SG9663DR update

including a cig charger would just add cost for people that don't need it, no point

Well, Ric, it adds to the cost to the buyers who do need or want it and otherwise have never ever before been required to pay extra for a 12V cigar lighter adapter as "people" who have been buying dash cams for years, including those that offer a choice of hard wiring or 12V plug-on options.

Jeez, this is one hell of an expensive dash cam and you can't include a frikkin" 12V plug-in adapter?".

It’s a bit late for that now anyway. mass production is done and USA office will have loads of these in stock in a few weeks.

USA Offer still stands as I said a few posts pack, I will toss in a cigarette charger free for any early DR USA customers that asks for one. (Direct orders)

it adds to the cost to the buyers who do need or want it and otherwise have never ever before been required to pay extra for a 12V cigar lighter adapter as "people" who have been buying dash cams for years, including those that offer a choice of hard wiring or 12V plug-on options.
on the other models they pay extra to get the hardwire, this one it's included, we don't include two power supplies on any other model and it's primarily a hardwire type device anyway, it's not just the cost of the cig charger, it wouldn't fit in the box so then the box has to be bigger, freight costs increase, it may seem like small stuff but it all adds up and for something which is not actually needed by the majority would just be a waste, it's not intended to be powered by a cig charger anyway, it removes part of the functionality of the product to do that and not something I would encourage people doing

well we will see, i will make sure to do a compare picture beside my K2S cameras that are as small as they get.
For some people it will be fine ( not overly concerned about stealth ) while i also think a lot on stealth in a new system, then i think the new DR cameras will fit just fine where my K2S cameras are now.
And that bring me to the #2 issue of side cameras, a way / place to put them where they will not get bumped or fiddled with by passengers / kids.

I have actually already contemplated tinting the little fixed glass in my rear door's where my side cameras are, cuz even the micro K2S cameras are still right there "in your face"
But i figure a slight tint will be helpful.

jokiin or Street Guardian USA

I see there is an update to the site for the information/description on the products page, Maybe about the dumbest question here... (1) Does it have WIFI? From the description(s) it does not list WIFI at all/anyplace. I would have to think yes as the only suggestion of WIFI is "street Guardian Dashcam Viewer Mobile App compatible" is listed in the description. (2) If yes how do you turn on/off WIFI, hopefully without needing to go into the settings. DC is with the power button, (3) where is the power button on the DR? (4) Also I would assume that Street Guardian Dashcam Viewer Win64 will work? and is free to download?

Also read that you are not ready to put out the instructions and only have included the quick start info. Humm, even with anticipated changes/updates to software maybe put in "Product Manuals" the DR what it is now. That might answer questions and we will not need to ask.

Capture.JPG

on the other models they pay extra to get the hardwire, this one it's included, we don't include two power supplies on any other model and it's primarily a hardwire type device anyway, it's not just the cost of the cig charger, it wouldn't fit in the box so then the box has to be bigger, freight costs increase, it may seem like small stuff but it all adds up and for something which is not actually needed by the majority would just be a waste, it's not intended to be powered by a cig charger anyway, it removes part of the functionality of the product to do that and not something I would encourage people doing

FWIW, I've owned a couple of dash cams that came with both a cig adapter and a hardwire kit.

I'm curious to know how you conclude that the ability to plug the camera into a 12V power source is "something which is not actually needed by the majority". Then again, it is up to you if you want to market a camera that immediately eliminates quite a large swath of potential buyers who, for various reasons would prefer or require that method. As one example, I just had a lot of work done on my truck and made a point (as I always do) of unplugging all my cameras when I dropped the vehicle off at the garage. I trust my mechanics and want to make it clear to the guys at the shop that I have no interest in spying on them as they do their work. This particular time it led to a conversation about dash cams with one of the guys who shared some of his odd and occasionally unpleasant experiences with customer dash cams. He thanked me for the courtesy of unplugging the cameras.

It won't fit in the box? Now there's a rationalization worth framing! :LOL:

jokiin or Street Guardian USA

I see there is an update to the site for the information/description on the products page, Maybe about the dumbest question here... (1) Does it have WIFI? From the description(s) it does not list WIFI at all/anyplace. I would have to think yes as the only suggestion of WIFI is "street Guardian Dashcam Viewer Mobile App compatible" is listed in the description. (2) If yes how do you turn on/off WIFI, hopefully without needing to go into the settings. DC is with the power button, (3) where is the power button on the DR? (4) Also I would assume that Street Guardian Dashcam Viewer Win64 will work? and is free to download?

Also read that you are not ready to put out the instructions and only have included the quick start info. Humm, even with anticipated changes/updates to software maybe put in "Product Manuals" the DR what it is now. That might answer questions and we will not need to ask.

