SG9663DC with external waterproof rear cam.

cameo

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems from the response that I got from Street Guardian in private email that an external waterproof camera is designed to work with non pro version of SG9663DC. Am I wrong? Does that it mean that it is designed to work with an older model that can not stream to the phone? I was under impression that the external rear cam unit uses an older Sony Starvis 323 sensor, but that the main unit for the combo is the same 2020 pro version version that is shipped with SG9663DC pro combo. Street Guardian USA, could you please fully describe and compare these two pairings? Thank you.

the camera is the same, will still be the pro version, there is a special firmware to support the external camera, Jon will provide all the info you need to set that up

SG9663DC and SG9663DCPRO main front Camera are physically 100% the same.

The only difference is firmware for rear camera sensor Compatibility

DC firmware works with IMX323 sensor based cameras such as the external waterproof camera.

DCPRO firmware works with IMX291 internal rear camera. (No waterproof 291 option at this time)

You can convert DC to DCPRo or DCPRo to DC using special instructions we provide or it’s done before new orders are shipped.

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear enough and you needed to make a public post. Happy to educate all though no problem.

IMX323 works great especially when the camera is external with no glass in the way.

What is the rationale for an external camera? Unless of course a quad channel camera is being developed where two cameras will be mounted under the mirrors to capture a 360 degree view of the vehicle.

We have convertible, tow truck, and other type of customers that use that external waterproof camera option.

I presume for a convertible, the only possible option is to run the camera through the trunk, and terminating out above the license plate. Similar to where a backup camera goes. A convertible doesn't yield many options, because choosing a mirror would mean losing 50% visibility with only one side being visible.

I can see trucks being an issue. Can't even fathom where you'd wire and mount a rear camera to on a semi.

I can see trucks being an issue. Can't even fathom where you'd wire and mount a rear camera to on a semi.
it's not something you'd use on a semi, for some vehicles an internal camera is not suitable, convertible, some vans etc, it's intended for that type of use, and yes like a backup camera

Reverse camera on the left, rear channel external camera on the right

rear cam mounted.jpg

I took discussion this from a private email to the forum, because I thought that it would help others. You guys are building a Rolls Royce. I respect somebody who sets the bar in excellence. Yet, I couldn't find exhaustive information for this offering. I know, that with a convertible, I need this configuration or I'd have to figure out the optics of a rear cam mounted on an arm attached to the rear seat back, bent above forward towards the front of car so that the camera can sit at a certain height which would give it the best few through the window.. I'd have to figure out the height, the angle, the optical outcome of a camera being mounted a foot and a half from a glass which wouldn't be tended by a rear wiper, which is the case with Mustang convertible. I replaced capacitors in my home sub-woofer, but I really don't want to be getting that familiar with dash cams. I want to make sure that if somebody makes a false claim against me, I'll be able to send that creature to legal Hell, and not the other way. Reliability with minimum need to tend to detail. Thank you.

(No waterproof 291 option at this time)

Just curious as to why, perhaps the IMX291 runs warmer and would overheat in a sealed case? Do you see this as a future possibility, or it it more likely that we'll get a new round of sensors before this can happen? The IMX323 should certainly do this job well. It may not be top-level as sensors go these days, but it's been a world-changer in it's low-light capabilities and I'm still impressed with it.

Phil

Just curious as to why, perhaps the IMX291 runs warmer and would overheat in a sealed case? Do you see this as a future possibility, or it it more likely that we'll get a new round of sensors before this can happen? The IMX323 should certainly do this job well. It may not be top-level as sensors go these days, but it's been a world-changer in it's low-light capabilities and I'm still impressed with it.

Phil
overheating is not an issue, physical size of PCB needed was one issue, there are some other issues but an upgraded external camera will be an option further down the track, the reality is for the purpose the IMX323 delivers the right result as it's not inhibited by windows, tint etc

it's not something you'd use on a semi, for some vehicles an internal camera is not suitable, convertible, some vans etc, it's intended for that type of use, and yes like a backup camera

View attachment 51686
No question as to who drives the vehicle that plate is mounted on. (y) ;)

No question as to who drives the vehicle that plate is mounted on. (y) ;)
didnt even notice that. comes out to a 2015 white suzuki jt station wagon

Real men drive Suzuki :cool:

My dream car,,,,,, wits some extra parts on it,,,,,, Aussie parts of course.
9tkxwu9c90o41.jpg

Look like a perfect vehicle for a 6 month driveabout in Australia.

Real men drive Suzuki :cool:

My dream car,,,,,, wits some extra parts on it,,,,,, Aussie parts of course.
9tkxwu9c90o41.jpg

Look like a perfect vehicle for a 6 month driveabout in Australia.
Real AUSSIE men drive HSV's :cool:

My dream car,,,,,,,,,, Aussie parts and made of course.
2017-HSV-Gen-F2-GTSR.jpg
hope to have one by years end.

That would be nice too, i would probably get one or two for track days.
But day 2 day i am too old to get "down" into a car, the 4 x 4 my old wrinkly ass slide right into with no effort.

My dream car,,,,,,,,,, Aussie parts and made of course.
2017-HSV-Gen-F2-GTSR.jpg

hope to have one by years end.
I had a highly modified 2004 GTO (including Hendricks Motorsports 408 Stroker engine). Is that close? ;)

View attachment 51686

Since a hole has to be drilled for the external camera and the wire fed into the car, what do you use to seal the hole?

I would use one of those wirewall rubber grommets, and before that i would paint the edges of the hole with a primer.

You don't have to drill a hole in the car's fender in order to feed the wire for the rear camera. People have cut a tiny hole a licence plate light cover, which requires is less damage. In a Mustang, I won't even have the option of mounting the rear cam in the top center of the licence plate because the button to pop up the trunk is located in that location. So far, without having held the actual rear cam in my hand I am thinking of having it sit partly to the left of the right of the center, perhaps covering of of those lights.

Last edited:
A little offset should not matter much wit the wide angles of dashcams.
Sure if you are making cinematic footage you have to watch for a long time a offset would be annoying i reckon, but for a accident camera it should not matter.
And still we all hope that the money we spend on a dashcam are wasted and the camera will never be used "in anger"

Back