Seeking a travelog camera

Reaction score
Country
United States
A friend's can is going to be shipped coast-to-coast. I'd like to put a camera in it to take a travelog for his young son to enjoy in a few years. [His best friend is in charge of driving, you see....if the seat belt will fit.]

I seek a camera that can take say 1 frame/minute, or less, say frame/10 minutes, has some cutoff for those dark hours, and maybe has GPS tagging. I can provide external 12VDC.

Is there anything like this for $$ less than the car is worth?

The Mobius is almost what you want, it does have a timelapse mode, BUT lacks the GPS and the stop at night mode.

Mobius_001.jpg

Hmm, what format is the output? That's vital in the "how many shots in 32GB ergo how many hours?" question.

And who makes it i.e where do I find the Fine Manual?

Also looks like I'll need a mount.

Hmm, what format is the output? That's vital in the "how many shots in 32GB ergo how many hours?" question.

And who makes it i.e where do I find the Fine Manual?

Also looks like I'll need a mount.

The timelapse output will be in the form of JPEG Photos. I don't know the exact or average file size for each photo, but it would be under 500kB. That should hold around 64,000 photos or about 44 days worth of photos at one per minute.

Another source for the camera is: http://www.spytecinc.com/mobius-1080p-hd-action-camera.html#.UlNDT7xiGR9

This looks like a good bet from many angles but the big one: it lacks GPS. I'm debating if it's worth it to put an independent GPS in the car and parse its breadcrumb trail file for Time vs Location, then sync them. I'm holding off to see if anyone mentions alternative units that would have GPS.

In retrospect, I guess I can skip the night-shutdown; I'll have enough storage for day and night.

I don't think there is any <$100 camera out there at the moment that has the features and size of the Mobius with GPS.
You could look at the action cam market; something like the Garmin VIRB Elite, but of course it's in a totally different price range.

Interesting idea

I don't think there is any <$100 camera out there at the moment that has the features and size of the Mobius with GPS.

Thanks for all the input. The only alternative I saw mention of was the GS1000, and it's clear it's far older.
I'm going to look at the GPS issue for a while, and ponder....

Another option is a smartphone with time lapse app. An app like Lapse It for Android. Each photo will be stamped with time and GPS. Will the camera, whatever camera it is, be in the towing vehicle or in the cab of truck carrying the car? Is the friend/driver willing to download the pics at the end of every day?

If you have a separate GPS there are programs like http://www.robogeo.com/home/ that will match time stamps of photos and geolocation points and geostamp the photos in the EXIF header.

Not quite photos as the route was driven, but a GPS track and a Google Earth fly through video?

Anyways sounds like an interesting project for posterity.

Last edited:
This is a commercial carrier, and it will be inside the car itself.

Considered smartphones but don't have a spare & worried about storage space. There is that ACLU app for streaming images off the phone [designed for when the cops don't like being photographed & steal the camera] so it's not too hard to write...

I'm now looking at what is {not} bundled with the camera. Need suction cup mount, memory card, but have USB cables.....what GPS to send as well.

Ah commercial, so once loaded on the carrier, even if the friend is the driver, s/he won't have easy access to the car so it'll have to be set it and leave it. Lots of factors to consider. Unless the friend loading the carrier is accommodating, the car could end up on the lower level or somewhere other than at the front of the upper level. And given the varying angle of pitch of the deck, you won't know where to aim the camera. Right, so smartphone isn't practical.

Another option, though it requires a not insignificant outlay, is a Spot Messenger gps tracker for the unit and the tracking subscription. Generation III takes 5v USB power and the tracking can track indefinitely (previous versions only tracked for 24 hours then you had to turn tracking back on). This will give you a location every few minutes (user setable) but no pictures. I have a Spot II and it works great for location. Delorme makes a similar model that gives velocity but the subscription is more expensive. I've also tracked with a Garmin GPSMap76 or similar (seems the current model is up to "78" now. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/handhelds-wrist-worn/gpsmap-78s/prod63602.html Expensive to buy for this project, but an older one might be around. Takes 12v power and any memory card will be sufficient to track the route and it'll track indefinitely until the card is full. But still though, images would be neat to capture if it's possible. A handycam video set for time lapse?

For power, if you don't want to run GPS or dashcam off the car's battery, there these battery packs for USB power I've considered for running dash cams for long periods in parking mode to completely be isolated from the car battery. Largest is 20,000 mAh for about $100.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah I think the concept is good, I suspect it would catch a lot of dud pictures, bad aim, focus etc but still capturing enough to good ones to be worthwhile, first year free is a good tactic to try and build a revenue stream, I guess plenty would opt out after the first year but even 10% of users staying on afterward would be a nice earner I would think

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of factors to consider.

Yes indeed

Not friend, commercial hauler.

Yep. Power is not an issue. Have 75AH deep cycle battery going anyhow.

Can't control the rack loading issue but hope to reaim once in place on hauler.

Have a Garmin 76CS I may send along to snarf the lat/long timestamps.

[His best friend is in charge of driving, you see....if the seat belt will fit.]

Sorry, I missed the link for the picture of the "best friend" and assumed the reference to seat belt not fitting was an inside joke. I misread it and thought it was a human friend doing a favour taking the car cross country either by towing or hauling.

That's the same GPS I have, Garmin GPSMap 76CS, great all round device for car navigation, boating, hiking, and field work.

No kidding, that's a bear of a driver, don't want to mess with him on the road! That will be quite the sight going down the highway, lots of double takes.

Back