View attachment 52248

Yes it has WiFi use the same Street Guardian app found in iOS Apple App Store and Googe Play Store. There is a pending update to add a few new menu options unique to the DR. (Invert image etc)

To turn on WiFi long press and hold the event save button on the main DVR body or via remote cable event save button. (FYI The microphone is built into event save button at the end of the long cord as well when you consider where to place it)

Default Password is 12345678

3f028874962834fd5472d0d7bccc6dfb.jpg

4b7a956db12bbd2a142884924970cf87.jpg

And Yes Street Guardian DashCam Viewer (MAC/Windows App) is compatible for dual channel direct card playback and to show google maps location etc.

Long press and hold the OK button if you need to manually power down the DR for some special reason

Last edited:
FWIW, I've owned a couple of dash cams that came with both a cig adapter and a hardwire kit.

I'm curious to know how you conclude that the ability to plug the camera into a 12V power source is "something which is not actually needed by the majority". Then again, it is up to you if you want to market a camera that immediately eliminates quite a large swath of potential buyers who, for various reasons would prefer or require that method. As one example, I just had a lot of work done on my truck and made a point (as I always do) of unplugging all my cameras when I dropped the vehicle off at the garage. I trust my mechanics and want to make it clear to the guys at the shop that I have no interest in spying on them as they do their work. This particular time it led to a conversation about dash cams with one of the guys who shared some of his odd and occasionally unpleasant experiences with customer dash cams. He thanked me for the courtesy of unplugging the cameras.

It won't fit in the box? Now there's a rationalization worth framing! :LOL:

FWIW, apparently SG cams have never come with two power sources in the box before, so I’m unsure why the expectation that it’d be different this time. If you’re only going to include one power source you might as well include the one most people are going to use, and for those doing dual remote, that’s most likely a hardwire. It really seems like this isn’t the product for you, which is fine, there are a plethora of other products on the market that will apparently suit you better. Personally I’d rather not have the price increased by some number of dollars to include a piece of hardware most people won’t use and that reduces functionality to boot. Similarly, I’m sure SG doesn’t want to shrink their profit margins to include something most people won’t use anyway. It’s wasteful, both monetarily and in materials for customer and manufacturer alike. Much of the point of a dual remote is for increased inconspicuousness, and using a cigarette plug goes rather against that.

Last edited:
The free dashcam viewer software with SG cameras are for playing the memory card content on a PC or MAC, you can not access the footage / camera over wifi with the player.
The wifi only work with the Android or IOS APP, you can do settings - use liver view ( have to start record manual then ) and you can preview and DL video files to your phone.
The best way to comfortable work with the large number of files from a dashcam i think are still on a PC or MAC with the memory card in a card reader, but the wifi are okay if you are on a long drive and expect the memory card to fill up several times. then you can grab that 1 file you want to save just fine.
You can also use the event button to lock events in a "read only" mode, i used " " cuz that will also recycle eventually when that memory space is full, but dont worry you can have a whole lot of event files before the oldest one get overwritten.
Depending on state i recon you can drive across state and have a event you lock every 10 miles, and when you get to the next state over you will still have the first event you locked.

Using the event button for little things to share ASO are a must, trying to remember where and what after a drive is a PITA, i know cuz that is what i did for the first 4 - 5 years i was into dashcams.
When you use the event button on the DR it will also snap a picture, having this folder opened in another window make it faster to locate just that moment in the locked down file ( files )
The way SG cameras handle events you also dont have to rush to the event button, you could pull over nice and easy light a ciggerette and then lean back and press the button, and you should still have the actual event in the locked file / files.

It is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with a new gadget, and you cant really destroy your new dashcam, the biggest NO - NO you can do so to say is "yank" the memory card out while the unit are powered up / recording.
But settings you can play around with as you please to see what suit you best, if you get sidetracked there is a reset to default option, and default are most times fine and you will only need to set your time zone ( + / - daylight savings if you have that )
You have to stop the current recordings to get into the settings of the camera, this is also so if you connect with the wifi and APP.

It is actually fairly simple what a dashcam do and can do, only the "smart" cameras can add to this with their cloud and what have you stuff.
SG dont do smart cameras yet, so what their cameras do are just the very basic stuff you want

When i get a new camera i only change a few of the default settings.
1. I set time zone ( +2 in Denmark in the summer )
2. I set recording length to 3 minutes though it is often the default setting
3. I select the highest possible bitrate / image quality
4. I turn off G sensor and parking mode stuff as i normally dont use that
5 I turn on WDR if it is not on by default ( might turn this off later )
6: i format the memory card in the camera, and then i am ready to go.

Last edited:
FWIW, apparently SG cams have never come with two power sources in the box before, so I’m unsure why the expectation that it’d be different this time. If you’re only going to include one power source you might as well include the one most people are going to use, and for those doing dual remote, that’s most likely a hardwire. It really seems like this isn’t the product for you, which is fine, there are a plethora of other products on the market that will apparently suit you better. Personally I’d rather not have the price increased by some number of dollars to include a piece of hardware most people won’t use and that reduces functionality to boot. Similarly, I’m sure SG doesn’t want to shrink their profit margins to include something most people won’t use anyway. It’s wasteful, both monetarily and in materials for customer and manufacturer alike.

