Senior citizen seeking advice on purchase

Found this one:

http://www.massiverc.com/Shop/en/136-mobius-1080p-hd-action-camera.html

It is made by Eletoponline & sold by Massive RC (one of the recommended sellers from this site).
They are out of Melbourne, Florida.

It is the Mobius with the standard lens. Version 3 with the 820mAh LiP0 battery.

They even convert their prices into Canadian dollars & it seems like I can get it for
about $100 & change Canadian, which is well below my initial budget.

My current thinking is that (perhaps) as a first time user, I should start at the lower end
of the price spectrum (this one fits that bill) & if it doesn't work out, then I don't have "excessive"
bucks invested or lost.

Will sleep on it & decide tomorrow.

Checked out the SGZC 12SG but didn't like the form factor or the Canadian price.
Will have a look at the mini0806 as suggusted...

Found this one:

http://www.massiverc.com/Shop/en/136-mobius-1080p-hd-action-camera.html

It is made by Eletoponline & sold by Massive RC (one of the recommended sellers from this site).
They are out of Melbourne, Florida.

It is the Mobius with the standard lens. Version 3 with the 820mAh LiP0 battery.

They even convert their prices into Canadian dollars & it seems like I can get it for
about $100 & change Canadian, which is well below my initial budget.

My current thinking is that (perhaps) as a first time user, I should start at the lower end
of the price spectrum (this one fits that bill) & if it doesn't work out, then I don't have "excessive"
bucks invested or lost.

Will sleep on it & decide tomorrow.

Checked out the SGZC 12SG but didn't like the form factor or the Canadian price.
Will have a look at the mini0806 as suggusted...

This is just camera.
You'll need 1) SD card, 2) mount, 3) hard wire cable (adapter to convert car's 12 VDC to 5 VDC, 1 amp or more) and other things that I cannot think of now. All are extras, not included.

Thanks for this, Bungus. Was aware of reality of need for accessories.
It does come with the mounting base, a USB cable, some velcro & a (probably useless)
screw driver to adjust the lens, which I don't envision doing.

I'm interested in trying to determine if the bicycle handlebar mount would clamp on to
the "arm" of the rear view mirror - seems like a better way to mount than the suction cup.

There seems to be a rubber sleeve inside the bike mount that would help to stabilize it on
the rear view mirror arm. Additionally, I "think" that mounting position would keep it more
directly behind the rear view mirror than the suction cup mount would.

If anyone has any thoughts on that possible mounting idea, I'd appreciate the input....

It does come with the mounting base, a USB cable, some velcro & a (probably useless)

I'm interested in trying to determine if the bicycle handlebar mount would clamp on to
the "arm" of the rear view mirror - seems like a better way to mount than the suction cup.

There seems to be a rubber sleeve inside the bike mount that would help to stabilize it on
the rear view mirror arm. Additionally, I "think" that mounting position would keep it more

If anyone has any thoughts on that possible mounting idea, I'd appreciate the input....

Mine's mounted as you said. On the rear view mirror stem. (Car's a '08 Corolla) with neodymium magnets on #498

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-25

the "arm" of the rear view mirror - seems like a better way to mount than the suction cup....
I used one of those when I had a G1w-H installed. Depending on the geometry of the mirror it works well. Did not work at all in my wife's '02 Honda Civic as the mirror arm was thinner than the clamp mechanism plus rubber sleeve could accommodate.

There are a lot of inexpensive mounts you can use with the mobius, since it will use a standard tripod threaded mount. 1/4x20 thread. Check ebay and amazon, and if you see something you like at one of the cam suppliers sites, the same thing or similar is probably available, elsewhere, cheaper. (sorry, guys) :)
I'd grab a suction cup mount somewhere to start with.

You need a tripod socket adapter and a suction cup with tripod screw to use it as dashcam.
Here's one example I'm using for SJ7000 and Git1:
dsc03001-sj7000-git1-jpg.17545

Or something like this with tape mount:
201508191419037139.jpg
1439936352764-P-2944803.jpg

Or with suction cup mount like this:
201508191415023246.jpg

Last edited:
I neglected to mention that I was hoping to get a dash cam that I could easily move from one vehicle to another as we have 2. Additionally, when we travel out of Province these days, we fly & rent a vehicle.

