SG9663DR update

Hey everyone here is a photo of the DR right next to the DC pro for reference. The short end of the mount is on top here.

7fcb2cf7ab06f7b67d9e9adc51b373f7.jpg

2b85102db4ae1a4655be8085e9094d28.jpg

8995cd5754ae34ad2a6050c5f3ad9936.jpg

aacf2939f3cd43c21bf8aca0ce0f3590.jpg

e17224344b8d694a37c8d3c2db78e023.jpg

Last edited:
Well i dont mind admitting the camera units was bit of a surprise for me too, but it is not a deal breaker in any way for me.
The K2S camera units was also a surprise for me, cuz when i saw them i was like daaaamn :eek: they are small, and i dont mind admitting i was hoping it was a sign of things to come.
But there is most often a reason for everything, so stiff upper lip and carry on.

The K2S camera units are actually so small i have a hard time seeing how you can put a CPL filter on them, and that's also a tough call when you like me are fan of CPL filters.

Again, what's your point? It's basically a tube style dash cam.

The real question is why does a remote lens module need to be so big when other remote cam modules we've seen are much smaller and more compact, as @SawMaster pointed out. Personally, I was expecting something more along the lines of the SG9663DCPRO rear cam where you don't end up with a huge mounting plate stuck to the glass next to the camera rather than the mounting plate integrated as part of the module itself and therefore hidden.

dc.jpg

@niko hit me up with some reseller pricing, have a long list of people chomping at the bit to get hold of this.

Will be able to calculate the final price after customs clearance.

@niko the Rhundo splitter you sent me back in the day is starting to "fail"
Function wise it is still okay, but the blue light in one of the buttons have died, and it did the same on the USB button though it changed its mind and started to work again.
Funny thing the channel button that had the light fail is #1, but so far i have only used the # 2 and 3 channels in it.

Just a FYI :)

The real question is why does a remote lens module need to be so big when other remote cam modules we've seen are much smaller and more compact, as @SawMaster pointed out. Personally, I was expecting something more along the lines of the SG9663DCPRO rear cam where you don't end up with a huge mounting plate stuck to the glass next to the camera rather than the mounting plate integrated as part of the module itself and therefore hidden.

I have to agree, I am somewhat disappointed the camera mounts are so big when the main reason I wanted a dual remote was to make them as inconspicuous as possible.

How much free air is in that unit? It has to be quite a lot. Why do I feel a disassembly and 3d-printed replacement is coming :D

Oh, forgot, the DC doesn't support the 2 wire Parking Mode. So either way if I go SG, will have to do away with using the VPP, which was the reason I mostly held out a few months back. Partly because I also wanted to see what the DR brought to the table.

I have to agree, I am somewhat disappointed the camera mounts are so big when the main reason I wanted a dual remote was to make them as inconspicuous as possible.

How much free air is in that unit? It has to be quite a lot. Why do I feel a disassembly and 3d-printed replacement is coming :D

I suspect that the large size of the unit has something to do with heat sinking and ventilation but obviously @jokiin can talk about that. But yes, I agree that an important aspect of a camera like this would be to be as inconspicuous as possible.

there's a reason behind every decision made, others may be smaller or different shapes or whatever but they too have their own limitations as a result of those choices, you can't be all things to all people unfortunately, if it doesn't suit what you need that's fine, we don't expect we can meet the needs of everyone

It would be interesting to know the reasoning- could it be that this has active cooling? Seems like there's just enough room for a 25mm fan in there. Someone will do a teardown on one of these soon enough- always happens- so that answer will be forthcoming sooner or later.

Phil

It would be interesting to know the reasoning- could it be that this has active cooling? Seems like there's just enough room for a 25mm fan in there. Someone will do a teardown on one of these soon enough- always happens- so that answer will be forthcoming sooner or later.

