SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

another version due this week so you may prefer to hold off a few days anyway
So I'm guessing the next version got delayed somewhat. Is it still coming soon or should I forget about that and install the SG20160809.V2 release?

@jokiin just got done traveling to China, He'll be meeting directly with the engineers over the next several days. We are internally testing a new release with the private pre-test team now, so far so good.

So I'm guessing the next version got delayed somewhat. Is it still coming soon or should I forget about that and install the SG20160809.V2 release?

we have an update but haven't had a chance to finish testing, 0809 is most recent stable version but the beta will be available shortly also

have added a link to the current beta in the first post, I didn't get to finish testing so some things I still don't know the results of but I'm traveling at the moment, feedback seems to suggest no stability issues but the changes to AE and contrast are still relatively unknown so any feedback is helpful, I expect further changes will still be needed regardless so don't be too concerned if the results aren't there right now, we still have further work to do

I haven't found any issues with it yet.

yeah I think stability is fine, just never got a chance to go through the test process to look at any results of the IQ adjustments made, at the moment there were weighting changes made to the low cut table and the contrast settings that need to be evaluated, I'm reasonably expecting that the contrast is going to need further adjustment, I want to add more levels of user adjustment anyway as the setting needed will differ depending on with/without CPL and also with a new CPL coming the setting needed may differ between the current CPL and the new one so I expect we're going to want more adjustment there regardless, there are some brightness levels that will need to be played with also, step at a time though

yeah my initial test was that it needs user adjustment, just waiting on different conditions for testing it.

I updated, set AE to low, and we will see.

Contrast I left at medium, what should we expect from this?

BTW I upgraded without formatting the card but by removing the BIN file afterwards, but it still went to factory settings the first time I ran the cam.

My bad for not following procedure ofcourse but I did not have an empty TF card for the upgrade.

Contrast I left at medium, what should we expect from this?

I didn't get a chance to test it before I left the country so at this stage I can't tell you what to expect, I'm sure it will need further adjustment though, even without seeing any results as yet, main thing is are the settings making a difference +/- when changed so I know that the menu function works, if it does then will move to the next step

First comparison, no dramatic differences in the night beta 26 center vs 27 low:

When comparing screenshots: (truck is in beta27low)
I noticed some debarreling, is that right?
9620b957-3974-425c-a2ca-347507813530
ZyyKfqX.gif

I thought not, but sun only just came up here! ;)

These are two shots from the movies above.
The truck is in the beta 27 imgage. The beta 26 image has been rolled 80 pixels to match up with the other one. I realize this is not fair, and might cause the change in perspective. I will try to find a move that's better aligned. One moment.

Yeah my bad. The rolling messed things up. This is better, but beta 26 looks cleaner because the speed was much lower.
HvtuNHN.gif

I didn't get a chance to test it before I left the country so at this stage I can't tell you what to expect, I'm sure it will need further adjustment though, even without seeing any results as yet, main thing is are the settings making a difference +/- when changed so I know that the menu function works, if it does then will move to the next step

Did a short test, but I find no differences between high and low, but both are a bit brighter than the medium.
YeQZ7jY.gif

When I boost the contrast in postprocessing I see an increased mean, a decreased stdev, bit higher kurtosis (less negative) and slightly increase skewness.

oWnIxJl.gif

Back