SG9663DC beta firmware

Yes all the little branches, would be more easy for a camera it it just had to render a wall of green
Of course if the sun filter thru the bare trees and paint a lot of stripes on the road that do not help at all, all cameras i have had my hand on have coughed up blocking to some degree.
But ramping bitrate to 28 mbit at least on the A7 platform do wonder for this, and create helluva big files.
So i am looking forward to see better - larger storage means, and by then i would like to see larger bitrates too cuz this blocking do annoy me, and i have no problem imagining times where that would render a plate capture mute where it would have been nice to get one.

But so far i make do and wait for time to keep up to my dreams.

increasing bitrate is a law of diminishing returns, you get to a point where you start to get marginal improvements for a lot of negative aspects, heat, storage, reliability etc, with Ambarella you need about 25mbit to give the same results as Novatek does at 15mbit so on that platform it's even more difficult to deal with

Yes i saw that going as far as 40 mbit, really no gains at all up there .
same with the M2 on its higher settings, aside for file size hard to say what is what.

Here's some night video taken with Beta 1.20:

Sorry there's no traffic to speak of. This place is pretty dead at night. And during the day. Other than during those two times, it's hopping. But I guess rural footage is helpful, too. I'm not the only guy in the boonies with a dash cam.

There are some deer from about 9:12 - 9:17. They're on the left. They ran off into the woods instead of in front of me when they heard me coming. I think they're afraid of the sound the studded tires make because they always seem to run away from me when the car is wearing the studs. With the regular tires, it's anyone's guess which way they're going to run.

Richard

City folks dont know how dark it get out in the country, and how many more stars you can suddenly see.
My friend who just moved out of the city are very exited to have his telescope put up, remind me of when i was sailing, some nights mid ocean i would go get a pair of binoculars and then go up on top of the wheelhouse ( called monkey island ) and lie there on my back looking at the stars.

...some nights mid ocean i would go get a pair of binoculars and then go up on top of the wheelhouse ( called monkey island ) and lie there on my back looking at the stars.
I used to the the same thing. Saw more stars when at sea than I ever have anywhere on land.

I really hope the front camera bitrate will be increased even more, since I just used the DC in an area with a lot of vegetation and the result was bad.

There are other changes we need to make before we consider changing the bitrate, we are still fine tuning things

ok,
I hope this tuning is related to image quality.
Thanks

yes image quality adjustments are still to come, at the moment we have some bugs to fix which are always the first priority

Just as an aside...

I've commented on some other forums I belong to regarding your company's seriousness about updating the product and correcting bugs, your transparency about the updates, and your accessibility for support-related questions. Your product stewardship, in fact, was what tipped my purchase decision in favor of the SG9663DC over other cameras that made my "finalist" list after several months of research, even though it was also the most expensive of those cameras.

My basic requirements were that I wanted the best possible image quality in a dual-lens camera. I spent several months researching my decision and reviewing countless hours of videos on YouTube and Vimeo to narrow down my choices to a handful of cameras that met those two requirements. In the end, however, it was the prompt and candid responses to questions posed both on this forum (even before I was a member) and to questions and reviews posted on Amazon that made the difference.

Your company's frankness about the SGDCHW hardwire kit also impressed me as being indicative of commitments to both quality control and transparency that you don't come across too often these days. Because problems with that device could affect systems beyond the camera itself (such as the car's BCM and ECM), it's especially important to get it right before releasing it to market. It was refreshing to come across a manufacturer who seemed to understand that, and it made me feel more comfortable about installing your product in my vehicle.

Richard

No alzheimer’s there DT.......... August 2015 :eek:

No alzheimer’s there DT.......... August 2015 :eek:
Truth is it was that specific conversation here on DCT that was a major factor in my deciding to purchase V1 of the GC even before it was available - so, yeah, it's easy to remember that one. (y)

Here's some foul-weather video taken using Beta 1.20. The video is quite long, but I tried to catch as many different conditions as I could.

Richard

Last edited:
I'm still experiencing strong blooming even with the 1.20 beta firmware.
I hope it will be addressed, since with that blooming, many details are lost and licence plates unreadable.
Thanks

Back