Phil
must look bigger in photos as there's no chance a fan could fit inside, let alone a 25mm one

I have been as hyped as anyone, and probably also had a range of dreams and hopes for what the DR would turn out to be.
But i also have a life long experience dealing with my expectations, and most often they are at a whole other level, so now i dont even get disappointed when my expectations are not met.
On the other hand when my expectations come true, by shear luck or by the deeds of other people, then i can get quite emotional which in its own are a rather new feeling for me to deal with at least when it is positive emotional, the negative variant i have a long and firm grasp on.

Someone asked for the size of the " foot" if Jon have the same thumb nail size as i have, it cant be more than 3 - 4 Sq CM or so, i assume at least half of the size of the sticky pad for the current main units, probably even as small as the sticky pad for the current remote cameras, and those are about 46 x 21 mm.
Sadly i dont have any sticky pads for the K2S cameras to compare with, but from memory i think those are 30 x 12 mm, so indeed smaller.

To me it actually also look as if the "foot" for the new cameras are plenty large to carry the weight i assume the camera have, and what ever little torsional stress the USB wire might have on the camera depending on how it is installed.
TBH yesterday i noticed one of my K2S cameras was half way loose on the glass, due to its fixed wire and the way i have the wire routed from the camera, so one could maybe argue the K2S have too small mounts, at least if you like me go very creative with the install.
But if the wire come off the K2S camera it is probably fine, but it do come strait off the end of the camera, and it is not super rigid.

I have this pic of the K2S beside the DC rear camera, maybe we could get a pic of the new cameras VS the same old rear camera housing.
img_20190126_141410-jpg.44306

As this pic of the K2S units also prove i think if you assume the shape around the lens are about the same size, then on the K2S i see no way to install a CPL filter unless it is on a sloped windscreen, on my side glass or rear glass that are almost vertical and flat, a CPL filter would have to be perfectly flat too otherwise there is no room for it when the camera are angled horizontal on a flat side or rear glass.
camdii-camdii-k2s-2ch-dual-wifi-gps-dashcam.jpg

I dont think there even is a CPL filter option for the K2S cameras, they are simply too small for that.

I am going to chillax until i have the camera or see more tangible photos from other hands, And then deal with what it is.

Oh well. Got to wonder if doing one like that would allow for parking recording in the heat? There'd be more current draw. Hmmm, I've got to think more on that ;)

This will fit the front of my old bus well enough as-is when mounted as intended, but I prefer to mount away from the windshield to gain some shade from the roof. To do that I'd have to "McGyver" some kind of spacer bracket to get in range of the wipers. And in back that's a given with any cam. Typically non-typical if I'm involved but I like challenges :cool:

@kamkar1 My front K2S isn't sticking well due to the curved surface it's on. The pad held to the trim but keeps coming loose from the cam since there's only about 1/3 of it touching. Going to screw the little buggers in when I move them to the rear sides as access will be a PITA afterwards.

Phil

At that price you have to pay extra for a 12V cigarette lighter adapter? Unbelievable! :eek:
This is meant to be hardwired so no need to include extra hardware that is not needed and the hard wiring includes the parking hard wire module, that is extra on the other cams. One can wait (another year) for a price drop or sale but don't expect any newly released product from anyone to be discounted.
I will toss in a cigarette charger free for any early DR USA customers that ask for one. it’s not a problem we have a few spares here currently but again you probably only would use one for testing purposes and early trial runs.
Here ya' go...Our USA supplier stepping up to the plate. The customer treatment from them is the best in class.

To bad for all the comments from disappointed folks about the size of the cameras. As I wrote in a previous comment here, can't satisfy everyone's needs.
Thank you Jon @ Street Guardian USA I got the tracking # for my order for the SG-DR. As stated, great merchant and customer contact with him. Ordered this Fri. night and he sent it out Sat. Morning.

This is meant to be hardwired so no need to include extra hardware that is not needed and the hard wiring includes the parking hard wire module, that is extra on the other cams.
including a cig charger would just add cost for people that don't need it, no point

how about an option with purchase, hardwire or ciggy lighter?
reality is it's really designed for permanent install, there's too many cables for a cig charger to be a viable option, if people don't want to use parking mode that's fine, can just turn it off in the menu, if cig lighter install was a priority then it's not the right solution for the user

Back