SG9665GC "hot pixels" in a grid pattern

scootle

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I need to play around some more to see if this is an issue with both the units I have here, but the one I installed first (and have exercised the most so far) appears to exhibit what are best described as hot pixels in a very clear grid pattern during any footage taken at night or in low light.

Is this something that can be calibrated out? I had thought perhaps the auto-calibration would stabilize it after using it for a little while, but the problem seems to be persisting in recent footage as well.

I'd have to publish some test clips to show more clearly what I'm talking about if folks don't understand the problem. This is not isolated hot pixels scattered within the image, it is very clearly a GRID pattern over the entire frame.

Thanks!

This is not isolated hot pixels scattered within the image, it is very clearly a GRID pattern over the entire frame.

Thanks!

screenshot would help, can't say I've ever seen a pattern to this so if you have something that demonstrates that would help

I took some screengrabs but the conversion to .jpg seems to wash out the very clear grid pattern. I'll find a host to upload a un-edited video clip that illustrates the grid pattern clearly.

I'll also see if the recalibration that Jon sent me fixes the issue. Thanks!

So I tested things a bit further and I suspect this is something specific to VLC. If I play back the .mov files directly in VLC, the grid pattern shows up very clearly in the night footage. If I open it up on Windows Media Player or Registrator Viewer, the grids don't appear. Is there something about the codec used by the SG9665GC that might create artifacts when viewed in VLC? I tested this on both of the SG9665GC units that I received here recently from Pier28 with the most recent firmware and they both exhibit the same artifacts in VLC.

Fragment of an original file here from tonight, clearly showing the grid pattern if viewed in VLC: https://mega.nz/#!mFcjWDLC!B-BVfiZnDlGZR7woXf1xnDzeMVDJC7PMZMyhqMRcqzs

Very interesting anyhow. It appears processing the file via upload to YouTube doesn't show the artifacts... and direct screengrabs don't show the pattern clearly either.

So I tested things a bit further and I suspect this is something specific to VLC. If I play back the .mov files directly in VLC, the grid pattern shows up very clearly in the night footage. If I open it up on Windows Media Player or Registrator Viewer, the grids don't appear. Is there something about the codec used by the SG9665GC that might create artifacts when viewed in VLC? I tested this on both of the SG9665GC units that I received here recently from Pier28 with the most recent firmware and they both exhibit the same artifacts in VLC.

Fragment of an original file here from tonight, clearly showing the grid pattern if viewed in VLC: https://mega.nz/#!mFcjWDLC!B-BVfiZnDlGZR7woXf1xnDzeMVDJC7PMZMyhqMRcqzs

Very interesting anyhow. It appears processing the file via upload to YouTube doesn't show the artifacts... and direct screengrabs don't show the pattern clearly either.

I played your video in VLC. The only thing I see are LED reflections coming from below, and street light reflections coming from the sides. You could benefit from a CPL
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/

Yeah CPL is next. :)

Not sure if it's the codec here in VLC, but it seems like it might be the issue. The odd thing is that it happens on both this machine as well as another with an independent copy of VLC (x64) freshly installed. Perhaps it is the x64 version of VLC causing the issue, as that's the only version I run. I'll muck around a bit more since it's got me curious now.

vrD8HyK.jpg

Thanks!

Here is a direct screencap of the VLC window... the grids are clearly visible. What is even more crazy though... if I frame-cap from within VLC, the grids disappear in the output image. Totally crazy.

Co2g1Vz.png

Last edited:
Yeah, the green reflections are the HVAC controls in the bimmer... never realized how many reflections they create. lol. CPL is on the list.

Here is a direct screencap of the VLC window... the grids are clearly visible. What is even more crazy though... if I frame-cap from within VLC, the grids disappear in the output image. Totally crazy.

Co2g1Vz.png

have never seen anything like this before, something unusual going on with your copy of VLC for whatever reason

Back