SG9663DC with external waterproof rear cam.

The waterproof cameras are pretty new, so it is a virgin market so to say, but if the waterproofing is up to par i cant see why they should fail earlier.
My personal feeling towards the outside cameras is that frequent car wash could damage / scratch the lens and so the image quality, so it would have to be pretty bad if i was to resort to a outside mounted camera.
It is plenty just seeing my windscreen, and even rear window on a 2012 car, which look as if someone have been sandblasting near my car and shown very little care.
Street Guardian only sent me the front camera and 3-wire power supply. I cemented the hole that I had to drill in the rear bumper to feed the rear camera cable into the trunk. So the rear camera will never be replaced in this car. At least not by me.
I also pushed all cables feeding into the front camera under the rubber lip of the windshield glass and glued the rubber lip to the car's body. Unsealing the wires would damage both the rubber lip and the paint, so if I had to replace the three-wire power adaptor, I would be facing a choice of either disassembling the voltage regulator so that I could attach the new regulator to the old cable or routing the new power cable externally without hiding it. So the question whether I should replace the old unit with a new was strictly about the front camera since it is the only piece of the the system that I can easily swap.

The waterproof camera has been very reliable. It's a specialty product and we don't sell nearly as many as the regular internal SGR291 rear camera.
The only thing I've seen fail is the metal butterfly mount being bent over too hard breaking.
If you're looking good would prefer the new camera back but I'll leave it up to you if you think you really need the new one.
Just let us know with a note in the box or a follow-up email/PM.

Sound like a interesting setup, but what ever keep you in business and more cameras on the American roads, that judging from more and more frequent clips on youtube are just about as bad as the Russian roads.

Back in the day ( late 90ties ) i put a CB radio in my 4x4 EXT cab pickup, fortunately it had a grommet in the back wall to feed the antenna wire thru, and then it went up in between the top of the bed and the hard top cover i had on it, so no drastic work there, though i would of course have gone all the way if needed, CUZ half just dont cut it with me.

The waterproof camera has been very reliable. It's a specialty product and we don't sell nearly as many as the regular internal SGR291 rear camera.
The only thing I've seen fail is the metal butterfly mount being bent over too hard breaking.
If you're looking good would prefer the new camera back but I'll leave it up to you if you think you really need the new one.
Just let us know with a note in the box or a follow-up email/PM.
Everything that you sent me is still in the box. If the existing hardware doesn't fail within next couple of weeks, I'll just send the replacements back.

I haven't experiences any issues with my existing equipment since I pushed the side of the fuse connector all the way in. Street Guardian, I sent back the package with the replacement equipment on Saturday. Thank you for your assistance.

So during last couple of weeks my rear external cam was dying. Initially I would get only lower part of the frame recorded with red striped noise making up the upper. Then the main unit start to beep continuously and as feed from the rear cam has disappeared from the picture, after reformatting the memory card to no avail a few times, I took the unit home and looked over videos. At which point I saw the problem with rear cam videos, which at some point were not playable at all. I went back to the car and experimented with plugging and unplugging the rear cam. Every time I would plug it in, the unit would tell me that the memory card needs to be reformatted, but OK button to do that was not working. To use the unit I would have to unplug there rear cam. I went through the sequence several times. So now I am using the system without rear cam. There is one more thing to check to which I haven't gotten to yet. Rear cam has a short piece of cable welded to it. That piece of cable connects to a long cable which runs the length of the car and plugs into the head unit. It is possible the the connection between rear cam-attached cable and extension cable got disturbed and that is the cause of the problem. But given the exposure of external rear cam to all the road salt of North-East winters, I doubt that it is a cable junction. So I have a dilemma. To replace the rear cable with the same model, to replace it with internal model or drive without the rear cam. The problem with external cam is that because it was sitting on the level of the license plate, it was always blinded by the car behind it and I could never read the license plate on any of the cars at night. If I was to go for an internal cam, since I got a convertible, I would have to deal with a problem of how to set it up in a Mustang without ruining leather of my rear seat. I saw some solutions with would attach it to the rear of the driver seat head support, but as the seat itself might be moved, it is not a dependable way to level the camera.
And I always load the rear seat with my camping gear in the summer. An ideal solution would be some kind of a telescopic stick that I could connect to the floor in front of a back seat, so that I can lower it when that place has to be loaded with camping equipment. As I said, I a leery of having to drill the rear shelf above the the rear seat to install the cam and I cannot attach it to rear glass panel, because it is a convertible. Any thoughts?

Hard to say but if you don’t even want an external camera any more you could think about just attaching an internal rear camera to the right side of your mirror (on that mirror itself) pointing out the back. That what my friend with a Miata convertible does. I’ll ask him to take a photo and post what it looks like. It’s the DCpro+ updated shape.

That is one way to do it, and here in Denmark that mirror are actually not mandated that you have it, so i have often removed it when testing 2 in one systems, as i insist on placing cameras high on my windscreen, and with the mirror there the interior camera would just film the back of that mainly.

I dont know how much if at all you use your sun visors, personally i dont, so in theory i could do some kind of bracket off their mounting fixture or the flap itself if its not too flimsy.

Cool picture. There is quite less real estate on a Mustang rear view mirror, but maybe I can figure out a better way to attach it. Does that camera rotate up and down, what is the model number, what is its field of vision and how much does it cost? Thank you.

Yes the rear camera like on the mirror do have some up and down swivel movement, i can not recall how much, but its not a full circle, but probably pretty darn close to that.
The half of the camera body where the lens is what can be swiveled around ( up / down ) you can also mount it upside down and then in the settings in the system flip the footage so it is the right side up.

You could probably also 3D print a new mount, so you could mount off the back side of the mirror body and then have the camera peek around the side of the mirror.
So that would just be a flat surface to meet the mirror, and then a circular indentation on the other side where in the camera body + a piece of 3M dual sided tape would fit,,,, if you catch my drift / can do or have a buddy that dabble in 3D printing.
Also the foot on this mount, if in the case of the picture it could be moced 90 degree, then it look as if the camera could have been mounted above the mirror

I don't see it being sold separately either on the company website or on Amazon. What is the price of the rear cam?

I don't see it being sold separately either on the company website or on Amazon. What is the price of the rear cam?

It’s going to be the same price as the SGR291CAM
We’ll create a new listing soon now that we have spare new parts to create an updated rear camera bundle. Send us a pm or support email to make earlier arrangements.

Back