SG9663DC with external waterproof rear cam.

The sharpness of these pictures is amazing for a 3 year old product!
keep in mind there's a difference between a three year old product, and a product that has had three years of development, your firmware is version 1.49, we started at version 1, that's 49 updates over the past few years

keep in mind there's a difference between a three year old product, and a product that has had three years of development, your firmware is version 1.49, we started at version 1, that's 49 updates over the past few years
Yep, I was just looking at the fuzzy search feature of your Dashcam viewer. As a hands-on software architect with over 30 years of experience I have appreciation for the amount of work that you had put in. (y)

Yep, I was just looking at the fuzzy search feature of your Dashcam viewer. As a hands-on software architect with over 30 years of experience I have appreciation for the amount of work that you had put in. (y)
we can't take credit for that, we just license Dashcam Viewer for our customers, saves you the $25 license fee for the software

...as it is the lighting conditions, late afternoon sun is low in the sky and hitting a reflective license plate, you'd see the same result from the front camera at times under the same lighting situation
It's probably worth mentioning that the same 'wash out' effect can, and will, occur with the front camera at night when the vehicle headlights shine on the plate of the car in front.

In any case with any camera, you are always best off seeing the plate yourself and call it out for the MIC to capture.
This is true not least in low light situations where any camera will struggle with small details, at least at speeds faster than crawling or moon-walking.

Deacon, my Mustang was produced in 2017. Now this just happens the be best-selling sports car all over the world.
The Mustang is rare outside the US. Model year 2017 global production numbers of all versions of the Mustang totaled about 120k, 2/3 of which were sold in the US. These numbers pale in comparison to popular cars and trucks. In the US alone Ford sold about 900k F-series pickups that same year. The Mustang didn’t even make the top 20 cars sold in the US.

How many of those Mustangs that were sold have aftermarket hardwired dash cam installations using that fuse panel? 0.1%? So, like, 80? You act like every dashcam manufacturer should be up on the quirks of problematic corner cases like your car and have a way to deal with it and warn you about it when you can’t figure out your own DIY. It’s amazing that they’ve supported you this in-depth to begin with.

I found a 2016 Mustang here ( 5 L GT convertible / 17.3K miles on the clock ), and it carry the price tag of 89.921,06 USD

So :rolleyes: Denmark is not the place to buy a cheap mustang,,,,,,, or any other car for that matter, but then again due to the high taxes on cars and gasoline the Danish roads are so much better than elsewhere,,,,,,,, O wait :sneaky:

Last edited:
The Mustang is rare outside the US. Model year 2017 global production numbers of all versions of the Mustang totaled about 120k, 2/3 of which were sold in the US. These numbers pale in comparison to popular cars and trucks. In the US alone Ford sold about 900k F-series pickups that same year. The Mustang didn’t even make the top 20 cars sold in the US.

How many of those Mustangs that were sold have aftermarket hardwired dash cam installations using that fuse panel? 0.1%? So, like, 80? You act like every dashcam manufacturer should be up on the quirks of problematic corner cases like your car and have a way to deal with it and warn you about it when you can’t figure out your own DIY. It’s amazing that they’ve supported you this in-depth to begin with.
First of all, I don't have an issue with Street Guardian and I do appreciate the quality of their support.
To that point, if Street Guardian WASN'T KNOWN for their in-depth support I would have certainly bought Viofo 129 Pro. Period. Though Viofo doesn't offer external rear cam, buying or building a mount to hold an internal one in the middle of back seat back would have been easier then drilling two holes in the bumper and fishing the wire through them. Speaking of DIY... certainly there are plenty of enthusiasts in US, but this is not a dominant national trait...
There is nothing amazing about Street Guardian choosing a business policy of providing outstanding customer support - it is a prudent business strategy. And I happened to have a lot of respect for it.

But did you the diagram that I drew? I do not believe that this particular blade incompatibility has anything to do with Mustangs or any other Fords. That blade is not compliant with Micro2 fuse format. I don't think that it wouldn't fit into any proper Micro2 socket. There are tons of these connectors being mass-produced by different manufacturers. One of them screwed up. The Street Guardian included a second set of larger blades, which have exactly the same profile. It would be interesting to see if those fit into a socket of the relevant format. And if they do, to see if they mach the fuse shape.
I didn't choose my words properly when I said that the company should not be selling the hardwire kit. I meant to say that they should not be selling blade connector from a new supplied without testing it.
Enough said.

I didn't choose my words properly when I said that the company should not be selling the hardwire kit. I meant to say that they should not be selling blade connector from a new supplied without testing it.
unfortunately it's impossible to test on every type of vehicle, the majority of vehicles are no issue for any of the taps, we've been using them for the last few years, in around 20,000 taps shipped I could count on one hand the number of times a problem with the fit has come up, it's known that taps can't work for every situation, most often due to panel layout, the fuse cover etc, that said I have passed the photos onto the supplier to see if they can revise the design to accommodate these Ford fuse panels, they would never fix what they don't know about so the detailed photos of the F150 fuse panel were useful for that

I found a 2016 Mustang here ( 5 L GT convertible / 17.3K miles on the clock ), and it carry the price tag of 89.921,06 USD

This is nuts. One could buy a decent Porshe at that price. I actually always wanted a Nissan 370, I absolutely adore how it looks and it's a great driver's car.
But I go car-camping a lot and among sports convertibles Mustang was a fair compromise between looks, performance, trunk/rear seat equipment-carrying capacity and cost.

