Secondary Camera

So, a waterproof rear camera be a better solution when outside installation!

So, a waterproof rear camera be a better solution when outside installation!
I agree! The sooner we can get such an option for B4K, the easier I can recommend it to all the sedan car owners (nowdays the rear glass is very sloped, at night the glare is terrible so not much information can be recorded).

Does the rear camera use the same parking mode feature? Where if motion is detected/impact it will begin recording? Or is that secluded to the front camera only? Thanks!

I have received cylindrical rear camera and I have to say video quality is actually terrible. How is every else finding rear camera? 1080p looks work that 720p and at night its so grainy. way worse that Viofo dual camera setup. I think rear camera is not a starvis sensor.

Last edited:
it's not, was never promoted as being one either
ok yes , quality is terrible on rear camera, at night especially. I would be happy to pay to upgrade rear to starvis. No complaints with Front camera is great. Here is the morning front camera footage, I do need to get CPL filter.

Last edited:
It is a GC2053 sensor; We do not use this IMX307/IMX291 due to high cost;
it would be great to offer B1W as rear addon at same cost as B1W ,ie intergrate with b4k existing wiring.

not something you can just plugin like that
would it possible to wire b4k and b1w from same hard wiring kit? i presume it would drain battery quicker

would it possible to wiring b4k and b1w from same hard wiring kit?
no, they would always be two independent cameras with separate wiring and memory cards, nothing stopping you from using a B1W as a standalone rear camera though, others have used them like this before and been happy with the results

no, they would always be two independent cameras with separate wiring and memory cards, nothing stopping you from using a B1W as a standalone rear camera though, others have used them like this before and been happy with the results
good idea. i may hardwire b1w as rear camera with second hardwiring kit.

it would be great to offer B1W as rear addon at same cost as B1W
B1W about AU $80 dollars, I will look for a better rear camera for B4K if you can afford it lol...

Can the bitrate be improved on the rear camera>? It does seem rather low.

Phil

B1W about AU $80 dollars, I will look for a better rear camera for B4K if you can afford it lol...
yeah like b2k or another b4k lol i wonder how much parking mode hours it would give me then lol

Finally found time to remove the DDPai Mini 5 to make space to test the B4K (which had to be shipped twice, first time was lost in warehouse). It's sad I couldn't keep both on the car at the same time because they both use the IMX415 and would make for an interesting comparison. While the ciggie power supply had a nice L-angle connector, I was struggling a bit with the HWK. At the angle the cable is pressed against the windscreen, I hope the HWK won't break any time soon, or worse the micro USB tip breaks inside the camera body.

Also the HWK had a tiny recessed switch to select parking guard signal mode. The documentation is vague about this, and there's no indication which position was for what. So I struggled to figure out which position worked with the B4K for parking mode and which didn't. I _think_ I have it figured out (slide to left) - (looking at the HWK body with voltage selector on right, and parking signal mode switch to the left).

And then the rain came so I had to stop. Hopefully tomorrow I can lay the rear camera and drive around for some test footage and parking mode footage.

photo_2021-05-10_18-59-31.jpg

Last edited:
good idea. i may hardwire b1w as rear camera with second hardwiring kit.

While it's age is showing, IMHO the B1W is still one of the best choices for secondary cam use on the side or rear. Performance there is still good enough day and night, and the form-factor and compact mounting is as good as it gets with any non-remote cam. The only real issues in adding more cams like this is the extra power draw shortening parking recording time, and that now you have other cameras to watch over and maintain. The rear cam for the B4K isn't as good, but is probably adequate for most folks if you want something simpler and smaller.

Phil

Also the HWK had a tiny recessed switch to select parking guard signal mode. The documentation is value about this, and there's no indication which position was for what. So I struggled to figure out which position worked with the B4K for parking mode and which didn't. I _think_ I have it figured out (slide to left) - (looking at the HWK body with voltage selector on right, and parking signal mode switch to the left).
When I was reviewing the BlueSkySea B4K camera, I had to figure out why it would not go into parking mode. It turned out I was sent the incorrect hardwiring adapter. When I received the correct hardwiring adapter, it had this second switch with no documentation. I tested both positions left/right and found that the left position is the one that makes that power adapter compatible with the B4K parking mode requirements.

I discuss that topic in my video starting at the 5:59 time index:

Back