I've owned, evaluated and tested dozens of dash cams over the last 10 years and every single one has included a 12V plug. How many dash cams have you had experience with?

Many people are not interested in a hard wired dash cam. Perhaps the buyer should be offered the option of one or the other?

I've owned, evaluated and tested dozens of dash cams over the last 10 years and every single one has included a 12V plug. How many dash cams have you had experience with?

Many people are not interested in a hard wired dash cam. Perhaps the buyer should be offered the option of one or the other?

Cool, but this discussion in particular applies to DR cams. I don’t care how many single-channel cams came with a cigarette plug, it’s not surprising considering the use case. I wonder how many DR cams had their cigarette adapters thrown in the trash or remain otherwise unused. Nothing like setting yourself up for a stealthy setup, only to ruin it by using a cigarette plug. I suspect the ‘many people’ not interested in a hardwire setup are also not particularly interested in a DR setup either. Perhaps the buyer should be offered an option, but if that’s not the case, it makes complete sense for the hardwire to be the default.

True i think most are okay with using the in dash / console socket to power the camera, and if you do not need parking mode you dont have to hard wire.

But i think the hard wire kit coming with the DR are a good idea, one i only thought off when i saw it, you dont want a wire from your socket in the dash you can trace strait to the "hidden" main unit.
Okay for a knowing person going strait to the fuse box and look for what is probably easy to spot none factory wires and then follow those will probably only add some seconds / effort to the challenge.

Believe me i have 4 spare 12 V sockets in my glove box, and i would love to jump the fence where it is lowest and plug in there, but with the DR it seem like i will have to go for my fuse box which is also okay i have to go there anyways and i already have the ACC fuse found, so i just need to locate a always on one and a suitable ground connection.

I appreciate SG's effort in keeping costs down as much as possible. I also appreciate their excellent customer service for not only offering discounts to forum members, but also offering to throw in the 12V adapter if wanted. Increasing waste and prices on the chance that someone would want to buy a several hundred dollar dash camera only to have wires hanging around on the dash and not get the full functionality of the unit is counterproductive. Despite the vocal minority, I'm sure this isn't going to be much of an issue.

Cool, but this discussion in particular applies to DR cams. I don’t care how many single-channel cams came with a cigarette plug, it’s not surprising considering the use case. I wonder how many DR cams had their cigarette adapters thrown in the trash or remain otherwise unused. Nothing like setting yourself up for a stealthy setup, only to ruin it by using a cigarette plug. I suspect the ‘many people’ not interested in a hardwire setup are also not particularly interested in a DR setup either. Perhaps the buyer should be offered an option, but if that’s not the case, it makes complete sense for the hardwire to be the default.

You conveniently didn't bother to answer my question about how many dash cams you've owned or had personal hands-on experience with. FYI, a couple of cameras I've owned or tested are two channel models and they did indeed come with 12V plugs. In one case, both types were supplied.

BTW, I happen to have two 12V sockets in my truck and both power dash cams. They have literally no effect on the otherwise very stealthy nature of my 5 camera dash cam installation. You'd need to sit in one of the front seats and really look hard to see them and you've have no way to even know what they are powering. For those of us who have been using dash cams for many years the issue of stealth has far more to to do with the visibility of the cameras themselves, not how they are plugged in. People have all kinds of devices plugged into 12V power outlets these days.

Also, BTW, I use 12V adapters with dual USB-A ports in them. USB-A 12V cigarette adapters with a supllied power cable would be an inexpensive and simple option for the SG9663DR. Such a solution would certainly "fit in the box". Other manufacturers provide USB-A 12V adapters as the standard power supply these days. Many find this approach useful and practical because it provides a convenient method for swapping from your vehicle's 12V power to a power bank.

Last edited:

If it was actually an improvement in regard to a stealthy design when compared to the current DC rear camera, your point would be valid, but it's not. So, as much as you and SG want to believe this is a stealthy design and hence doesn't warrant including a 12V cig lighter adapter, it's actually a step backwards.

The K2S come with USB wire ( A to C ) and then a dual output chager plug

Maybe ( just maybe ) SG plan to make ultra small camera units for side use, or maybe a dedicated side version with such small cameras.
I will give anyone that the smaller a side camera unit cam be, the easier it will be to find a good spot for it, and then there is the stealth bonus associated with all things small.

BUT ! i dont think SG are in any way thinking about side cameras as in a system made for just that, and a system that with some creativity could be used as a side camera are probably not high on the agenda.
I am not even sure the K2S system was made with that option in mind, but it is so far the most optimal camera i have tried / seen in regard too side use.

IMO side cameras should also have a even wider FOV than what we see on forward or rear cameras today, that would be one reason to make dedicated side camera models at least.

Back