unfortunately it's impossible to test on every type of vehicle, the majority of vehicles are no issue for any of the taps, we've been using them for the last few years, in around 20,000 taps shipped I could count on one hand the number of times a problem with the fit has come up, it's known that taps can't work for every situation, most often due to panel layout, the fuse cover etc, that said I have passed the photos onto the supplier to see if they can revise the design to accommodate these Ford fuse panels, they would never fix what they don't know about so the detailed photos of the F150 fuse panel were useful for that
It's behind, I am happy that door is closed and I can focus on other things. :) I appreciate your attention to quality and detail. (y)

I have another question. So currently I have recording time cut-off set for 3 hours. I drove to a store today and I was inside for less than an hour. When I came back, the recording button wasn't flashing. Is it how it's supposed to be? I fancied that outside of a car detecting a shock, the recording button will flash until either recording time cut-off or set voltage cut-off limit. Where am I falling into a fallacy?

In any case with any camera, you are always best off seeing the plate yourself and call it out for the MIC to capture.
This is true not least in low light situations where any camera will struggle with small details, at least at speeds faster than crawling or moon-walking.

kamkar1, what do you mean by it?

I have another question. So currently I have recording time cut-off set for 3 hours. I drove to a store today and I was inside for less than an hour. When I came back, the recording button wasn't flashing. Is it how it's supposed to be? I fancied that outside of a car detecting a shock, the recording button will flash until either recording time cut-off or set voltage cut-off limit. Where am I falling into a fallacy?
if it cuts off early that can be to low voltage, what setting are you using?

if you find it cuts off at the same time each time, eg always turns off at 30 mins, or 1 hour or whatever, that can be caused by being connected to a circuit that is controlled by the ECU

I found the kit
if it cuts off early that can be to low voltage, what setting are you using?

if you find it cuts off at the same time each time, eg always turns off at 30 mins, or 1 hour or whatever, that can be caused by being connected to a circuit that is controlled by the ECU
I took the unit home on Sunday night to get the videos without losing the card, so today was the first time that I reattached it. I set the voltage in a second position from the right. I'll recheck it tomorrow.
By the way (I am not trying to rub it in) I think I found a complaint Micro2 blade connector. Hover your mouse over the image to get it magnified - there are no tabs! :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201207614031

micro2.jpg

Last edited:
kamkar1, what do you mean by it?

Say the plate number aloud so the audio recorder captures it. You'll probably get into the habit of doing this automatically on seeing a car which raises your suspicions of them becoming a problem for you.

Phil

I think I found acomplaint Micro2 blade connector. Hover your mouth over the image to get it magnified - there are no tabs! :)
if you do find one that fits your fuse panel ok please let me know so I can give the feedback to the supplier

if you do find one that fits your fuse panel ok please let me know so I can give the feedback to the supplier
But I already shaved the tabs of mine and fitted them. I new about this incompatibility from a Mustang forum thread before I bought the SG9663DC from you and that's where I found the link to this connector. Here is the thread where they are discussing generic vs true Micro2 blade connectors:

So here are my impressions after 14 months with the product. First the good part. It did help me once when a girl hit my car mirror while I was parked in a car.
The not so good part is that the rear unit when mounted at license plate level is useless at night as it is blinded by the light of a car behind you. There is probably no way to fix it aside from mounting it at higher position.
Now, the crucial stuff.
I find the product highly unreliable. Frequently it doesn't turn on when I start the car. It might turn on some time later making this whooshy sound. It might restart several times as I am driving.
Sometimes the unit goes into what I came to call a zombie mode. In that case I can't access its menu. The rec button is not flushing. Pressing and holding it for several seconds makes it flush once. Pulling out power cables typically doesn't make it restart. Sometime if I shut down the engine and wait for some time so that the car computer shuts down running electric power, the unit might turn on after the car is restarted. Initially I suspected that some of this behavior was with due to the power adapter, whose hook-up wire tabs I had to shave to make them fit Mustang fuse sockets, but adaptor's red pilot light is always on in those cases.
At other times when I start the car, the unit doesn't go through the normal booting process. No booting logo is displayed and no booting sound can be heard. But the rec button is flushing as if the unit was recording. However, I cannot access the menu.
Both of these behaviors used to happen intermittently, but frequently enough to make me feel like I am not going to be covered if somebody hits me. Some time last week I reformatted the card and then a few days later the unit stopped working at all.
I hope that Street Guardian support will be reading this message. My firmware is SG20191022_V1.49

Last edited:
I am sure @Street Guardian USA will be here soon, the SG boss cant as he still seem to be out after his surgery.

Have you tried to run the camera without the rear camera plugged in ? As i recall a flaky connection to a rear camera can introduce erratic behavior, other than that it is also often found to be related to power and finally the memory card can also cause this, and sadly those little buggers can go sour surprising fast, though it is not often that happen.

You should not have let this run as long as it seem you have ( unaware if you sought support before ) the brand are usually all over these cases.

The way it was described with lockups frozen behavior it sounds like a bad connection to the rear camera or faulty memory card. Did you add the included long black shielded sticker wraps around the connectors to the rear camera in the back? (shields against EMI) Test with the rear camera cable left unplugged for a while and see what the results are in single-channel mode. Test with another memory card as another confirmation test. If you're using the 3-wire hardwire kit, it could be sub-optimal fuse slots were chosen for ACC/BAT wires. CANbus causes havoc like that if wrong ones were used. If you have 3-wire SGDCHW hooked up let us know your year make model vehicle, and we can run it by our global installer for advice. Also confirm you are connected to a factory ground point. Start with all this and we can go from there.

Back