger range if you're just interested in a front cam rather than 360° coverage.

The VS1 that @LateralNW mentioned looks like a really compact option if camera size is a priority for you. After checking out that video, it seems pretty easy to use too since it's just plug and play. Might be worth considering since it has the Starvis sensor in a small package.

My VS1 has a hard time staying connected to the phone through the app. Most of the time unable to connect at all. Without a screen on the unit and not being able to connect to the app, makes this difficult to use. I can't recommend it at this time.

Well you should not be connected to the camera all the time, in the old days if you did that cameras would lover bitrate due to limited resources in Chipsets back then. ( just saying its not like that today )
Generally i have no problems maintaining connection to dashcams, but i have also removed all " connect automatic to this wifi " in my phone, CUZ with that on yes the phone would want to skip wifi now and then.

My VS1 has a hard time staying connected to the phone through the app. Most of the time unable to connect at all. Without a screen on the unit and not being able to connect to the app, makes this difficult to use. I can't recommend it at this time.
What do you mean by "staying connected"? It is not very clear from your description, where the problem is. And have you have problems using the same phone with other dashcams / other Viofo dashcams?

Do you only have problems initially connecting?
Do you have problems staying connected long enough to download a video?
Do you have problems staying connected for a full journey?
Do you have problems staying connected overnight?

I haven't heard of other people having problems with this dashcam, so maybe you have a faulty camera, or it may be a phone issue...

Thank you for your reply, sorry for not being clear. The unit will connect to wifi on my iphone and in about 5-10 seconds it will disconnect. This will repeat (I imagine indefinitely). I am not able to do anything while this is happening. When I reboot the vs1, it will work for the first connection.

Do you only have problems initially connecting?
Rebooting the vs1 will allow me to connect for the first time. If I disconnect from it, the viofo ssid will often not show up to select from, and If it shows up, it will cycle between connected to wifi and disconnected.

Do you have problems staying connected long enough to download a video?
No, when this is happening I can't do anything.

Do you have problems staying connected for a full journey?
Yes, it will disconnect

Do you have problems staying connected overnight?
Haven't tried leaving connected overnight.

I don't have a VS1, but it sounds like a bug in the firmware. I wonder if anyone with one could try to replicate it?

There are no firmware updates at the moment, so I think the only thing to try is to contact Viofo Support and explain the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they already know about it and have a fix.

Thanks, I'll try them after their holidays. It maybe because of the car's bluetooth and wifi hotspot abilities that it is interfering with the VS1's wifi signals. I did disable the hotspot and wifi from the car and didn't make any difference. However, It seems to work better and stays connected to the phone better if I take it out of the car and bench test it.

Thanks, I'll try them after their holidays. It maybe because of the car's bluetooth and wifi hotspot abilities that it is interfering with the VS1's wifi signals. I did disable the hotspot and wifi from the car and didn't make any difference. However, It seems to work better and stays connected to the phone better if I take it out of the car and bench test it.
I've tested a VS1 with firmware v1.0_240105 installed. My iPhone is ancient being an iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 15.8.1. I've not encountered any problem staying connected to the VS1. I've connected to the VS1 5 GHz WiFi and then using the VIOFO app. That worked. I exited the app and had my iPhone disconnect from the VS1 WiFi. I used voice commands to turn off and then back on the VS1 WiFi. I was able to connect from my iPhone and stay connected (watched a several minute live view screen in the app). I've tried leaving the VS1 WiFi on while I disconnected from the VS1 on my phone and then reconnected and then used the VIOFO app to look at settings and the live view screen. I'm not encountering any WiFi connectivity problems.

If the car supports the car play, it will force the dashcam wifi to disconnect.

See that i did not think about AT ALL, maybe CUZ i do not use such things.

The car does have carplay. I have tried turning bluetooth and wifi off on the head unit of the car to eliminate inteference but the problem still persists.

Back