SG9665GC V2 Frame duplication stutter.

MFE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings,

I recently purchased a Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 through Dash Cam Owners Australia to replace my ailing B40, because of the supposed superior quality at night.

Unfortunately, whilst the night-time quality is better, it had a very annoying frame-duplication stutter where every three to four seconds, a frame would be duplicated, causing a stutter in the video file. It's clearly present in playback, and very obvious if you load the file into Registrator and use Next Frame to step through the sequences to find the duplicated files. The folks at DCOA claimed to not see the issue on the sample video I sent them direct from the card (they must be blind) but I have already sent the camera back and requested a replacement, and to test the replacement before sending a new one.

Anyone had this issue? Unfortunately, I did not write down the firmware or serial number of the unit before I returned it. Just want to know if anyone else has this issue with their camera.

Last edited:
What's the serial number off the back plate and what firmware version are you running?

Not other reports of this. (this is a new one)

What's the serial number off the back plate and what firmware version are you running?

Not other reports of this. (this is a new one)

Unfortunately, did not record those details before returning the camera.

Main reason I posted here was because the staff at DCOA claimed not to see the issue in the sample vid I sent them (same one in the link above) and I wanted to know if this was a common issue or "feature" of the camera. If it was, I would be requesting a refund, but I'm waiting on the replacement camera to see if it was just a one-off issue with the one I had.

Have never had that issue before, it's still a one off, Troy looked at the file this morning and didn't see it but I downloaded it and saw the stutter and asked him to replace it for you

Have never had that issue before, it's still a one off, Troy looked at the file this morning and didn't see it but I downloaded it and saw the stutter and asked him to replace it for you

Cheers for that, though I would have appreciated a direct response to my email in regards to this confirmation. The lack of response to my last two emails (clarifying the precise times of the issue in the file, and the second one sending the tracking number for the returned package) gave me the impression you were disinterested acknowledging or discussing the issue even though you had said you would replace the camera in the last email to me (where it was stated that there was no noticeable issue), hence why I started investigating further if others also had this problem.

that wasn't me you've been corresponding with although I was copied on an earlier mail, I did have further contact with Troy asking about the file but that was via IM rather than email and I asked him to replace the camera, we leave it to the sellers to communicate with the customers for the follow up as they handle that side of things so not sure what they do from that point on but I'll mention to Troy about being a bit more pro-active with the follow up in future, thanks for the feedback

that wasn't me you've been corresponding with although I was copied on an earlier mail, I did have further contact with Troy asking about the file but that was via IM rather than email and I asked him to replace the camera, we leave it to the sellers to communicate with the customers for the follow up as they handle that side of things so not sure what they do from that point on but I'll mention to Troy about being a bit more pro-active with the follow up in future, thanks for the feedback
Cheers for that.

Miguel.

Update:

Have received the second camera. Rather disappointed, as it has the same issue as the first one. Once again, I have supplied footage directly from the MicroSD, unedited in any way.

http://www.filedropper.com/20160412145316007

The file duplication and stutter is evident once more, the first three times at the following times/frames:

1.5 seconds (frames 45-46 duplicated)
5 seconds (frames 149-150 duplicated)
8.4 seconds (frames 252-253 duplicated)

And it continues to happen through the rest of the file, and all recorded files on the card.

The S/N: SGGC-B15450303
Firmware: SG20160323.V2

I will be returning this camera and requesting a refund; not willing to try any sort of firmware update in case I brick the unit and void any warranty on it.

Although I've not looked into the reason why (and I don't have a SG-GC) some media players work better with some cams than others.
I get stuttering with some cams and some media players and in some cases the video quality is worse when using certain media players.

Although I've not looked into the reason why (and I don't have a SG-GC) some media players work better with some cams than others.
I get stuttering with some cams and some media players and in some cases the video quality is worse when using certain media players.
It is not an issue with the media player; not only have I verified the issue is repeatable across every media player I have tried (across two different computers), when the raw MP4 file is opened in either Registrator Viewer, and the frames stepped through one by one, you can find the duplicated frames in the file itself; it's not the computer struggling to render the file due to being under powered.

Not sure what's going on but this is not normal at all
No, it's not, unfortunately. I am wondering if it's an issue with the firmware? If the previous camera had the same firmware (hopefully Troy put that first camera aside and can compare it against this one) perhaps there is an issue with the latest firmware. But as stated before, I'm not willing to attempt firmware changes as I don't want to brick the unit and risk voiding warranty.
All recordings have been made using the provided power source for the camera in the box, and I have even gone so far as to test the outlet in my car to make sure there isn't any voltage spikes or similar causing an issue. It isn't, and that's also supported by the fact that two other dash cams I have work flawlessly on the same socket.

Will be checking them to see what's going on, I spoke to our engineer about it earlier and he will be analyzing the files when we meet next Tuesday

Will be checking them to see what's going on, I spoke to our engineer about it earlier and he will be analyzing the files when we meet next Tuesday
Hope you can sort out the issue, and that it's a simple fix. I'll be returning the camera tomorrow morning for a refund.

We've sold heaps of GC's since early 2015 no other reports of this in North America. Maybe you have a faulty memory card(s), some strange strong RF chip interference or power fluctuations? (Wild guess). Engineer will analyze your videos and help determine what might be going on.

We've sold heaps of GC's since early 2015 no other reports of this in North America. Maybe you have a faulty memory card(s), some strange strong RF chip interference or power fluctuations? (Wild guess). Engineer will analyze your videos and help determine what might be going on.
With both cameras I tried both the supplied MicroSD (Kingston and Transcend) cards as well as my own Lexar C10 cards (300x and 633x write speeds) and the problem persisted, so it's not the cards. Interference of some kind is a possibility, but I tried the units with and without the GPS unit connected, and it made no difference there; as for other radio frequency sources, who knows? The duplicated frame stutter happens regularly, every 3-4 seconds, but it would take a fairly powerful signal to interfere with the video encoder on the physical level, and I don't have anything in my car that would put out that sort of radio frequency level. Considered the power supply, and voltage/amperage tested my outlet in my car, but that was well within appropriate limits as well.

My guess is that it's an issue with the firmware driving the file encoding, or possibly the encoding hardware/software that is spitting the dummy or not playing nice with the sensor in the unit for whatever reason. If the cams I returned are tested on your end at stock settings, and do not generate the same fault, then I'm at a loss as to what is going on, given my other cams are working fine. (Both of them B40 cams, battery-type, the only problem being that the batteries no longer hold a charge, and I have to physically turn off the cams by their power button before turning off the engine to prevent the last recorded file from being corrupted by early power loss).

My guess is that it's an issue with the firmware driving the file encoding, or possibly the encoding hardware/software that is spitting the dummy or not playing nice with the sensor in the unit for whatever reason. If the cams I returned are tested on your end at stock settings, and do not generate the same fault, then I'm at a loss as to what is going on, given my other cams are working fine..

Engineer said power or memory card would be the usual suspects, we'll be looking closely at these when they come back though to work it out, the fact that it hasn't come up previously doesn't mean there couldn't be something unseen before going on so it needs to be investigated regardless, will let you know what we find out once we've had a chance to do that

Strange. I think I'll change to the beta9 to investigate if it happens to me.

Did you run it from a wall socket as well?

Back