SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

Hey Rick,

Had another 'speed spike' this morning..

9XjSLvx.jpg

526kmh down General Holmes Drive :D

Again, the spike is at the very beginning of a new file, just like the last one. This was on beta22. Never saw these problems before the betas. Not a biggie but thought I'd report it.

I've copied the file to my phone so can upload to mega tomorrow if you want.

Norm

LOW example:

There's no good reason to shoot a bear like that. I guess some people do hunt them though.
When i read this news, i think about you and a bear in your backyard. :D
I suggest maybe you should learn boxing like this man :D
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/sudbury-man-punches-black-bear-1.3663954
A Sudbury man is walking away with only scratches after fighting a 300 pound black bear.

Sixty-one year old Rick Nelson was walking his dog in the Panache area on Sunday afternoon when he stumbled across the bear's cub.

"I sat down on a log and the bear cub poked its head out of the shrub nearby. It was so close I could touch it. It let out a yelp, because I scared the heck out of it," Nelson told CBC News.

"I knew right away I was in trouble," he said. "It's calling for mommy."

Nelson is a former bear hunter, so he stood up knowing he only had seconds to spare.

"The mother was coming full speed," he said. "All you could hear was the bush crashing."

No rocks, no sticks — just fists
Soon the bear was in front of Nelson and up on hind legs.

"I had no rocks, no sticks," he said, but he did have a lot of boxing practice.

Nelson tried to swing at the bear but missed, hitting it in the teeth. The bear hit back, scratching Nelson across the chest and face.

rick-nelson-2.jpg

Rick Nelson escaped the bear fight with cuts to his face and shoulder. (Provided)

"I knew it would swing first with its left but it would really come with its right, because most bears are right-handed," Nelson said.

So Nelson swung a second time.

'Most bears are right-handed.'- Rick Nelson
"I had the perfect shot to take. I did an underhand and hit it right in the snout."

That's when the bear's cub let out another squeal and started to move away, Nelson said.

"Now it was the moment of truth. What's this bear going to do? Is it going to follow its cub or is it going to come after me?"

"[The mother bear] turned around and it was snorting blood. It looked at me, and I thought, 'Oh no. Here it comes,'" he said.

"But it just turned back around and walked away like nothing ever happened and followed the cub," Nelson said. "So I really lucked out there."

rick-nelson.jpg

Nelson told CBC News he's grateful he knew how to throw a punch. "Believe me, when you've got adrenaline pumping, you can hit. Even at 61 with grey hair, you can still hit hard." (Provided)

Black bears 'get a bad rap'
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry told CBC News it has not received any reports of bear attacks on people this year.

Black bear attacks are extremely rare according to the ministry, and usually only happen if the bear feels threatened.

Despite his close call, Nelson said he doesn't want people to be afraid of the animal.

"Black bears really aren't dangerous unless you have a cub involved. So sometimes black bears get a really bad rap. Probably they're more afraid of you and [me], than we are of them," he said.

"I'm really glad that the bear walked away. And I'm really glad I did too."

When i read this news, i think about you and a bear in your backyard. :D
I suggest maybe you should learn boxing like this man :D
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/sudbury-man-punches-black-bear-1.3663954

Never ever mess with a female bear with cubs under any circumstances. The man in the article you cite made it clear he was well aware of that when the incident with the bear cub occurred. Under other circumstances black bears are more likely to try to avoid confrontations with humans.

Funny timing for you to mention this as just last evening a good sized bear briefly came out of the woods about 90 yards from my house because he probably smelled the pork I was barbecuing out on my deck at the time. As soon as he saw me he ducked back into the forest and lurked behind the trees for a few minutes before deciding to go on his way.

Thanks to my crackerjack ISP, Fairpoint Communications I've had basically no internet connectivity from last Thursday until just a few hours ago. This typical saga with my ISP and sub par bandwidth is worthy of quite a rant somewhere but in the meantime I've been trying to do some testing of Beta 22 and here are the results.

I'm afraid that so far I am not too impressed with my experience and as far as I can tell, the results were better with Beta 19 and Beta 20.

