SG9665GC installed, time to show it off

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally got off my butt and removed the SG9665GC (V3) from my truck and got it all hardwired and mounted in the Audi A5 instead. It can still be removed and swapped around, but the truck has been relegated to as-needed use, while the A5 is the default vehicle for doing anything that doesn't require a truck.

I really like this camera. I just wish it were even teenier and tinier. As it is, it's still fairly low profile and extremely reliable, with the best customer service in the business. I'm still eagerly waiting for the remote dual setup to be released down the line. I want tiny cameras (that barely peek out under the tint strip and are easy to miss even as a passenger) and everything in a handheld brain and controller with a screen.

I'm letting the 3M VHB bake for a while in the sun without the camera hanging off it, but I went ahead and mounted it for a few shots to show off for you guys. I could've mounted it even further concealed (from outside view), but it wouldn't have made much of a difference, and I still wanted to be able to slide it up toward the headliner to unmount it. Sadly, there are very few good mounting points on the A5 due to how the headliner and overhead console are arranged with the rearview mirror, so I'll have to make due with what I got. At least the external GPS antenna can be tucked away nicely, and it doesn't add bulk and space to the mount like others do. You can't see that it's even there from the outside.

From the driver's perspective:
A5 SG9665GC - Interior Driver.jpg

Passenger closeup:
A5 SG9665GC - Interior Passenger.jpg

Passenger extreme closeup:
A5 SG9665GC - Interior Passenger Closeup.jpg

View from the exterior:
A5 SG9665GC - Exterior.jpg

Exterior close-up:
A5 SG9665GC - Exterior Closeup.jpg

And finally, here's just a quick screengrab of the resulting video to show the framing:
A5 SG9665GC - Sample Capture.jpg

Job well done! Does the Audi have an aftermarket accessory connector slot for hardwiring or did you tap it?

Thanks! I cut the cigarette adapter plug off, stripped the wires, and tapped it into the same built-in garage door acc/run power source in the overhead console that I use for my radar detector hardwire. Ran the ground wire to the same ground screw (or rather random body screw up there that happens to provide a good ground), too.

The only problem is the actual wires are so very small that even the smallest wore stripper (20-ga) was too big, and the stranded wire coating was so thin on the ground that it just pulled off when removing the fat cord insulation around both wires and caused me to have to re-do it a few times. Twisted and quadrupled up the hot wire to get enough meat on it to fit snugly into even the red wire taps. But all in all not too bad.

PS I did test it to make sure I can kill the engine with the stop/start button, which kills power to the detector and the dashcam, and then press the button again (without having my foot on the brake) to start acc power again so it starts recording in case I ever get pulled over and want to capture the conversation on the dashcam mic.

Your camera should be up a click and the genius who made that white rearview mirror should be shot

I don't think it can go up another click without being stopped by hitting the windshield.

By the way, I was able to get it up one more click after all. I'll review some footage and see how I like it. So far so good.

By the way, I was able to get it up one more click after all. I'll review some footage and see how I like it. So far so good.

One click can make a huge difference and even after the click I can move it a few degrees north/south without clicking which shows on the computer when reviewing

...the genius who made that white rearview mirror should be shot

I had the same issue, I think it's a very light grey and in theory it just matches the headlining. but it made my old cams extremely obvious through the windscreen. I have an a118c which looks the same as that SG and I wanted it hidden from passenger/driver view right behind the mirror (so that mechanics/garage staff wouldn't know it was recording them abusing my car) and I replaced my interior mirror with a black one, so unless you're trying to look for a cam from outside, it's unnoticeable

RAL 7035 and the much darker 9006 with a little sparkle in it was popular greys when i was a painter, not least the 9006 i have used tonnes of in powder form.

Here's a video (unlisted, please do not share) showing a result. I think the rainbow banding has to be in just the right conditions and is from the nearly-clear heat rejection ceramic film I recently had installed on the inside of my windshield.

Thoughts on positioning? I believe SG recommends setting it a little lower to help with white balance or something, I forget.

PS I *may* get a wild hair and use some replacement 3M pads to move the mount up toward the headliner about 1/2" (about 1 cm) to see if I can get the top of the lens closer to the bottom of the tint strip eyebrow.

Thoughts on positioning? I believe SG recommends setting it a little lower to help with white balance or something, I forget....
That's a tad higher than I have mine set. You have a dark vehicle like I do so going just a bit lower may help with exposure.

See here (wait for the front view) -

Here's a video (unlisted, please do not share) showing a result. I think the rainbow banding has to be in just the right conditions and is from the nearly-clear heat rejection ceramic film I recently had installed on the inside of my windshield.

that type of tint is known to cause the rainbow effect

Back