SGDCHW for SG9663DC (3-wire hardwire kit to enable PARKING MODE function) Timed & Low Battery Discharge Prevention

Hi all,

I would like to hard wire this dash cam into my 2008 BMW e92 335d. I was wondering which types of fuse taps I would need for my car? I only plan to use the dash cam when driving and not in parking mode.
just plug into cigarette lighter if that is the case. easier option. but you need to take fuse out and look at them to see what type you need.

Am I right in thinking there is still no option to extend recording time beyond 24hrs in parking mode?

I have a second battery and a roof-mounted solar panel so I'm really not that fussed about the chance of draining my battery so it just seems like an arbitrary restriction, especially when there is a low voltage cut-off.

Thanks

Shame. Maybe in the future.. have Street Guardian taken an inclination to make changes based on feedback?

SG are very much listening to their customers, and other people.
But some like me ask for things that can not be done technically, or are so far fetched it don't get far.

SG are very much listening to their customers, and other people.
But some like me ask for things that can not be done technically, or are so far fetched it don't get far.
What did you ask for??

I have sent them an email and they responded very noncommittally.. "we may review that later".. but certainly a prompt reply. I can only hope.

Edit: Found this lying around: 2019-12-18 21.43.52small.jpg
Should be able to set it to switch the dashcam's ignition input from ignition live to permanent live for 30s or so every 24hrs, if I'm lucky..

Last edited:
of course there are always ways around it as you say, that will work im sure. but you need to ahve a huge card and even better battery to make it go that long usefully and it will jstu endup burning the card and camera out quickly.

yes it has a hard limit of 24 hours
do you think this will ever get extended? I'd love the ability for it to continue to record until the low voltage detection unit cut it off.

Another vote here for more than 24 hours. Sometimes I might not drive for a couple days and it would be nice if it would go ahead and keep running. Thanks.

Maybe a timer setting named " leave it to the low voltage cut off / ∞ "

Hmm, this sounds like a good idea. If SG knows it would be an objectively bad idea all around, I will listen to that for sure.

This might seem silly to some, but could it be possible to add an option to switch WiFi on in parking mode, instead of recording?

My idea is to have a Raspberry Pi or spare phone connect to the cam and automatically download flagged clips when parked at home, since recording while parked is illegal in Denmark anyway.

Might be too niche, but I thought I might as well try and ask. :)

I dont think that is possible, or yes you can probably do that, but then i am sure it would have to be as a #2 option in the settings, so you can choose to ( switch to parking mode ) or switch to wifi data transfer mode.
But i dont think SG would be willing to add another layer of complexity like that, at least not at the present time.
It will surely have to be something they come up with them self as there are no such thing in the SDK.

Still probably not a bad way to do it, so you arrive home and stop the car, and wifi come on and your stuff at home connect and DL stuff, and then when done after some time with no wifi activity it turn that off and enter parking mode.
It is still not something i am going to use as the avid wifi hater i am, not before everything from the footage on the camera are encrypted too.

the wifi range of a dashcam are also very limites i am sure, a small radio inside a metal box + god know how many walls and meters to your receiver.

Yeah, it'd have to be an either/or kind of thing. As for range, my idea is a Raspberry Pi mounted in the garage ceiling right above the windscreen. But I suppose it's mainly a convenience feature. I could just manually switch it on before getting out of the car. :)

Yeah.
If you have a garage or for that matter car port, range should not be that much of a problem.
I have tried to turn wifi on, using my old SG9663DC system, and when with the APP connected move away from the car, and i did not get many steps before connection was lost.
I have always used the memory card in my card reader, even if that at times mean i have launched the memory card and have had trouble finding it, last time i did so was a few months ago, and with a 256GB memory card i got a week before.
First i searched my car in the light of my phone flash, but that did not work, then i went and got my 5000 lumen flashlight, and then in artificial daylight i found the memory card in one minute.

Even if i did not hate wifi so much i would get red in the face having to wait for the slow transfer speeds :)
I still get nightmares about slow internet speeds, though i got fiber in my house 10 years ago, but that was just 30/30 mbit back then as anything else was too expensive :) i now have 1 gigabit in my apartment at 1/2 the price of the fiber back then in the house.

someone made a downloader program for the blackvue cameras as i recall, but i think that was windows and that is not what people normally run on rasberry PI machines.
Street guardian keep it simple and focus on image quality, but i recon sooner or later market trends will force their hand in the smart direction.

Back