Mobius mounting solutions

My front facing Mobius was initially mounted to the roof lining by 3M tape...

View attachment 10817

But the angle of dangle wasn't right, so I switched to a mount with more articulation...

View attachment 10818

Recently I tried a magnetic mount...

View attachment 10819

Overall, I think the original mounting was the most discreet, so I've now reverted to it. To achieve a better angle of dangle, I cut the thin end of a wooden door wedge to fit the dimensions of the Mobius cradle. The wedge is affixed to the roof lining by 3M tape, as is the wedge to the cradle.

View attachment 10821

The result isn't the optimum for above/below the horizon, but I'm happy with it...

View attachment 10820

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 400
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 416
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 364
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 10817

But the angle of dangle wasn't right, so I switched to a mount with more articulation...

View attachment 10818

View attachment 10819

Overall, I think the original mounting was the most discreet, so I've now reverted to it. To achieve a better angle of dangle, I cut the thin end of a wooden door wedge to fit the dimensions of the Mobius cradle. The wedge is affixed to the roof lining by 3M tape, as is the wedge to the cradle.

View attachment 10821

The result isn't the optimum for above/below the horizon, but I'm happy with it...

View attachment 10820
Nice options, very innovative! I like attachment 10818 :)

I'm always looking around for different wedge shaped items to do similar installations. A local "Dollar Store" had a packet of little hard foam wedges that seemed perfect, but the angle was too extreme. Then I found some nylon wedges at a hardware store that are designed to prop up the corner of a furniture piece that has one leg a bit too short and rocks back and forth. These little wedges were almost the exact size of the Mobius....perfect! The problem was that the angle still wasn't quite right. This time the angle wasn't quite steep enough. The trick that worked was to use an extra layer of 3M tape along the back third of the wedge to achieve a just couple of extra degrees of "angle dangle" for the desired amount of horizon in the FOV.

mobiuswedge.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a photo of my latest, & probably final, mounting solution for my front facing Mobius.

image.jpg

It's only taken me 1 year 4 months to get it the way I really like it :)

I'll think about staining the wedge matt black.

Nice install! Very clean. It might be an interesting idea to paint the wedge light gray and match the headliner color rather than the camera. I wonder whether it might possibly look even more discreet than if stained black?

Here's a photo of my latest, & probably final, mounting solution for my front facing Mobius.

View attachment 10828

Can that mount be purchased separately?

I bought it from E-Prance over a year ago. Paid US $3.20 delivered (minimum order 2) = $6.40 total Weight 29 grams each. From China to UK took 13 days.

Here's my third mounting solution (this time it's magnetic) for my front facing Mobius B...

View attachment 9842

My previous mounts are shown at...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/#post-31371

I paid £6 for this magnetic mount at...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161372081762
It arrived in 2 days. I doubtless could have bought it cheaper from China, but I didn't want to wait weeks for delivery.

It's only been in place since Saturday, however, I'm happy with it so far. Could be a keeper.

View attachment 9843 View attachment 9844

I bought 2 of these and they work great! Too bad the glue on them are very bad.

Just watched the video $34.99 LOL

View attachment 10828

Pictures from outside and other angles inside, and the wedge alone?

This is something I have wanted to do with an action camera but I have always found GoPro too large.
Mobius did the trick. Here's my mounting solution:

mobius_small.jpg

I'm not sure of this, a magnet in close proximity to Möbius electronics. Anyone know if this arrangement can cause problems.

I was thinking the same thing.
Especially with the super high end ones
Some of the guys seam to be using on here.
But they have been running them for
A long time and so far I've not seen any
Complaints about them.
Me I use a glue gun. Supper sticky tape faild in the summer but hot glue is holding up just fine.

I'm not sure of this, a magnet in close proximity to Möbius electronics. Anyone know if this arrangement can cause problems.

Using it from day one (almost) with magnets, no problem, just don't glue the magnets directly to the housing, but on a tripod mount that holds the cradle.

Check here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/86634/

PS: the magnets are cheap slot car / scalextric rectangular magnets, strong, and by placing 2 side by side, it does hold better place than one single magnet that sizes up to 2 of the smaller ones.

Pictures from outside and other angles inside, and the wedge alone?

Here's one from the driver's perspective ... sort of ...

image.jpg

Took a couple from outside the car, but reflections in the windscreen make the Mobius invisible. Now that the the wedge is 3M taped to the rooflining & to the Mobius cradle, I cannot take a photo of it alone.

Just finished the install of four Mobius cameras, front and rear on my 2009 mk 5 jetta and the same configuration on the 2007 BMW 3 series touring (E91).

On the jetta I opted for the magnetic Scosche mounts, I think MrM suggested previously (thank you). On the BMW I used the Scosche mount on the front and a fixed mount (Liquid Image) on the rear tail gate. I used a fixed mount here as I felt with the tail gate opening and shutting it needed something more secure. On the BMW the front camera fitted neatly between the rear view mirror and the windshield, in the Jetta it had to sit on the top of the windscreen slightly to the left of the rear view mirror.

Jetta to the front:

image.jpg image.jpg

From the front the camera is quite discrete with the mount fixed to the black dots on the windshield.

In the rear of the Jetta the mount fixed neatly to the rubber shroud that covers the high level brake light.

image.jpg

BMW to the front:

image.jpg image.jpg

The Scosche mounts have white adhesive pads which are not particularly discrete if it is mounted to the windscreen. I've got some black adhesive tape on order so will probably change this.

BMW to the rear:

image.jpg image.jpg

The cable runs across the trim and then loops into the headliner.

Both cars have tinted rear windows (80%), the image quality with the Mobius set to low light is fine and the cameras are not visible from the outside.

I had two problems with wiring the cameras. I initially used dedicated 12v to 5v converters I found on eBay from China. These powered the cameras fine but the RF emitted by them interfered with the car radio. Graphite chokes, home made shielding made little difference. I ended up using Lindy data cables, hardwiring two additional auxiliary sockets (Maplins) and using Two Belkin micro 1A USB chargers in the Jetta. This worked a lot better but The Chargers still had to be sighted away from other cables to prevent interference with the radio.

On the BMW I used the same cables but powered them both from one dual port Belkin 2.1a USB charger plugged into an additional auxiliary socket hard wired to the fuse box. had a strange problem with the front camera failing to auto start on the odd occasion, and had the same problem when I swapped the cameras round, the blue led would come on, then off then nothing. What made this strange is that both units were being powered by the same dual port Belkin 2.1amp usb charger but when I powered the front camera with a separate usb charger connected to the cigarette lighter it worked fine. I ended up changing the set up to the same one I had in the Jetta (2x. Belkin 1amp USB chargers) and it now works fine. I think the issue was simply that some USB chargers aren't fully compatible with the Mobius resulting in the auto start being inconsistent)

Hopefully the images here and what i have learned from this will help others plan the mounting and install of their cameras.

Last edited:
This was my initial setup; the 3M tape that came with it was pure garbage so had it mounted with 3M outdoor mounting tape. It has Tamrac zipshot quick release mount. Recently I purchased the right angle adapter and using another metal mount that sit further back and below the RVM. No recent pic but used these with 3M tape. All metal construction which is nice (minus the knob that's plastic).

Yes there's nothing discreet about mine but I think it creeps people out whenever they're walking by it lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000IDCDZY
CIq5rVD.jpg

Back