SG9663DR update

A couple of few questions:

1. What are the dimensions of the foot of the camera mount?

2. Where are all the cable connectors on the main body? I see 2 on the side but that leaves 3 unaccounted for - GPS, power, and remote key/microphone.

3. Is there any mounting mechanism for the main body?... or is it just a box with buttons and we do what we want/can insofar as installation?

4. How long is the cable for the remote key/microphone?... GPS unit?

5. Possible to get pics of the back of the main unit if it's anything but flat?

Edit for more questions:

6. From the pictures the power cable appears to have a non-USB terminal at the camera end, true? If so, what is it? What might be the non-hardwire power options?

7. What is the length(s) of the camera cables?

Last edited:
Must be a flat back, hence the dual-lock.

SG USA confirmed the 12V cigarette lighter adapter being an optional accessory.

I think all of the inputs are in the end to the right in the picture in #650 ( under the cardboard ) as i understand it there is a pig tail of wires coming off the main box there. ( much like some motorcycle systems )
" mounting mechanism " i wonder that too now that you mention it, it could be what the dual lock tape in the picture are for.

USB plug into camera units, the other kind of connectors plug in the the pig tail wire loom coming off the main unit

I do think people might come up with 3D prints for a bracket holding the camera too, but i also think most will be just fine with the dual lock tape ( personally i have never tried to use it )

Really you do not want the main unit in sight on the dash or console or something like that, "all" the wires simply make that too hard to do, unless you have a pretty casual approach to how your dash or center console look.
The wires are probably fairly stiff and un flexible, so tight bends on them are probably not easy

The GPS antenna are probably back to a "long" length 5 - 6 foot i recon, and still having the mini jack plug it should be possible to extend it further if you are installing the main unit deep down in the bowls of your car.
The short wire we have been used to from the conventional systems will not do it here with the main unit probably in many cases stashed under the dashboard, i still have in mind the back of my glove box as a potential mounting place, it is easy and fast to make my glove box not hit the stops so it open even more, otherwise access to the back of it are no good.

You could maybe also mount the main unit upside down in the "sealing" of your glove box, another location though i dont think is good would be if your car have a overhead console with some storage in it, but it is hot up there in the summer if you use parking mode.

Last edited:
SG USA confirmed the 12V cigarette lighter adapter being an optional accessory.
I read that - I was thinking more along the lines of a power bank, etc. hence my 'concern' about it being a non-USB termination.

@niko Also interested regarding the price.

What is the max microSD capacity supported?

This system is designed to be hardwired so the 3-wire hardwire kit was included by default. 2-wire cig power is possible but not recommended. DR is more expensive to produce and box is bigger (12 inches) and weighs more to ship (over 3lbs now) Price had to go up a bit.

I’m trying to find my digital calipers so I can answer the measurement questions. (Still organizing at the newly relocated Florida office)

Here are connector photos.

7e18e1e4abee69223c1deb57e5430179.jpg

92bfd4f73a13270c108963888e7a91ba.jpg

At that price you have to pay extra for a 12V cigarette lighter adapter? Unbelievable! :eek:

Yeah, in my opinion too, should be included.

Buyers with no experience hardwiring will be in a fix and a bit disappointed when they realise there's more to getting it started and recording.

If SG means to keep it this way to encourage hardwiring, then add it somewhere in the listings that a cigarette lighter adapter is not included. Probably SG is favouring a hardwired connection.

Last edited:
This system is designed to be hardwired so the 3-wire hardwire kit was included by default. 2-wire cig power is possible but not recommended. DR is more expensive to produce and box is bigger (12 inches) and weighs more to ship (over 3lbs now) Price had to go up a bit.

I’m trying to find my digital calipers so I can answer the measurement questions. (Still organizing at the newly relocated Florida office)

Here are connector photos.

7e18e1e4abee69223c1deb57e5430179.jpg

92bfd4f73a13270c108963888e7a91ba.jpg

Then for someone who doesn't want to tax their car battery running dash cameras then this unit is out of the question. For example, as many members know I run 5 cameras in my vehicle including two side cams. For this reason I use power banks for parking mode since the four cams I run in parking mode would otherwise drain the battery too quickly. Basically, for anyone who had considered running two of these two channel units for full 360º won't be able to for parking.

I can't say it is unexpected but this camera seems outrageously overpriced with or without the 12V adapter. It should be included for those that want or need the option.

Zowie, that reeks of QUALITY and thoughtful design too :love:

Hardwiring would be the way to go with a cam like this, as there's nothing non-permanent about it. But with computer-controlled power schemes and CANBUS becoming commonplace, I'm not sure how well that could work for everyone. If I discovered after a long and tough install that a cam was incompatible with my car and there was no included work-around, I'd be more than PO'ed :eek: At least with a ciggie plug you can always have a cam which works for driving even if you have to plug and unplug manually.

If it becomes an issue I'm pretty sure SG will do something to address it adequately. It IS pricey, but you don't get what you don't pay for and if pattern follows history here it will be a good investment.

Phil

I will toss in a cigarette charger free for any early DR USA customers that ask for one. it’s not a problem we have a few spares here currently but again you probably only would use one for testing purposes and early trial runs.

BTW, I just gotta' say, the individual camera modules are far larger than I was expecting. They are not nearly as stealthy as I thought they would end up being. Essentially, they look like standard tube style dash cams.

Last edited:

What's your point? It looks quite a lot like, in fact almost identical to the many different tube style cameras on the market. Some are smaller than others, some longer, some shorter but fatter (mini-0901). And why not show the rather large mounting bracket in your photos?

Certainly very, very similar in design and appearance. Blackvue rear cam is smaller and far steallthier than SG9663DR.
blackvue.jpg
Front: W 118.5 mm (4.67″) x H 36 mm (1.42″) / 91 g (3.21 oz)
Rear: W 67.4 mm (2.65″) x H 25 mm (0.98″) / 26 g (0.92 oz)

Last edited:
BTW, I just gotta' say, the individual camera modules are far larger than I was expecting. They are not nearly as stealthy as I thought they would end up being. Essentially, they look like standard tube style dash cams.

Agreed, but they are at least better than the boxy remotes some other cams have. Still a very long way from the tiny K2S cam modules which I had hoped would be more closely emulated.

Phil

The side camera plan I had in mind seems out the window. I was expecting a smaller version of the current DC rear camera or something similar.

The side camera plan I had in mind seems out the window. I was expecting a smaller version of the current DC rear camera or something similar.

Yeah, same here, and after two and a half years of waiting for this!

Last edited:
Yeah, and after two and a half years of waiting for this!

Side cameras wise, at least for a car like mine and what I had in mind, I'm disappointed. I am still looking at it as an upgrade for the front and rear. I'll probably end up going for the DC if the mounting pics aren't to my liking.

Last edited:
Back