SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

Low AE, everything else default.

Uploading some samples now to mega, will pm @jokiin once they're done.

Beta seems good to me so far. Low AE seems really dark in some areas, most notably for me when the sun is behind clouds or when transitioning from under a bridge to daylight. My knowledge of that stuff is pretty minimal, so perhaps the darkness is what Low AE is intended to do.

The overly dark imagery in some lighting still seems to be a challenge but if I understand that aspect is still being worked on. Otherwise, seems to be improving as each iteration is introduced.

Medium and high contrast
0B4pERU.gif

A little dark for the time on a clear day with the sun out.

png2016-09-28-16h15m13s991.png

The block I live in is completely lined with overgrown trees, the change in lighting is resolved well.

Though not an issue, I can see two hot pixels with this AE mode, which aren't visible with Centre or Average.

png2016-09-28-15h53m21s407.png

Quick question - Is the low-cut same as or similar to spot metering?

Does low cut take also the sky (top part of image) into account? And center?

Quick question - Is the low-cut same as or similar to spot metering?

it's similar although it's framed higher than the center weighted option

the difference in weighting may be why you can see those pixels in one mode and not the others

haha! Ok, here Are my assumptions:

Center (green) uses a weighting that favours the center of the image, but it also takes into account the top, bottom and sides.
LowCut (Blue) is a mix of Center and Average (Red) but does not take into account the bottom part.

Am I close?
rO686CX.jpg

Of course, weighting within the areas is not equal and it depends on the conditions as well (separation, hue, and intensity differences)

Only as a test here in the office.
But good point, I will try today.

I did not change the settings when I switched to the other car, so this was on Low as well, looked a bit strange:
This is 45 minutes later in the proper vehicle:

So is the idea of the new contrast menu that we should adjust it if we have a CPL installed?

So is the idea of the new contrast menu that we should adjust it if we have a CPL installed?
The values still need adjustment but yes if you have a CPL then lower contrast will probably be beneficial, we're still fine tuning this so the results are still up for further improvement

I did not change the settings when I switched to the other car, so this was on Low as well, looked a bit strange:
This is 45 minutes later in the proper vehicle:
Do you think that much difference is possible simply by moving the camera to another car? Perhaps you could have two video modes with different presets to adjust for the colour/shade of the hood/dash and the proportion of the frame it occupies, plus any other relevant differences between the cars?

Back