Settings not saving after power off

Yes all settings, the two caps are blue and looked fine, no visible markings or out of shape.
I press REC button to stop recording, it makes a sound, then MENU, MIC to scroll down, red !, choose setting, red !, then MENU to exit the menu.
Yeah, that's correct.

You've had this camera since about when it first came out. Do you recall what firmware version it had when you got it? If it came with V1.1 or earlier, you needed to update the bootloader as well when updating the firmware. Did you ever do that?

I updated it about 3 months ago without the loader, when a friend got one I did mine and his. His is working with no problems, but his is a skytec I think.

You’ll need to install the new boot loader then. Unless you know what firmware version your camera came with, I would assume it was V1.1 or earlier. Reloading the same boot loader won’t hurt in any case. Your friends may have already had the new boot loader.

So install the boot loader, reset defaults in the menu, update to V3.3, then reset defaults again in the settings. Hopefully this will fix things for you.

WELL, after following your instructions above I have to say:

Guess who is a happy chappie....

It worked,

All setting are now there when it starts up, and have done power ups for over 6 times and they are still there each time.

I would like to thank "CaptureYourAction" for your time, patience and answers, also for putting up with all the question.

Also for the advice from all the other members that helped.

One BIG THANK YOU to you ALL.

maybe his camera was V1, who knows..

I just got mine 2 weeks ago, it is the V2 version and it came with 2.05 or 06 firmware, cant remember exactly... upgraded to 3.4 beta firmware and no settings reset after off and on again, pretty much just formatted the card on the pc, fat 32, camera plugged to the computer on mass storage mode, copied the bin file and then took it out and plugged to a usb charger on the wall, waited for like a min or so then it was working perfectly..

what is this boot loader thing we talking about here by the way? i read that also in the viofo firmware website but didnt really understand how to upgrade it, luckily i did not need to but for education purposes, can someone explain me how to upgrade the bootloader thing? (excuse my newbieness with this dashcam, just got it last week)

quote from the viofo firmware website.
Please do the following to upgrade the dash cam

If you camera firmware version is V1.1 or earlier, please upgrade the loader LDBA119.bin first.

If you have already installed the V2.0 firmware, no necessary to upgrade the loader, please ignore the #3--#6 steps.

From V1.4 firmware, the firmware will be automatically deleted from Micro SD card after upgrade completed.

1. Use max. 32GB card formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32
  2. Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable
  3. Copy just the LDBA119.bin on the root of the card
  4. After LDBA119.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer
  5. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu
  6. Delete LDBA119.bin from the card using your PC and
  7. Copy the FWBA119.bin file on the root of the card
Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front red LED will be blinking while upgrading.

Now you can disconnect the camera from PC and enjoy new A119 implementations.

what is this boot loader thing we talking about here by the way? i read that also in the viofo firmware website but didnt really understand how to upgrade it, luckily i did not need to but for education purposes, can someone explain me how to upgrade the bootloader thing?
If your original firmware version was prior to V2.0, you need to load the boot loader in order to properly upgrade to A119 firmware versions 2.0 and beyond. In your case where the camera came with V2.05 or V2.o6 firmware, you should not need to load the Boot Loader firmware. For folks that try to load V2.0 or later firmware on a camera whose original firmware version was prior to V2.0, without loading the boot loader first, the firmware doesn't load properly. One symptom is that some User input settings may not hold after a power down and revert to default.

BTW, best practice is to format your microSD card in the camera and manually default settings using the "Default setting" menu selection immediately after loading new firmware.

I had 3 A119 cameras doing this. One was brand new out of box. Thank you for this thread! Works!!

Back