A while back in this thread @jokiin asked "if you have a chance can you try these same conditions with it set to average and center for comparison?" I finally had an opportunity to do that, so here they are.

Generally speaking, under very challenging dynamic range situations the problem I've been describing continues to persist - (but that does not occur to this degree with other dash cam platforms as documented in my other thread on the subject)

In many ways, the various settings showed only subtle differences.

In more balanced lighting, things have a tendency to look a bit too dark but are definitely much improved over earlier firmware versions if you have a dark colored vehicle.

Please note that I intentionally tried experimenting with different amounts of vehicle hood in the FOV.

centercut2.jpg
fullframe.jpg
lowcut.jpg

Notice that Center Cut slightly improves detail in the middle of the brightly lit road.
centercut.jpg
full.jpg
lowcut.jpg

center-cut.jpg
fullframe.jpg
low-cut.jpg

Last edited:
thought you must have been on holidays

Well, that too, it was the July 4th weekend but I've had severe packet loss going on all this time, starting last May until it finally went completely belly up a week ago.

My ISP blamed it on me and my home network until I finally got a really great tech out to my house today and was able to demonstrate the problem to him and show him my diagnostic test results and ping performance in person. He placed a call to a tech he knows at the central office who he said really knows her sh*t and she said on speaker phone, "Tell me about it, we've been dealing with this region-wide on the old legacy systems for almost a month now and nobody can figure out how to fix it!". She was able to migrate me to different but over subscribed DSLAM until they finally sort this out, so now I'm back online. This was after getting lectured on the phone yesterday by a supervisor who blamed it on my third party router that he claimed had corrupted the firmware in my modem. That's what they do when they can't figure things out, they blame it on the customer. I am now the proud owner of 7 totally unnecessary new modems they've shipped me in the last three years. The new one that arrived yesterday didn't fix the problem as they said it would and that I told them wouldn't. The story is longer and much more complicated and more hair pulling than this but that's the short version. Where I live in this rural area we are all getting screwed by Fairpoint, the only available mismanaged, incompetent and dishonest provider we have along with our totally impotent state government.

Last edited:
BTW, remember when recently I said that "Center Cut" sounded like a style of butchering beef? So, the other day I was out with a lady friend of mine when we stopped so I could do a little bit of the above SG9665GC beta testing and I mentioned the different settings I was trying out and the need for better menu description terms. She then proceeded to totally crack me up so badly that I almost couldn't drive when I mentioned the "Low Cut" setting. She said, "Low cut is the style of blouse I like to wear when I want to show off my cleavage!" :D

Last edited:
This was after getting lectured on the phone yesterday by a supervisor who blamed it on my third party router that he claimed had corrupted the firmware in my modem. That's what they do when they can't figure things out, they blame it on the customer.

I see this is pretty much the standard world wide then

So, the other day I was out with a lady friend of mine when we stopped so I could do a little bit of the above SG9665GC beta testing and I mentioned the different settings I was trying out and the need for better menu description terms. She then proceeded to totally crack me up so badly that I almost couldn't drive when I mentioned the "Low Cut" setting. She said, "Low cut is the style of blouse I like to wear when I want to show off my cleavage! :D

you know she was flirting with you at this point though right ;)

I'll look at that, I need to translate into multiple languages as well so looking for something that makes sense on multiple levels, I've renamed the center cut option already, still need to do some fine tuning to the low cut table which is more of a focus right now, some other fixes we're working on also but want to fine tune the tables a bit more before we get into adjustments on brightness, contrast, WDR etc

"Center Weighted" is really the traditional term for what you are calling "Center Cut". I think what you are doing here with the AE tables on the lower 20/25 percent or so of the FOV may well benefit from being described as "Masking" as I believe that is what it actually is.

"Center Weighted" is really the traditional term for what you are calling "Center Cut". I think what you are doing here with the AE tables on the lower 20/25 percent or so of the FOV may well benefit from being described as "Masking" as I believe that is what it actually is.

have changed that one to center weighted already actually

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SG9665GC 1
Brent. SG9665GC 17
A SG9665GC 100
jokiin SG9665GC 24
jokiin SG9665GC 154
Back