SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

Plus why go to the effort to make it work with Apple products when Apple won't return the favor - and even (it seems) go out of their way to break things that aren't Apple.

The reason you go through the effort to follow a standard is that it would work everywhere. But, it looks like the GPS functionality doesn't allow StreetGuardian to follow the standard. The aftermarket readers typically need 3rd party apps that you can't guarantee to work in the future. DCF is a standard and cheap dashcams like my friend's GW1H work just fine with the reader. Unfortunately, I was hoping to use the reader I already had.

Plus why go to the effort to make it work with Apple products when Apple won't return the favor - and even (it seems) go out of their way to break things that aren't Apple.

Because of the many people like me who have been accustomed for years to being able to load videos onto their iPad and iPhones while out and about. For example, I can easily load and view videos from my Mobius cams on my iPad but not the SG9665GC.

Actually, @Street Guardian USA very generously sent me an iReader to try out and it although it is a bit cumbersome it works, except it has an issue with not being able to play the audio. Of course, this approach also involves an additional expense for the reader in addition to the cost of the camera that other cameras such as the original Mobius with a working DCIM folder will not require. At least it is a workaround.

we've looked into this already and technically yes that is possible, it won't be happening though, doing this in a non GPS model is no real issue but unfortunately it breaks a lot of the functionality we need for GPS if we were to rename the files to suit, aftermarket Apple card readers can view the files once they're in a DCIM folder but you need to follow the full spec for it to work with the Apple version

Appreciate the explanation. I've tried manually changing the files names as well, so I've been wondering about this.

we spent a bit of time on this already trying to come up with a workaround to suit but Apple being Apple don't leave any wiggle room when working with their own devices unfortunately, I understand the appeal of having this but unfortunately it makes a mess of too many other things to do it, things like file recycling all need to be rewritten to suit (annoying but doable), the structure changes for GPS are a pain, biggest issue of the lot though is it would break playback in Registrator Viewer which as we know is not possible to get updated anymore, that would alienate everyone just to appeal to a subset of Apple users that use the card reader, that's out of the question

we spent a bit of time on this already trying to come up with a workaround to suit but Apple being Apple don't leave any wiggle room when working with their own devices unfortunately, I understand the appeal of having this but unfortunately it makes a mess of too many other things to do it, things like file recycling all need to be rewritten to suit (annoying but doable), the structure changes for GPS are a pain, biggest issue of the lot though is it would break playback in Registrator Viewer which as we know is not possible to get updated anymore, that would alienate everyone just to appeal to a subset of Apple users that use the card reader, that's out of the question

I do wish the GC had this capability but after a while one learns to live without it. You can't have everything.

I do wish the GC had this capability but after a while one learns to live without it. You can't have everything.

I wish it did too as I understand the appeal, we (or anyone else for that matter) can never be all things to all people so we just have to do the best we can with what we have, it won't suit everyone but that's a fact of life and why we have choices

GT680W does and that DCIM folder works.

Yeah, I renamed the files recorded by the SG9665GC myself and it looks like RegistratorViewer still picked up the GPS data.

That's unfortunate. It's otherwise a really great dashcam. What's going on behind the scenes in the firmware where the filename and structure of the folder needs to be this way for the GPS feature to work?

If you want to look at it from strictly a business perspective, for each IOS user their are 3 Android users.

http://bgr.com/2016/06/02/apples-mobile-market-share-sees-big-drop-in-may-as-android-skyrockets/

The included OTG Android reader covers the most people for now.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-android-smartphone-tablet-and-pc-mac.12819/

I'm an iPhone 6S plus user and this other reader works great. Audio is fine after you transfer video to the local camera roll.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...sd-otg-card-reader-for-ios-and-android.18673/

Yeah, I renamed the files recorded by the SG9665GC myself and it looks like RegistratorViewer still picked up the GPS data.

That's unfortunate. It's otherwise a really great dashcam. What's going on behind the scenes in the firmware where the filename and structure of the folder needs to be this way for the GPS feature to work?

renaming the files doesn't change the embedded data that is already there, Registrator Viewer reads the embedded data, it could be made to work but the changes we'd need to make would change the structure of the embedded data that Registrator Viewer currently looks at, something we can't change if we want to keep compatibility with that software, Registrator Viewer supports about 300 different cameras just by filename structure and applies a specific profile based on which camera it is, it's all very seamless to the end user but there's some very specific changes to file sorting, data interpretation, speed display etc that is specific to each camera, particularly anything non Ambarella

not the exact same time but assuming no problems with this next build we will do a V1 version of it which we will put out for any V1 owners to test and confirm also
Good evening @jokiin - Is there an update for V1 in the pipeline that is due for release anytime soon?
Just checked on your website and the latest version there is from 25th January this year.

Just checked on your website and the latest version there is from 25th January this year.

http://autodvr.by/firmware
http://autodvr.by/download/Street_Guardian/V1/SG9665GC_V1_beta_9.zip

8enRb0X.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back