Do not do that. You will eventually forget to move it from one vehicle to another and that's when you'll get into a crash. Also fiddling around with it by installing and uninstalling it is a good way to screw it up eventually.

I would suggest buying 2 separate dash cams and keeping it permanently installed in the vehicle. Once its there, do not touch it. It should serve one purpose and one purpose only.

Also I prefer the "sticky tape" option to the suction cup. The reason is that the suction cup will fall off in the cold winters occasionally. And secondly, in a high speed crash, the suction cup will come flying off along with the camera - making the camera and the suction cup a flying missile. Thirdly, the camera will have less vibration with the sticky option. Finally with the stick tape option, you are less likely to be fiddling around with it (i.e. removing it or repositioning it) so it will be there when it counts.

After some research, I went with the Marcus 4. I like the orange button I can hit after a crash which will lock & save the file before it gets over-written.

Another one you might take a look at is the Ausdom a261

Its similar to the Marcus 4 but costs a lot less. However since its fairly new, nobody can verify if its reliable. You can buy it from gearbest dot com.

And secondly, in a high speed crash, the suction cup will come flying off along with the camera - making the camera and the suction cup a flying missile.
????
Have you actually used a dash cam with a suction cup mount?

:)

????
Have you actually used a dash cam with a suction cup mount?

:)

Yes... one that has fallen off with great regularity in the brutal winters we have here. It gets to be as cold as 40 below zero celcius.

The OP mentioned he wanted to be able to easily move the dashcam between vehicles, including rental cars. A suction cup mount is the easiest thing to use, or at least to have as a spare mount. (If the camera will accept one)
The stick on mounts are a good option, but it won't hurt for him to get the mobius in his hands, use it with a suction cup mount, then figure out if there is a better mounting solution.

The only camera I worried about attaching and detaching from the mount too often was the papago with the 'slot and lug' type mount. (Which is one reason I prefer the 1/4 x 20 tripod threaded cameras. I have 4 cameras in the truck right now that will use the same mount. I swap them out all the time.

oh I did not know he was talking about a rental car.
yea in that case forget the sticky mount.

Well, the dastardly deed is done and the order has been placed ! !

Want to thank you all for your kind assistance, information & direction,
without which I would not have made the selection that I have.

In my initial post, I had a short list of 3 & a quasi pre-determined budget.
Additionally, I thought that a "screen" was a "must have".

Fascinating what input & research will do to "first thoughts" & "impressions".
Not one of the original 3 is even on my radar screen anymore & the budget was in & out
the window a few times.

I finally settled on the Mobius - it is the one with the standard lens. Version 3 with the 820mAh LiP0 battery.

Part of my thinking was that, as a first time user, I should start at the lower end
of the price spectrum (this one fits that bill) & if it doesn't work out, then I don't have "excessive" bucks invested or lost.

I still plan to "experiment" with moving this camera around between 2 vehicles & hope to be able to use it in rental vehicles
when required. I think the type of mount will lend itself to that possibility.
In addition, given that this is an "action camera" as opposed to a dedicated dash cam, should lend it to being more "portable".

I will need additional "accessories" to facilitate the transition between vehicles.

I plan to hard wire it into the "primary" vehicle & use the USB (15' cable) & cigarette
lighter adapter in the second vehicle. The set up from the second vehicle would be used
in any rental vehicle - needless to say, with the suction cup mount.

Who knows, maybe by the end of my "experimenting" Mobius 2 may be on the market & peek my interest in acquiring a second unit !!
OR, another future model coming from a manufacturer on this site.........

Pending the arrival of the "goodies" I will continue my research into the TONS of
valuable information on this forum.

Thanks again guys = Roger

Well, the dastardly deed is done and the order has been placed ! !

Want to thank you all for your kind assistance, information & direction,
without which I would not have made the selection that I have.

In my initial post, I had a short list of 3 & a quasi pre-determined budget.
Additionally, I thought that a "screen" was a "must have".

