SG9665GC GPS Question?

I just received a nice shiny new unit from Strathfields yesterday and am planning to install on Saturday...

Thinking about the cable management I'd be quite keen on really shortening the length of the gps cable to just about the same length as the provided extension cable and windshield mounting on the other side of the rearview mirror...

What would best, cut and splice the cable, cut and solder inside the module or cut and attach a new 3 pole connection?

For the most part it's best to simply leave the cable as it is but cutting and carefully soldering inside the module housing would probably be the best option. The thing you want to avoid with any GPS cable is damaging the cable's shielding which can lead to interference with other electronics and/or diminished GPS performance.

That might be a bit short, you want to keep it a bit further away from the camera for better performance, you need to either put tape on the top side or open it up and flip the PCB so the antenna is facing the correct way if you want to mount it to the window

thanks for the advice... I didn't even consider shielding or proximity to camera... I've ordered a module from ebay as it's going to be a better option for experiments so the original will always be around as a guaranteed backup should I stuff it up :)

Just installed my new dashcam from Hiniko and it's working great. Excellent service by the way. I have installed the GPS module on the w/screen without reversing the innards and it appears to work well although altitude is not shown in Registration Viewer. Should it be? I thought probably not? I'm also using Dashcam Viewer which also seems to display well.

I have installed the GPS module on the w/screen without reversing the innards and it appears to work well
probably getting lower signal, will work but in areas of weak signal it may not.

Back