Fascinating what input & research will do to "first thoughts" & "impressions".
Not one of the original 3 is even on my radar screen anymore & the budget was in & out
the window a few times.

I finally settled on the Mobius - it is the one with the standard lens. Version 3 with the 820mAh LiP0 battery.

Part of my thinking was that, as a first time user, I should start at the lower end
of the price spectrum (this one fits that bill) & if it doesn't work out, then I don't have "excessive" bucks invested or lost.

I still plan to "experiment" with moving this camera around between 2 vehicles & hope to be able to use it in rental vehicles
when required. I think the type of mount will lend itself to that possibility.
In addition, given that this is an "action camera" as opposed to a dedicated dash cam, should lend it to being more "portable".

I will need additional "accessories" to facilitate the transition between vehicles.

I plan to hard wire it into the "primary" vehicle & use the USB (15' cable) & cigarette
lighter adapter in the second vehicle. The set up from the second vehicle would be used
in any rental vehicle - needless to say, with the suction cup mount.

Who knows, maybe by the end of my "experimenting" Mobius 2 may be on the market & peek my interest in acquiring a second unit !!
OR, another future model coming from a manufacturer on this site.........

Pending the arrival of the "goodies" I will continue my research into the TONS of
valuable information on this forum.

Thanks again guys = Roger
Great choice with the Mobius. Enjoy

Every so oft I have to swap buses at work - every 6 weeks mine goes in for inspection, 2x a year it has MOT plus other work as required. I bought a load of the cycle helmet mounts
Hot-Sale-Black-Camera-Stand-Rope-Bike-Bicycle-Helmet-Mount-Holder-for-Mobius-ActionCam-16-Camera.jpg
Only a couple of quid each. Come in 4 parts, the straps (which I saved for future projects), the tripod mount, the mount holder and backplate.
The backplates I have stuck to the windscreen of various buses using the supplied sticky pads. These are stuck to the raised dot area alongside the mirror.
The Mobius sits in its cradle which is screwed onto the tripod mount & mount holder.
Swapping the cam between vehicles is as simple as sliding out of one backplate & into another.

Maybe stick the backplate on a rental using a reusable sticky pad? Heck, the Mobius is so lightweight, I've even used white tac or blu tac as a temporary solution (although there is other sicky stuff on the market).

Every so oft I have to swap buses at work - every 6 weeks mine goes in for inspection, 2x a year it has MOT plus other work as required. I bought a load of the cycle helmet mounts. Only a couple of quid each. Come in 4 parts, the straps (which I saved for future projects), the tripod mount, the mount holder and backplate.
The backplates I have stuck to the windscreen of various buses using the supplied sticky pads. These are stuck to the raised dot area alongside the mirror.
The Mobius sits in its cradle which is screwed onto the tripod mount & mount holder.
Swapping the cam between vehicles is as simple as sliding out of one backplate & into another.

Maybe stick the backplate on a rental using a reusable sticky pad? Heck, the Mobius is so lightweight, I've even used white tac or blu tac as a temporary solution (although there is other sicky stuff on the market).

I use those helmet mounts for the Mobius too. They're sturdy, inexpensive and stealthy. For me they've been just the ticket for my side facing cameras.

I use those helmet mounts for the Mobius too. They're sturdy, inexpensive and stealthy. For me they've been just the ticket for my side facing cameras.

I thought I read that they're difficult to tighten enough to prevent wobbly video clips. Perhaps I'm thinking of a different mount?

I thought I read that they're difficult to tighten enough to prevent wobbly video clips. Perhaps I'm thinking of a different mount?

I've not had any trouble of that sort. Originally purchased mine from Banggood. They do need to be tightened properly though.

... purchased mine from Banggood.

I ordered a spare Mobius cradle from Banggood on September 13. Then a sunvisor mount the next day. They both arrived today. 3 weeks from China* isn't bad.

I've just finished ordering this helmet mount today. It'll come in handy one day...

* correction - the packaging indicates they were sent from Malaysia.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What Should I Buy? 1